The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2005-2009 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/)
-   -   How bad is driving manual in traffic (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/how-bad-driving-manual-traffic-423651/)

King Cobra 10/24/05 08:28 AM

Is driving a manual that bad today. I had a manual about 12 years ago and found it to be fun but sometime bothersome in traffic.

Now, that car had a high pressure clutch so I don't know if todays GT manauls are easier in traffic then others.

I also wonder why they couldn't have develope a anti roll back devise when the trans is in 1st gear.

adrenalin 10/24/05 08:50 AM

I don't find it that bad. Sure there are times when I wish I had an automatic, but that is only when I am in Tim Horton's drive thru or sitting in traffic on a steep hill.

King Cobra 10/24/05 08:58 AM

My dilemma is I drive about 25 miles to work each day and about 2 times a week I have to sit in traffic and many on hills.

I really love a manual on a nice drive and would miss it.

But I fear I would be cursing it on my daily commute.

Wife can't drive a strick either, good thing and bad thing there.

Stoenr 10/24/05 09:02 AM

I like being able to roll back and freak the guy next to you out, lol. Im not tired of it yet. but its only been 2 weeks now. Was auto for last 9 years. And commute to work is 3.4 miles, not bad. The clutch in these cars is not that stiff at all. I find it a breeze to drive.

outdoorstom 10/24/05 09:07 AM

Originally posted by adrenalin@October 24, 2005, 8:53 AM
I don't find it that bad. Sure there are times when I wish I had an automatic, but that is only when I am in Tim Horton's drive thru or sitting in traffic on a steep hill.

Ahh, Timmy's coffee. Can't find better anywhere! :nice:

Driving the manual in traffic is not that bad....go for it!

King Cobra 10/24/05 09:09 AM

The clutch in these cars is not that stiff at all. I find it a breeze to drive.

This could be a key factor in driving comfortably in traffic.

If the clutch and gas work easily with each other and all it takes is a small effort to get the car rolling that wouldn't be bad.

I haven't got my car yet and have been debating hould I go auto because of the commute.

Scothew 10/24/05 09:29 AM

Yeah I found the clutch to be very light. It was to a point where I jerked the car a couple of times because I could not feel the clutch engage very well, although it did.

FinlayZJ 10/24/05 09:30 AM

I commute 24 miles each way to work in horrible Atlanta traffic. My current ride is a manual. I ordered a manual in the stang as well. I don't find it a pain to drive a stick in traffic. In fact, I doubt I will ever drive an auto again. To me, there benefits of a stick easily outweigh the negatives.

Plus, your right leg is moving all the time during your commute. Gas, brake, gas, brake, etc. Does it become tired? So what's the big deal in moving your left leg as well?

Boltzman 10/24/05 09:58 AM

Originally posted by FinlayZJ@October 24, 2005, 11:33 AM
I commute 24 miles each way to work in horrible Atlanta traffic. My current ride is a manual. I ordered a manual in the stang as well. I don't find it a pain to drive a stick in traffic. In fact, I doubt I will ever drive an auto again. To me, there benefits of a stick easily outweigh the negatives.

Plus, your right leg is moving all the time during your commute. Gas, brake, gas, brake, etc. Does it become tired? So what's the big deal in moving your left leg as well?

I'm the opposite.I drove a stick all my life and got tired of it.traffic WAS a pain for me in the end.Thats why I got auto.I may be the minority here though.Also when you go to take a sip of your drink and all of the sudden you have to down shift. :notnice: Get whatever makes you happy though.

ncmcn 10/24/05 10:09 AM

Originally posted by King Cobra@October 24, 2005, 8:31 AM
I also wonder why they couldn't have develope a anti roll back devise when the trans is in 1st gear.

Doesn't need to be developed...

Studebaker had it in the 1930s and Subaru had it on its Justy and Legacy models.

tw0scoops123 10/24/05 10:14 AM

It sucks bigtime in traffic, but if you ask me it's worth it even for maybe a few minutes out of the week when you get some open road. Nothing makes it feel more like a sports car than that shifter(besides the massive growl from under the hood).

So even if you have to spend a few hours in traffic everyday, I would say u would eventually regret it when you get that open road and wish you could do some shiftin'

freebass55 10/24/05 10:15 AM

I drive 84 miles a day in Los Angeles traffic and I have no problems.

Rondosa 10/24/05 10:33 AM

no problem here with the manual, even in traffic. i find the clutch to be very light, esp given that it's a mustang. maybe in a 5 hour bumper to bumper parking lot traffic jam i'd get a little annoyed, but the positives far outweight the negatives.

i love it and wouldn't even dream of owning an automatic, esp in the stang.

ps - i too found it really weird that the engagement point can't be felt much (at all) through the clutch pedal - my last car there would be a little thunk - this one is so smooth that all of a sudden you're rolling! i stalled it a couple of times when i first got it because of this :-D

tech 10/24/05 10:39 AM

Originally posted by FinlayZJ@October 24, 2005, 11:33 AM

Same here, but only about 18 miles in Atlanta traffic.

I agree with the benefits outweighing the negatives.......but it does just fricken' blow sometimes. On average I would say I have to depress the clutch at least 50 times each way. I drove a GT auto before I bought my manual and the performance differences are night and day.

mustangspeeder 10/24/05 10:43 AM

I haven't had any problems on hills. The clutch is pretty strong and if you release it slowly, you can stop at a point where the clutch is engaging and pulling you up the hill.

Paris MkVI 10/24/05 10:46 AM

I spend time almost daily in some traffic jams, and no regrets. Clutch in this Mustang is a breeze.

I've driven mostly manual transmissions for the last 20 years. Still prefer it to an auto.

codeman94 10/24/05 10:51 AM

I got stopped on a really steap hill on my test drive...I was really freakin...thena huge van pulled right up on my rear bumper...but surprisingly, I had no problem getting going. I was relieved. Great clutch...easy manual to drive.

wjones14 10/24/05 10:53 AM

The clutch takes very little effort to depress. Compared to my two previous Mustangs (an 87 GT and a 95 GT), it's nothing at all. The 87 clutch was like a truck and the 95 wasn't much better. The '05 clutch has hydraulic assist finally, so it's pretty much as easy to depress as your everyday Honda.

As far as auto vs manual, only you can make that call. Most of us have strong feelings one way or the other, but not sure what to tell you if you're on the fence.

Laser98 10/24/05 10:54 AM

Originally posted by FinlayZJ@October 24, 2005, 9:33 AM

I also drive about 24 miles daily in Atlanta Traffic, Acworth to Emory, which is why I bought a Carolla auto. I was getting tired of my manual so it sits in my garage collecting dust till I can trade her for an 05-06.

King Cobra 10/24/05 11:39 AM

I will make my own call in the end, but it is good to hear others experiences.

I do see the advantages and disadvantages of both.

I have sat in traffic with manuals and have been female dogging it out before.
But I have also been driving in places where it was a joy.

The difference is that I don't know how this manual compares with what I've experienced in the past.

The last manual I had was a 1978 King Cobra with a heavy clutch.

Adavntage was you could really feel when the pressure plate started to grab, and lots of contact when it did.

Disadvantage needed to use whole leg to push down not just a depression of the foot.