2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Ford P.O.S. Battery

Search this Thread

Old 4/26/08, 04:38 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,077 Likes on 1,677 Posts
That's what I thought as well, until Charlie (metroplex) just brought up that he stored his 07 GT a couple of winters ago w/o using a battery tender, with the Shaker 500 turned off in the CD mode, along with arming his active anti-theft system. And yet his battery still remained strong in the spring.

So once again, I'm completely stumped. Although I agree 100% about how the interior motion sensors, are a larger draw on the battery than other sensors
Old 4/26/08, 08:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
That's what I thought as well, until Charlie (metroplex) just brought up that he stored his 07 GT a couple of winters ago w/o using a battery tender, with the Shaker 500 turned off in the CD mode, along with arming his active anti-theft system. And yet his battery still remained strong in the spring.

So once again, I'm completely stumped. Although I agree 100% about how the interior motion sensors, are a larger draw on the battery than other sensors
I had the same thing happen to me. I stored the car for the winter (Battery connected and unlocked) and it started right up this spring. A four hour round trip and a week later, the battery was flat. So I bought a yellowtop , and now consider the problem solved.
Old 4/26/08, 09:52 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
PM sent Rocky

as for the motion sensors, yeah that's what I'm refering to.
IIRC they are sonic in design. They use sound waves to detect motion.
Old 4/26/08, 11:48 PM

Thanks once again, for clearing everything up Pete.
Old 4/27/08, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by metroplex
I stored my 07 GT 2 winters ago w/o using a battery tender, with the Shaker 500 turned off in the CD mode, and armed my active anti-theft system. The battery remained strong in the spring.

At 0.1mA of draw, it would take about 45 years to deplete a 45 A-h battery.
I forgot to mention my test results of 0.1milliamps, were performed while the car was unlocked, along with the active security system disarmed. Otherwise there would've been quite a noticeable difference in the results.
Old 4/27/08, 05:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I do NOT have the active alarm system and my battery dies within a couple of weeks now. Once you have over-drained your battery once or twice, it is pretty much shot. So...maybe it is a Shaker500 issue. The darn thing tries to kill the battery as soon as I connect it up by swapping discs around. Also, my shaker has been known to lose its mind sometimes. It would be nice to have a radio that shuts off when it is supposed to.
Old 4/28/08, 11:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Add me to the dead battery club...

Car ran fine last night. Today... turn the key and just a single click. Stone cold dead. Time to get a new one. Any issues with the BX40R (upgraded battery)?

I can't say you guys didn't warn me!! The OEM battery didn't even last 3 years!!!
Old 4/29/08, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by ttbit
I do NOT have the active alarm system and my battery dies within a couple of weeks now. Once you have over-drained your battery once or twice, it is pretty much shot. So...maybe it is a Shaker500 issue. The darn thing tries to kill the battery as soon as I connect it up by swapping discs around. Also, my shaker has been known to lose its mind sometimes. It would be nice to have a radio that shuts off when it is supposed to.
If it's a Shaker 500 issue, make sure that you manually turn it off while in radio mode. Otherwise if that doesn't help, remove the radio fuse. Should removing the fuse stop the problem, then you'll know for certain you have a defective Shaker 500. In which, I would then have your local Ford dealer replace the Shaker under warranty

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 4/29/08 at 11:20 PM.
Old 5/17/08, 12:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mrkabc
Add me to the dead battery club...

Car ran fine last night. Today... turn the key and just a single click. Stone cold dead. Time to get a new one. Any issues with the BX40R (upgraded battery)?

I can't say you guys didn't warn me!! The OEM battery didn't even last 3 years!!!
I just put the BXT40R in my car yesterday. Not only is it electronically bigger than what was in my car (the BXT96R), it's physically bigger as well. I had to use only one of the chocks that held the stock battery in there. But it's in there nice and snug. I paid $108 and gave them the BXT96R that was in my car, as a core. If memory serves, that's about what a comparable Interstate battery costs.
Attached Thumbnails Ford P.O.S. Battery-dsc06675.jpg   Ford P.O.S. Battery-dsc06676.jpg  
Old 5/18/08, 12:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

All this tender and "driven regularly" stuff is wonderful and all, but mine kicked out, and it's my only car so is driven almost every day....so the battery died even though it was driven regularly.

As for the overbearing electronics, well, as much as I wish it were so, I can't ensure that I go for a drive every day. Sometimes, it sits in the port for a day or two. I might expect there to be an issue if there was a fault, or if I had added some extra components to the car...but it's stock. Knowing that, for whatever reason that's causing the drain (logical or not) it's a problem. I mean, who would buy a TV if it only worked if left on all the time? Or a washer where the tub had to be kept spinning?

A machine that renders itself inoperable by design is a little funky, don'cha think? I got a grandfather clock down the hall that has to be wound every other day. Are we now required to do the same for our cars?

I haven't looked (mainly because I'd rather not find such a thing is true) but does the manual say "In order to use the alarm system you must drive the car every day."??
Old 5/18/08, 05:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I am unsure why people are blaming the alarm system or Shaker 500/1000 because I stored my Stang for over 6 months about 2 winters ago without a maintainer. I armed the alarm system and manually turned off the Shaker. When spring came, it fired right up.

I still suspect either: faulty Shaker amplifier or a faulty SJB. Get one of those clamp ammeters and put them on the battery positive cable. See how much current is leaving the battery and start pulling fuses until it drops. Chances are pulling the radio fuse may keep your battery alive.
Old 5/18/08, 10:50 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Well don't think ALL dead battery's are from the same cause/effect.

Dead battery could be one of many things wrong.
Just so happens that in most cases its the 'not driven/started enough' category,
but it most certainly isn't the only cause of such a problem.

Could be one of numerous electrical faults and issues
Old 5/18/08, 11:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
The not being driven excuse is just Ford covering its a$$ in warranty-related replacements of the batteries. It is unlikely for a modern battery to completely discharge without being used within 30 days. The parasitic draw has to be abnormally high to do this. The electronics like active anti-theft and the radio were designed so that the stand-by current draw does not kill a battery too early. Not every car at a dealership is going to be driven or operated long enough to fully charge up a battery.
Old 5/18/08, 01:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

True, and if I knew I was going to be keeping it in the stable for a long period of time (couple weeks or more), I would address the battery, same as any car. I'm just miffed bc mine keeled over even tho I DO drive it regularly. I think the longest span of time I've gone without driving my 'Stang is maybe 8 days.
Old 5/18/08, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by metroplex
The not being driven excuse is just Ford covering its a$$ in warranty-related replacements of the batteries. It is unlikely for a modern battery to completely discharge without being used within 30 days. The parasitic draw has to be abnormally high to do this. The electronics like active anti-theft and the radio were designed so that the stand-by current draw does not kill a battery too early. Not every car at a dealership is going to be driven or operated long enough to fully charge up a battery.

Whether it's an excuse or not, there's a reason behind Ford stating the non-usage drivability factor, in it's TSB.

As for cars at dealership lots, that sit around from not being operated or driven long enough, do indeed end up with completely discharged batteries within 30 days.

In fact my dealership in particular, has encountered these very same issues quite often, in which each of their vehicles require some form of jump starting.

As a matter of fact, prior to the delivery of my 2005 GT. My dealership's sales rep. recommended that I purchase a battery tender, in the event the vehicle is neither driven or operated enough.

So why would a sales rep. recommend such a thing, unless he knew something first hand, through his dealership's own experience !

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 5/19/08 at 05:01 PM.