2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

The DOWNSIDE of your mods...

Search this Thread

Old 6/11/07, 01:20 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Centurion96
Before and after what Chuck???
Both photos look the same, at least to my eyes. How much actual drop both front and rear did you get with the Ultra-lites? How much futzing did you have to do with your pinion angle after the drop?

BB

Semper Fi
left pic is hard to tell but it had rears only..right has both..Let me see if I have a better one of rears only
ok left is rear only and right is after front install
Attached Thumbnails The DOWNSIDE of your mods...-cimg0842.jpg   The DOWNSIDE of your mods...-cimg1407.jpg  
Old 6/11/07, 07:41 PM
Big Falken Tires

Saleen suspension kit

Pros: car is lowered but not drastically so the 4x4 look is gone but the car isn't too low. Racecraft springs, shocks, struts, front sway bar for a darn good price

Cons: no new rear sway bar included in kit

Corsa axlebacks

Pros: not obnoxious at idle and has a definite nice tone and aggressive when the rpms come up. GREAT burble on decell when you downshift coming to a stop. GREAT looking 4 inch tips. [see my avatar pic - I LOVE that shot] Had them off for a while while I tried something else and love them even more now that they are back on. Plus I seriously think since I have driven the car a bit harder lately, they have 'loosened up' and are louder at idle now.

Cons: None

MAC prochamber

Pros: great quality piece, super easy install.

Cons: with straight through Corsas, WAAAAYYYYY too friggin loud for my daily driver - like NASCAR territory [so it had to go - took it off after a week]

CDC classic chin spoiler

Pros: easy way to finish off the front of the car - muscles it up with an easy 3 minute install

Cons: complicates jacking up the front of the car but not TOO badly

Street Scene ducktail

Pros: subtle yet very noticeable way to finish off the tail of the car - adds a nice flow to the rear

Cons: I ordered spoiler delete to use it - and now that I have seen the GT500 spoiler, I am sorta bummed I can't get one

Saleen Series VI S/C

Pros: forced induction fun (what can be better?) in a stealthy package with stock hood
With VMPs tune, instant throttle response in any gear whenever you need it. Nothing like it. Making general everyday highway passes at 80mph in 5th gear with no need to downshift.

Cons: nagging pessimistic gremlin whispering in my ear about possible engine problems down the road. Also, see Falken TIRES

Falken RT 615 tires

Pros: ONLY company to make 295/40s in 18 - they look awesome and match the stock height when the car comes with Ford 18s. wicked tread pattern. Badass

Cons: terrible treadwear rating (200) and too **** soft. ONE single day of beating on them (with the stock 4lb pulley too) and approx 13K road miles and I was AT the treadwear indicators - done - kaput - cya. and for the cheap price of $250 a pop too.

Hurst comp shifter

Pros: feeling of actually being connected to the tranny (directly plugged in) as opposed to the 'vague' (in comparison) and slightly spongy feel of the stock shifter. great short throws, perfect stick height and the shift ball is perfect ergonomically. Love it.

Cons: adjustment period to get used to the different shifting dynamics. if you are tired and a bit lazy, it is easy to 'shift soft' say into fourth and not have it completely in gear before you realize it and be letting out the clutch.

Street Scene Center fog grill

Pros: great quality piece and fairly simple install. Great unique look for the pony's face.

Cons: fitting for the driver side electrical harness is TIGHT and sometimes I actually miss the big stock silver pony in the grill

BMR LCAs and Relocation brackets

Pros: completely changed the dynamics of the car. Previously, any type of determined/hard launch with the S/C would spin the tires without question. Easy to accidentally roast the tires - always second guessing going into a turn and adding gas as you are waiting for the rear to instantly break loose. After install, the car puts the power to the ground. Much more confident driving in rain as well and taking turns on the pedal. Can't say enough about how this one change helps out the car, especially when blown.

Cons: tad bit more road noise. slight sound I am dealing with occasionally when turning left.

New BFG KDW NT tires

Pros: Great tire with excellent wet and dry performance

Cons: more rolling noise due to *****in tread pattern - which truthfully, for the tradeoff in treadwear rating and the obvious difference in the great performance of the tires, I can live with.
Old 6/11/07, 07:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boltzman
left pic is hard to tell but it had rears only..right has both..Let me see if I have a better one of rears only
ok left is rear only and right is after front install
Chuck, I appreciate any pics you can come up with. Please let me know your thoughts on doing just the rear Ultra-Lite springs versus both front and rear. Thank you, Joe
Old 6/11/07, 08:29 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by semperfi65
Chuck, I appreciate any pics you can come up with. Please let me know your thoughts on doing just the rear Ultra-Lite springs versus both front and rear. Thank you, Joe
Joe, if you are thinking about getting the Ultralites, get the set of 4 and just install rear. The set costs 209.00 shipped I believe. I did this and after a while, the fact that the front was prolly 1/8 to 1/4 inch higher started bugging me. The day I got the fronts installed I was like "should have done this from the beginning" It gives it a much more agressive look but not too low.
The only problem w/ installing the fronts is that you'll prolly need camber bolts(30.00) if you drive normal but if you take corners hard and stuff you'll need steedas camber plates at 200.00(ouch). also you'll need a toe adjustment.the ride is a little stiffer but it handles better.I'm getting Dspecs in the future though If you wanna play ,you gotta pay
P.S. installing the front sometimes throws the a$$ end off center a little. If it bothers you ,you can get an adjustable panhard bar@ roughly 150.00
Old 6/12/07, 05:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Faber
also fomoco 4.10 gears will be a bit rough and rattley till they are broke in.

I installed my FRPP 4.10's and they've been dead quiet from the first test drive. The stock 3.55's had a slight howl on decel only.

My sct xcal2 tune works good for the throttle response problems but I get ping if I get on the engine too hard before it warms up and goes into closed loop.
Old 6/12/07, 01:21 PM
Cobra Member

NO MUSTANG TO MOD-feeling liker a loser and watching all of you enjoy yours,fun but patience killing.
Old 6/12/07, 01:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Boltzman
P.S. installing the front sometimes throws the a$$ end off center a little. If it bothers you ,you can get an adjustable panhard bar@ roughly 150.00
I would have thought that this would happen when you lowered the rear end. Wouldn't the stock pan hard rod rotate about the frame mounting point and push the axle to one side? Did you have to adjust your pinion angle?

BB

Semper Fi
Old 6/12/07, 09:25 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Centurion96
I would have thought that this would happen when you lowered the rear end. Wouldn't the stock pan hard rod rotate about the frame mounting point and push the axle to one side? Did you have to adjust your pinion angle?

BB

Semper Fi
The front springs are the ones that do it for some reason.I had camber bolts put on and the camber adjusted .also had a toe job
Old 6/13/07, 06:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

All this work and money (for longtubes in particular), and I only got 300rwhp/317rwtq.

Pro: At least it sounds cool.
Old 6/13/07, 09:36 AM
FR500 Member

What was your baseline before the headers?
Old 6/24/07, 06:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SixtySix
curious too.
Old 6/25/07, 07:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SixtySix
Who knows. It was on a screwed up Mustang Dyno. The lines didn't cross at 5252rpm, so it wasn't set up right. With just the C&L Racer CAI and 93 oct tune from BrenSpeed it was 287 rwhp.

If I use those #s, which we shouldn't, it would say I only gained 13 rwhp with the addition of pullies, CMCV DPs, and LT headers with catted H. But it was a warm humid day, and I was running rich (11.6:1).