2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Ford P.O.S. Battery

Search this Thread

Old 2/24/08, 04:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ford P.O.S. Battery

Went to start my car and the battery is dead again. It died around 3 weeks ago and I had to get it jumped. I drove the car last Sunday on a 100 mile round trip and today I tried to open the trunk and the key fob wouldn't work so when I tried to start the car it was deader than a doornail. 20,000 miles and less than 2 years on the car. You would think that Ford could put a better battery in this car.
Old 2/24/08, 04:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
Went to start my car and the battery is dead again. It died around 3 weeks ago and I had to get it jumped. I drove the car last Sunday on a 100 mile round trip and today I tried to open the trunk and the key fob wouldn't work so when I tried to start the car it was deader than a doornail. 20,000 miles and less than 2 years on the car. You would think that Ford could put a better battery in this car.

Mine lasted 4 months less than 3 years. I replaced it with another Motorcraft battery for $100 and 3 year warranty from the dealer. I did the stock battery again so it fit the battery tray and thermal blanket correctly. I almost did the Optima battery but it was not the right size.Scott
Old 2/24/08, 04:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

I just bought a Optima yellow top ULT 9040-218. I'll see how it works out.
Old 2/24/08, 04:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I guess I've been real lucky compared to alot of other people. I bought my car in September '05 and the stock battery is still going strong, even with my mega audio/video system.

Of couse, now that I've said it, you watch...... the dang thing won't start tomorrow I bet.
Old 2/24/08, 05:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by tom281
Of couse, now that I've said it, you watch...... the dang thing won't start tomorrow I bet.

You are jinxed now!
Old 2/24/08, 05:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same here. I had to charge the battery twice and it seems to be fine as long as I..."Turn off the shaker and not alarming the car trick" and it worked. Once a week I start the car and it works fine...Unfortunately the alarm and shaker when left on seem to kill the battery fast. Every day use I am fine. Over one week with the alarm on and shaker not turned off it is dead...

I also notice I have the 500 amp battery. We were to get a higher amp battery with the alarm system...I seen this in print many times...I guess a lot of us were taken on that one...Could I go the the dealer and ask about this??? I will just buy a new one when I need it next time...Yes, the battery and leaky brake fluid are a major problem on many Mustangs...You would think these issues would be resolved by now...Other than that I am happy...But, these issues take a lot of the excitement away...

I just hope the leaky brake fluid is not a major problem in the future...Someone stated air may be getting in or other problems and then no brake function...Could be a recall on all Mustangs in the future when someone is injured over this serious problem...
Old 2/24/08, 07:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

no problems with mine...knock knock... It's been sitting since Sept and two weeks ago I figured it would be dead...but it started right up; go figure.
Old 2/24/08, 07:27 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My battery failed after sitting in the car for two months.
Old 2/24/08, 07:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dead battery

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
This has been an issue since thse cars came out..it is caused by the security system. When armed...they draw alot of juice...the battery isn't the biggest...and if left long enough..dies. It is common on many new cars these days. Father had an 07 "vette..same thing...Another guy we know with Cadillac XLR...same thing...dealer said it was security system...and cars not being driven often enough...such as leaving them sit 2 weeks..or less. Get a battery tender...they are cheap. It can be wired to battery...has a plug that you plug into wall ...keeps a very small trickle charge going. I've had an 05...and now my 07...they sit all winter..i got the tender and never a dead battery. Good luck
Old 2/24/08, 07:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had good luck this winter with mine as well, been starting with no problems.
It gave me a scare when I had to start the car today, but it did start.

So now just for insurance, the car is connected to my Ctech 3300 - that should keep me good for the rest of the winter!
Old 2/24/08, 08:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Once its been dead once, it never will be the same. I could make it 5 days of no driving if I was lucky. Tossed an Interstate battery in there and she sat for 3 weeks. Fired it up and she started like day one

Agreed, the Motorcrap batteries suck.
Old 2/25/08, 05:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I agree that the security system is a contributing factor, yet these batteries still leave alot to be desired.

By the way Rich, my car started this morning. Whew......
Old 2/25/08, 10:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've had my 05 GT since October 04 I think.

Still going strong.
Old 2/25/08, 10:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Glad I didn't get the alarm on my car. Just an idea, but if you're going to be parking the car for a long period of time, you could always disconnect one of the battery terminals. That's what I do with my motorcycle over the winter.
Old 2/25/08, 04:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

The one in my 05 lasted 2 years/10 months - replaced under warranty due to a bad cell. Now use a Battery Tender during the winter months when it does sit for 2-3 weeks
Old 2/25/08, 11:15 PM
V6 Member

I went too start my car up on sunday it was dead too It sat for 2 mouths too. And i had too charge up the battery for 15 mins before it started. I have the security system too.
Old 2/26/08, 12:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Sorry to hear of your dead battery problem.
The wonders of mass production. I've had different brands of batteries fail in a year and some have last more than 7 years. The original battery in my '05 is still going strong. It's been parked for the winter since last October. Yesterday I connected it and it fired up like like it had been driven the day before. The battery god is smiling upon me I guess.
Also, all modern cars have some current drain. The systems are NEVER completely "off" like in old cars. (pre 1980) If you're going to park these cars for more than approx. 2 weeks you need to put a charge on or disconnect the battery.
Old 2/26/08, 07:10 AM
Bullitt Member

I just had to replace my battery yesterday after about thirty months - under warranty. Since I don't drive it every day I'm going to look for a battery tender or some other device to keep a trickle charge going to the battery. My wife said she'd be happy to drive it once in a while - think I'll pass on that one.
Old 2/26/08, 11:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Sears has a battery charger on sale for 44.99 (down from 64.99). I just picked one up and it will take care of my battery problems in the future. Has a tricke charge and a full charge capabilty
Old 2/26/08, 02:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get a SMART Charger

Just a simple trickle charger will over charge your battery if left on a fully charged battery. If you want to keep your battery at a fully charged state and not “cook it” over (charge it), you really should use a smart charger, or put your trickle charger on a timer to only charge for a few hours per day.

I would suggest something like this. Deltran SuperSmart Battery Tender Plus 12-Volt 1.25 AMP Battery Charger Price: $49.99

http://www.amazon.com/Deltran-SuperS.../dp/B00068XCQU

Or this SEM-1562A - 1.5 amp Battery Companion $36.50

http://store.schumachermart.com/sem-1562a.html

The RV world has this well in hand. My 5th wheel RV has an 8+ year old battery in it that is maintained by a Smart charger. They are WELL worth the money for a battery that is not used regularly. I have this setup in my RV

Inteli-Power RV Switcher/Converter
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...=1768&src=SRQB

Intellipower Charge Wizard
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...17298&src=SRQB

Keith

Quick Reply: Ford P.O.S. Battery