2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Fuel issues

Search this Thread

Old 8/18/05, 08:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This may have already been said but is everyone on here using bp fuels in their cars? I have a friend who is a master tech for Ford here in Dalton. He says that he was advised that its something to do with the sulfer in the other gas companies that cause issues with the tanks and pumps. Anyone else hear this. I dont need flamed for not researching. I looked and didnt see where this was said.
Old 8/18/05, 09:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Their "Ultimate" fuel is refined an extra step and will help keep the system clean but it's so expensive and at 93 octane not needed for most cars. I use only name brand fuels and put in Redline fuel system cleaner about every 3000 miles.
Old 8/18/05, 09:30 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use to work for Shell and my Father-in-law worked for BP. I personally just look for who has the cheapest gas when it comes time for filling up.
Old 8/18/05, 09:33 AM
Bullitt Member

It has nothing to do with the grade of fuel its the actual company uses less sulfer in their fuel which helps with the tank issues the mustangs have been having. I thought I would pass this info onto all of you. Just incase this has not been said. This is coming from a master tech who was wondering himself because the fuelcap or somewhere says to use bp fuels.
Old 8/18/05, 09:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Sulphur content is regulated I believe. Some refiners may go an extra to remove more sulphur than is required but no gasoline should have more than the maximum regulated by law.
Old 8/18/05, 09:52 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally posted by Andy Haynes@August 18, 2005, 9:36 AM
It has nothing to do with the grade of fuel its the actual company uses less sulfer in their fuel which helps with the tank issues the mustangs have been having. I thought I would pass this info onto all of you. Just incase this has not been said. This is coming from a master tech who was wondering himself because the fuelcap or somewhere says to use bp fuels.
How does sulfer have anything to do with the tank problems the mustangs have been having? Sulfer was added to diesel fuel as a lubricant.

A quote for one site ""Alliance members have made the call for low sulfur fuels a crusade because we need clean fuels to run clean vehicles. Due to the high sulfur content of diesel fuel, vehicles with heavy-duty engines, such as trucks and buses, have not been able to use state-of-the-art emission control technology"
Old 8/18/05, 10:22 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@August 18, 2005, 9:55 AM
How does sulfer have anything to do with the tank problems the mustangs have been having? Sulfer was added to diesel fuel as a lubricant.

A quote for one site ""Alliance members have made the call for low sulfur fuels a crusade because we need clean fuels to run clean vehicles. Due to the high sulfur content of diesel fuel, vehicles with heavy-duty engines, such as trucks and buses, have not been able to use state-of-the-art emission control technology"
My guess would be that bp refines their fuel a little better to take more of the sulfer out of the gas they use. He said he was doing a pre delivery inspection on a v8 manual car and the fuel cap reads "Ford Recomends BP Fuels". He called a senior engineer and was told it was due to the sulfer content. It was causing a problem with the cel part # po463. Your acting like I am lying about this. heck why would I have any reason to tell you different than what was stated to me. He told me this because I asked him what he thought about the new mustangs because me and the wife are looking to order a vert.
Old 8/18/05, 10:28 AM

May be good info to know. Getting my 06 in a week or two and will really look for it. Maybe they know something we dont??? It works cuz BP is actually cheaper in my area... Illinois Gas Gougers!!!
Old 8/18/05, 10:37 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use the Cheapest Gas you can find.
It's all out of the same Pipe and the Quality regulated.

I add Cleaner every 3000 KM and use Alchol Gas (90 octane) in Winter to combat moisture.
Old 8/18/05, 10:45 AM
Bullitt Member

I already use bp because its right next to my house. This was some info / a ? for some people to see if they have heard of this also. Sounds like its a band aid for a problem they are having.
Old 8/18/05, 10:58 AM
Cobra Member

I try to use retailers of "Top Tier Gas".

http://www.toptiergas.com
Old 8/18/05, 11:05 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by KansasCityTim@August 18, 2005, 1:01 PM

Thanks for the info, Good to know
Old 8/18/05, 11:21 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally posted by Andy Haynes@August 18, 2005, 10:25 AM
My guess would be that bp refines their fuel a little better to take more of the sulfer out of the gas they use. He said he was doing a pre delivery inspection on a v8 manual car and the fuel cap reads "Ford Recomends BP Fuels". He called a senior engineer and was told it was due to the sulfer content. It was causing a problem with the cel part # po463. Your acting like I am lying about this. heck why would I have any reason to tell you different than what was stated to me. He told me this because I asked him what he thought about the new mustangs because me and the wife are looking to order a vert.
Did I ever accuse you of lying? No, I didn't so sit back, relax and take a deep breath. All I said was you said that sulfer had something to do with the tank problems, which I don't think it does. I know you were just relaying information that was given to you, I'm just saying it might not be accurate. It wouldn't be the first time in history since this happened. Heck, the dealer told me my car didn't have ABS brakes and he swore to it.
I have a V8 manual car...nothing on my cap talking about bp. What is cel part # po463? I have not heard of that one before.
I never said anyone was lying.
Old 8/18/05, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by KansasCityTim@August 18, 2005, 11:01 AM

Great info to know, only problem is where i live in Chicago suburbs the only name on the list in 15mile radius is Shell whose an average of .15 to .20 cents higher than all others. (Cant see that worth it!!)

Who do I use then?
Old 8/18/05, 11:23 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally posted by Andy Haynes@August 18, 2005, 10:48 AM
I already use bp because its right next to my house. This was some info / a ? for some people to see if they have heard of this also. Sounds like its a band aid for a problem they are having.
Can you please go into greater detail on this problem? Service manager in my area has not heard of any issues relating to sulfer content levels in the gasoline. Only problem FORD is aware of is the tank problem, and that was a ventilation issue.
Old 8/18/05, 11:25 AM
Team Mustang Source

This is great, i actually had an additive question this morning, so all you gearheads listen up...

Does it do any good to put those octane boosters and fuel cleaners in your tank? Is it just hype or can they really help?

Darth

:jedi:
Old 8/18/05, 11:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Will pm you.
Old 8/18/05, 11:31 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Pretty much all gas at the pumps already have cleaners in them. Different companies use different additives. Not sure if octane boosters really help. Kinda like running 93 octane without a tune. The engine is designed for 87 octane. It doesn't really burn 93 octane properly. I know, I know, this always creates a huge debate. I can only speak from experience (and working at a gas station trying to sell additives for 6 years). Some cleaners are known to eat away at engine seals in older cars as well. Fuel additives are sort of along the line of oil additives. Some believe in them, some don't. I am one that does not. Man, trying to sell Slick 50 was the worst job of my life.
Old 8/18/05, 12:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by adrenalin@August 18, 2005, 12:34 PM
Pretty much all gas at the pumps already have cleaners in them. Different companies use different additives. Not sure if octane boosters really help. Kinda like running 93 octane without a tune. The engine is designed for 87 octane. It doesn't really burn 93 octane properly. I know, I know, this always creates a huge debate. I can only speak from experience (and working at a gas station trying to sell additives for 6 years). Some cleaners are known to eat away at engine seals in older cars as well. Fuel additives are sort of along the line of oil additives. Some believe in them, some don't. I am one that does not. Man, trying to sell Slick 50 was the worst job of my life.
That's correct. The only "real" difference between most gasoline brands are the additives. That's where the whole "Top Tier" ranking comes from. It's not the actual base gasoline that makes them top tier but the higher quality additives package.
Old 8/18/05, 04:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Slick50. What a product. I did that in two vehicles at the same time (many, many moons ago) and replaced two oil pressure sending units inside of two weeks.

I have always been a big fan of BP fuels. Cars always seemed to run better.?
Since I saw the write up I have been using Shell. Up here in mid Michigan, Shell is priced with everyone else or lower. I usually run a cleaner through the system every 3-5 k miles on my vehicles. Not convinced that they actually do anything.

Quick Reply: Fuel issues