2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How bad is driving manual in traffic

Search this Thread

Old 10/24/05, 11:43 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have sat in traffic with manuals and have been female ******* it out before.
But I have also been driving in places where it was a joy.

OOPs guess I can't use the B word

..... manuals and have been irratated before.
Old 10/24/05, 11:48 AM
Bullitt Member

I drive in Atlanta traffic as well and although a clutch sometimes sucks I find that in my GT is alot easier to drive in traffic than other manual vehicles. Mainly being that I don't have to really give any gas when I'm creeping along.
My other vehicles I was always gas'n then stopping, now all I have to do is release the clutch
Old 10/24/05, 11:56 AM
GT Member

Mainly being that I don't have to really give any gas when I'm creeping along
That is a big thing, if all I have to do in slow traffic is let the clutch out a bit and the engine is strong enough to roll it along.
Old 10/24/05, 12:17 PM
Cobra Member

the only complaint is when your on a hill and someone is right up your hiney...i like to roll back and forth a bit that usally gets them to give me enough room to roll back a little...
Old 10/24/05, 12:33 PM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

Originally posted by King Cobra@October 24, 2005, 1:59 PM
That is a big thing, if all I have to do in slow traffic is let the clutch out a bit and the engine is strong enough to roll it along.

that's the one thing i def noticed about this car vs. my last (had a v6 motor in it) is that it's strong enough to get the car rolling without much (or any) input from the gas pedal. pretty cool!

go V8!
Old 10/24/05, 01:14 PM
Cobra R Member

I purchase a manual and drove it for three weeks in the hills. Had to use thre E brake to hold it on a hill sides at stop lights. Gave it to my son and purchased an automatic. Now we are both happy.
Old 10/24/05, 01:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by tech@October 24, 2005, 10:42 AM
Same here, but only about 18 miles in Atlanta traffic.

I agree with the benefits outweighing the negatives.......but it does just fricken' blow sometimes. On average I would say I have to depress the clutch at least 50 times each way. I drove a GT auto before I bought my manual and the performance differences are night and day.
The new five speed automatic is also like night and day compared to the 04 and earlier automatics. There isn't a performance deficit, now. The performance is about equal, but I'll admit a stick "feels" more involved. But isn't faster. The sales split is about 50:50 auto vs stick on the new Mustang. For most cars it's usually 80% or more auto.

I personally got an auto because I had rotator cup shoulder problems a few years ago while I had a SHO/5MTX and didn't want to be stuck with a stick if the problem came back again. The way I look at it is: we don't crank our window up/down anymore....why shift? I suppose some people enjoy cranking their windows.........

PLUSES for stick:
Cost less
More direct (part of the driver process)
It IS a light clutch and shifter (but it still has them!)
Burn outs are easier

MINUSES for stick:
Traction (see above) and tire wear
Traffic
Rolling
Shifting and clutching are required
Noisier (there's a hole in tranny tunnel)
Ever miss a shift @5000 RPMS???

PLUSES for automatic:
Your wife/mother/significant other can drive it
You CAN still shift manually, Yes it is fun ;-)
Less tire wear
Never in the wrong gear (passing?...darn I'm in 5th at 50!)
More relaxed...just [D]rive
Quieter
5-120 MPH+ is seamless!

MINUSES for auto:
Cost more
Can't anticipate a downshift in [D]
More "GT" than "Sports Car"
To do a "5 alarm burn out" is more work
Doesn't feel quite as fast 0-10 MPH

I've driven V6 auto and stick, and GT auto and stick, coupe and convertible. They are all pretty slick. Take your pick....you can't go wrong!
Old 10/24/05, 01:35 PM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

Originally posted by grrr428@October 24, 2005, 3:25 PM
PLUSES for stick:
Cost less
More direct (part of the driver process)
It IS a light clutch and shifter (but it still has them!)
Burn outs are easier

MINUSES for stick:
Traction (see above) and tire wear
Traffic
Rolling
Shifting and clutching are required
Noisier (there's a hole in tranny tunnel)
Ever miss a shift @5000 RPMS???

PLUSES for automatic:
You CAN still shift manually, Yes it is fun ;-)
Less tire wear
Never in the wrong gear (passing?...darn I'm in 5th at 50!)
More relaxed...just [D]rive
Quieter
5-120 MPH+ is seamless!

MINUSES for auto:
Cost more
Can't anticipate a downshift in [D]
More "GT" than "Sports Car"
To do a "5 alarm burn out" is more work
Doesn't feel quite as fast 0-10 MPH

I've driven V6 auto and stick, and GT auto and stick, coupe and convertible. They are all pretty slick. Take your pick....you can't go wrong!

This is too subjective to take anyone's advice on really. You just have to go with your gut - to be honest, I don't agree with much of this list!

the one thing i can agree with is "They are all pretty slick. Take your pick....you can't go wrong!"
Old 10/24/05, 01:47 PM
GT Member

Well I know there will be times when I will be frustrated with the manual.

But I will stick with it.

The fun times out on the road will out weight the traffic times.

Being in traffic isn't going to be forever, but being out on the open road with out a manual will.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 10/24/05, 01:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

I to have the auto, whats kind of scary, is when your go to pass somebody. And your doing about 40 or so and you step on the gas, and it down shifts one more gear then you thought it would. And boy do you take off, this has happen to me more then once. These cars need a handle above the window to hold on to.
Old 10/24/05, 02:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Rondosa@October 24, 2005, 1:38 PM
This is too subjective to take anyone's advice on really. You just have to go with your gut - to be honest, I don't agree with much of this list!

the one thing i can agree with is "They are all pretty slick. Take your pick....you can't go wrong!"
Agree or not (and I'd been driving sticks exclusively from 1978-2003) they are all issues that anyone who has ever driven a stick will have experienced to some extent or have seen. I've never rolled back into a car on a hill...but I've seen it happen...a classic 55 Chevy no less....ouch....that was sad:-(

I'm not here to argue. Do what you and your significant other want. People expect right and wrong answers on colors and options....there isn't....it's a preference. I'm quite happy with a GT automatic, and prefer it. Sticks ARE fun, but automatics aren't slushboxes anymore. They both have their advantages and disadvantages, but both are much better than they used to be IMHO.
Old 10/24/05, 02:33 PM
GT Member

I'm not here to argue. Do what you and your significant other want. People expect right and wrong answers on colors and options....there isn't....it's a preference.
There was never an arguement involved.

Just looking for others who already have experiences with the new mustang to give their Opinions
Old 10/24/05, 02:48 PM
GT Member

Manual
Easy to drive... light clutch..... bigger fun factor....
No hills here in SE Virginia, though
Old 10/24/05, 06:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I love each & every moment of the fun of it all, The best part I like to think that it helps keep my mental alertness up and all my bodily motor skills in tact. and the Growl it gives under a bridge is Cool ! no Way Cool !
Old 10/24/05, 08:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Rondosa@October 24, 2005, 10:36 AM
this one is so smooth that all of a sudden you're rolling! i stalled it a couple of times when i first got it because of this

I'm glad I wasn't the only one with a little foot to foot coordination problems.
Old 10/24/05, 08:42 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by Rondosa@October 24, 2005, 2:36 PM
that's the one thing i def noticed about this car vs. my last (had a v6 motor in it) is that it's strong enough to get the car rolling without much (or any) input from the gas pedal. pretty cool!

go V8!
Try starting off in 2nd or maybe 3rd (just to try...don't make it a habit ). It'll move without gas

And, to answer the original poster's question, I NEVER get tired of driving a manual....whether it be on hills, traffic etc. etc.... I love it. And with the light clutch of the 05, its easier to enjoy.
Old 10/24/05, 11:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Having grown up in Manila, I've gotten used to 5-6 mph rush hour traffic, especially since automatic transmissions were very rare 10 years ago. So rush hour traffic in L.A. is absolutely nothing to me. Besides, I could never get used to automatic, since my left foot's trying to step on something that's not there.
Old 10/25/05, 06:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Some people might see it like this:

Originally posted by grrr428@October 24, 2005, 2:25 PM

PLUSES for automatic:

MINUSES for auto:

Old 10/25/05, 06:59 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

I find what's good for you isn't necessarily good for everyone.

I never ONCE asked about the negative aspect of driving a manual (not that there's anything wrong with that). I just love manuals and for me a Mustang = Manual. I personally wouldn't have it any other way (again, for me).

But some people it seems almost feel pressured into buying a manual because everyone is telling them to. IMO, drive a manual car for a while and see if you like it. Drive it during rush hour. Then make a decision. If you decide manual and hate it, its going to sour your enjoyment of the car.

For me, I'd take manual over automatic and paddle shifters. I don't worry about traffic, hills/rolling (honestly, when you're good, you don't roll) or messing up a shift at 5000rpm.

What are inconvienences for most people about a manual, aren't for me. I don't mind most of the negatives and the pro's vastly outweigh them regardless.

In the end, chose what YOU like driving and don't worry about what people think. Its your car so chose your medicine
Old 10/25/05, 07:48 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the end, chose what YOU like driving and don't worry about what people think. Its your car so chose your medicine
[/quote]

Quick Reply: How bad is driving manual in traffic