Search this Thread

Old 8/19/05, 06:36 PM
Queen Of Nascar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://media.ford.com/newsroom/feature_dis...m?release=21143
Old 8/19/05, 07:39 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good info Donna. Explains why I have not heard of that being on the gas cap, since I am in Canada. However, that goes to show my point, they recommend bp because of the relationship they have with them. It has nothing to do with a fuel issue with other suppliers.
Old 8/19/05, 08:50 PM
GT Member

I'm an old guy! I don't like to use plastic & the BP station near my house demands pre-pay. I don't like to wait in line at the cash register to pre-pay & then again for my change! No way their gas is "that" much better!
Old 8/19/05, 11:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

That's correct. The only "real" difference between most gasoline brands are the additives. That's where the whole "Top Tier" ranking comes from. It's not the actual base gasoline that makes them top tier but the higher quality additives package.
I agree with Adrenalin and Tomservo and I will tell you why...

I recently went through some extensive training and visited one of the largest refineries in the United States. We asked similar questions to the head engineer for the plant, their top chemist, and the person in charge of the refinery. They stated the following, paraphrased:

If your car manual recommends you put 87 in the car do that, unless you have modified it. The reason being is cars today are programmed to work with the recommended fuel setting, if you put in 93 to a stock car that is designated for 87 you are just burning extra money, literally.

The other part is what is above. They showed us the refinery tanks and pointed out the additive tanks as well. Basically the trucks pull up and get the fuel they need, then move over and add however much of X and Y additives their particular company pays for and that is the only difference in the fuel.

Happy motoring!
Old 8/19/05, 11:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Ugly Ernie@August 19, 2005, 8:53 PM
I'm an old guy! I don't like to use plastic & the BP station near my house demands pre-pay. I don't like to wait in line at the cash register to pre-pay & then again for my change! No way their gas is "that" much better!

I'm the opposite... I haven't paid cash for gas since they started putting the card swipes in at the pumps.

Interesting marketing spin by Ford and BP though... BP will likely get an increase in business based on customers misinterpreting that label and thinking BP gas id required.