2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rumbling sound

Search this Thread

Old 10/12/05, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When traveling at speeds around 70 to 75 there is a low pitched rumbling sound its very noticable at those speeds. At any other speeds its not there. I tried it without the overdrive on to see if it was a speed issuse or a RPM issue and when I got to 70 to 75 it still did it. I was wandering if maybe the driveshaft might be a little off balance or something else. I only have a little over 800 miles on it, should I take it in to have it looked at or drive it a while longer to see if maybe it will get better. Thanks
Old 10/12/05, 07:41 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm....... :scratch:
Old 10/12/05, 07:43 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
are you sure it isn't the slight drone sound the exhaust makes at that speed
Old 10/12/05, 07:57 PM

It might be an exhaust drone. Does anyone else's do that around that speed? I had a 04 Mach 1 that got totaled while parked but thats a differnent story, anyway it didn't have the drone like the new one. Maybe its be of how the mufflers are I'm not sure. It's just kind of hard to try and describe. Thanks for the comments anyway. Just didn't know if it was normal or not.
Old 10/12/05, 07:57 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by 06mustangman@October 12, 2005, 8:41 PM
When traveling at speeds around 70 to 75 there is a low pitched rumbling sound its very noticable at those speeds. At any other speeds its not there. I tried it without the overdrive on to see if it was a speed issuse or a RPM issue and when I got to 70 to 75 it still did it. I was wandering if maybe the driveshaft might be a little off balance or something else. I only have a little over 800 miles on it, should I take it in to have it looked at or drive it a while longer to see if maybe it will get better. Thanks
We just returned from a trip through the Rockies and I noticed a similar "rumble". The exhaust develops a nice growl above 90 mph but this is different. Our car is an automatic and has about 3600 miles on it. I don't think its a problem but if others have the same thing maybe Ford will issue a TSB.
Old 10/12/05, 08:28 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by 06mustangman@October 12, 2005, 9:41 PM
Auto or manual? sounds like exhaust drone.I have not heard that on mine though.
Old 10/12/05, 08:32 PM

auto
Old 10/12/05, 10:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Kind of related, my wife's Jeep GC has the same thing. Dealership kept trying to tell us it was exhaust drone, so I took the shop supervisor out on the highway, brought it up to speed, turned off the O/D, RPM's kicked up, rumble was still there. Instant proof that it's not exhaust.

Your post doesn't really say if it's consistant at just one speed. For instance, if it's doing it at 75 with the O/D on, then turn the O/D off. Your RPM's should jump up a bit, and if the drone or rumble is still there, then it's definitely NOT the exhaust.

On my wife's Jeep, it got unbearable at 90Mph, does yours get worse at speeds above 75?

Sean

Disclaimer - That last question is not an attempt to tell you to drive your car 90Mph on the freeway, why, that would be against the law. :nono:
Old 10/12/05, 10:32 PM
FR500 Member

I've got the same low-grumble at exactly between 70 and 73 (2300 rpms) in my auto as well. It's defineatly driveline. I've went and dismissed it as normal and bought myself some loud exhaust to cover it up It worked, it's still there, but it's masked by the sweet music of my FRPP/Borla's.

It doesn't get louder at higher speeds, in fact it goes away at above 73 or below 70. Which is fine by me because during my commute I'm rarely able to hang at that speed, and if I'm not commuting, I'm having fun above 73.

I just don't feel like going in to the dealer and having to go through the rigor-morole of having them try things until they think something sticks. If I see a TSB on it, then I'll be all over it, but until then, I'll keep motoring. 14k and still running strong, I've got no worries.
Old 10/13/05, 11:31 AM

That's about exactly what mine does. It seems better at times to where you really can't hear it and other times it seems louder. I guess I will just let it go for now and do what everyone else is doing and wait to see if there is a TSB on it someday.
Old 10/13/05, 03:56 PM
Bullitt Member

mine was doing the same thing...however mine is a manual

Apparently there is a known issue and they replaced the ring and pinion on my rear.

That seems to have taken care of it....

No more rumbling right as you approach 70-73.
Old 10/14/05, 06:05 AM
Bullitt Member

I've got this going on too, but at a lower speed. Between 50 and 60 mph, I getting a grumbling resonating throughout the car. There is a peak at 52 and a more pronounced peak at 58 mph. This problem did not rear it's head until after the 4.10 gear swap. At least I didn't feel it. Perhaps it was occurring at higher speed with the 3.55's but I did plenty of driving at higher speeds with the stock gears and never noticed a vibe.

It's does not appear to be the gears as I've been through two sets with the same symptoms. My first set of 4.10's (Precision's) whined badly. My second attempt with FRPP's is nearly silent. I have the vibe with both. My installer felt this and immediately suggested that the driveshaft was to blame. He checked it and found it to be .010 out. Is this enough to cause this?

Also, I need to take the 'Stang in for a couple of other service issues and I'm concerned that they will blame my 4.10's for the vibe. Should I tell them upfront or say nothing? Anyone who has driven stock vs. 4.10's would be able to tell the difference. Or would they? I'd be pi$$ed if I was the tech and wasn't told. Would you?
Old 10/14/05, 10:12 AM
FR500 Member

I would say nothing, if you're taking it in. Since this is a 2 piece driveshaft, it doesn't really surprise me, and yes just a little bit off is bound to produce some kind of vibration or moan.
Old 10/19/05, 07:50 PM

Just wanted to let everyone know that I am taking my car to the dealer tomorrow to see if they can figure out what is causing this noise. I will let you know what it is when I get it back. If they figure it out.
Old 10/20/05, 05:33 AM
Bullitt Member

I have the same problem and been fighting it for a while now :bang: . I have V6 with the 5 speed manuel tranny. The dealrship has already replaced the drive shaft and this did not fix the issue. They will be putting in new Gears in the rear end next Tuesday.

I'll let you know if it fixes the problem.

Edit: Oh by the way I have 5,000 miles on the car and it doesn't go away it even gets louder so take it in right away and don't let them replace the drive shaft it's a waste of time. Cause everything they order is always on back order. It took me a month to get the drive shaft.

After they finally got it in, it didn't work. Then it took them a month and a half to get in the gears. Now I have to see if this fixes it. I hope so cause I'm tired of taking my new car in to get fixed over and over
Old 10/20/05, 07:29 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

you bought a Mustang and you're complaining about your car exhaust rumbling?
Old 10/20/05, 08:08 AM
Bullitt Member

It's also has a Vibration with it. Only happens around 70mph.
Old 10/20/05, 11:33 AM

It's more than just an exhaust rumble. If that were it I could live with it no problem. It does it at that exact same speed know matter what RPM, so it can't be an exhaust drone. I took it in tody I will tell you what they say about it when they call me later today.
Old 10/24/05, 09:24 PM
V6 Member

I have this exact same problem on my 06 GT manual, only it is between 65 and 70mph. It seems louder if I let off the gas and coast between that speed than if I accelerate through it.

I thought it might be the trans cover bolts missing that some 05s had, but I checked today and my bolts are there.

I am very interested to see what you all find out.
Old 10/25/05, 08:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Well she went in to the shop today to put in the new gears. They said I'll get her back tomorrow. I'll let you gusy know if it fixes this problem. OH PLEASE OH PLEASE OH PLEASE :spin:

Quick Reply: Rumbling sound