2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

The DOWNSIDE of your mods...

Search this Thread

Old 3/13/07, 10:06 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Eibach Pro lowering springs....downside...rough ride and constantly bottoming out after installed StreetScene body kit. After driving the car like this for 2 years I am putting the factory springs back in. Tired of always having to repaint the front fascia and rocker panels

Update : put the factory springs back in today. Downside...looks like a 4x4 again but definately smoother ride and I don't worry as much about hitting stuff.
Old 3/13/07, 02:51 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Precisely why I've not done anything to lower the car... it sucks because I would really like to have the benefit of an improved suspension... but oh well
Old 3/13/07, 05:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
I put the Steeda Tri-Ax in my '07 and I took the advice of several people on the forums and put a rubber fender washer in-between were the shifter mounts to the body and I greased all the bushings. I don't get any noise whatsoever. I did this right off the bat so I cant compare it to how it would have been without those two "tricks" but I am noiseless and happy.
Old 3/13/07, 05:29 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by adrenalin
Eibach Pro lowering springs....downside...rough ride and constantly bottoming out after installed StreetScene body kit. After driving the car like this for 2 years I am putting the factory springs back in. Tired of always having to repaint the front fascia and rocker panels

Update : put the factory springs back in today. Downside...looks like a 4x4 again but definately smoother ride and I don't worry as much about hitting stuff.
This is why I went w/ rear Ultralites only. Granted,I don't have your body kit,but even if I did I would be alright!
Old 3/13/07, 05:31 PM
GTR Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boltzman
This is why I went w/ rear Ultralites only. Granted,I don't have your body kit,but even if I did I would be alright!
Yep! Same here... Well, I put the front Ultralights on, too. Not much different than stock, but it does drop the front down a hair.
Old 3/13/07, 06:17 PM
Cobra Member

I was going to do the rear only but after some research found that it has adverse effects on the suspension geometry.
Old 3/13/07, 06:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The down side is once you start modding it becomes an addiction and very hard to stop.
Old 3/13/07, 08:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
I am amazed by how many things I have added to my 'Stang since my last post in this thread! Along with the new mods came new "down sides" - so here I go again posting my new stuff.

FRPP Strut Tower Brace
PRO: Looks cool as hell if/when the hood is up.
CON: Made no perceptible difference in handling or stability, and no one sees it!

Saleen HIDs
PRO: Lights up the road great, looks stock, cool to have "real" HIDs.
CON: Freaking things cost me $1200. And then several weeks later Saleen reduced the price to around $800. Reflectors burned due to design flaw and Saleen told me to go "pound sand" since they were beyond the 1 year warranty AFTER I made the trip to their Irvine facility and allowed my car to be a "guinea pig" for testing purposes in hopes of getting a replacement set. Nice. Thanks a lot a**holes...

Gentek compass/temp/Homelink rear view mirror
PRO: Cool display telling you how hot it is outside and what direction you are going. Not having a garage door clicker anymore rocks.
CON: $300 for a rear view mirror??? I must be nutz. Also, I'm a guy, I never get lost. What do I need a compass for?!?

Phillips HID Fog Lights
PRO: It's cool to have FOUR HID lights in front, and it lights up the road tremendously!
CON: It blasts people in the rear view mirror quite badly due to the foglight housings not being designed for HID bulbs. May attract Law Enforcement attention (hasn't so far). Was a PITA to install due to having to figure out where to mount ballasts.

GT500 Spoiler
PRO: Looks cool as hell! A lot different than that crappy stock spoiler, and uses the stock bolt holes!
CON: Costs a grip and you have to get it painted.

CDC Chin Spoiler (textured finish)
PRO: Makes the car look lower than it is, finishes the body line started by the rocker moldings.
CON: Textured finish doesn't quite go with the rest of the car and can't be painted body color, making the chin spoiler look like a tacky add-on.

Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
PRO: Professionally designed UDP set, certified balanced, looks much nicer than stock harmonic balancer.
CON: I can't tell any performance gain, and most certainly not a performance gain worth $300 and a back ache.

C&L Aluminum CAI and Bamachips Xcal 2 91 Perf Tune:
PRO: Car moves out a LOT better with the tune and intake. Aluminum CAI looks cool as hell!
CON: 91 octane gas is currently $3.30/gallon... SIGH...

GT/CS Side Scoops
PRO: Looks cool as hell from the front of the car. Is unique with regard that only California Specials have them (and us posers that put them on)
CON: Looks like crap from the rear of the car, bulges don't match body lines. Drilling your quarter panels not for the faint of heart. And, cost of the items expensive, not to mention having to get them painted is a PITA.

FLOWMASTER AMERICAN THUNDERS
PRO: Sounds good - compliments from people (including Saleen techs at the Irvine facility) about "muscle car" sound! Easy install.
CON: Not loud enough to suit me at times. Crappy clamps supplied by Flowmaster required me to work on them again and again to re-tighten them until I got ****ed and tossed them in favor of $2 Autozone saddle clamps.

MRT HOOD STRUTS
PRO: It's great not having a stupid prop rod! Just pop the hood and it opens up and STAYS up. No holes to drill!
CON: The install, since I did it by myself, allowed the hood to slide down and out of alignment. I *still* haven't been able to align my hood properly despite repeated attempts. I have to slam my hood repeatedly to close it.

And that's it so far! I have a Steeda Tri-Ax waiting for an install, and I sure wish I had reviewed the beginning of this thread before buying it. Now I am wondering if I should bother. Ah, the agony!!
Old 3/13/07, 08:38 PM
GTR Member

hey Art,did you loosen up the midclamps before tightening flow clamps? I had the same problem w/ my FRPP's and this solved it!
Old 3/13/07, 08:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
hey Art,did you loosen up the midclamps before tightening flow clamps? I had the same problem w/ my FRPP's and this solved it!
Hi Boltzman...

Oh yes... Many times!!! (well, three to be precise).

Bottom line is the Flowmaster clamps SUCK and I have had NO problems ever since I got the saddle clamps. Best $2 I have ever spent!
Old 3/13/07, 08:42 PM
GTR Member

I'll keep those in mind in case mine go on the fritz!
Old 3/14/07, 11:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
1. FRPP suspension...front swaybar link nuts need to be replaced & tightened every 10K miles to prevent clunking sound.

2. Wheels: need to be extra-cautious of curbs.

3. C&L w/ Tune: spend a little more on gas

4. GTA Exhaust: My neighbors always know when I come home late at night.
Old 4/6/07, 12:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Had my car for a year and has 3200 miles, at least half are on-track miles. The power train has been left stock. This chassis is awsome from the factory compared to past models.
Car has been ultra reliable, only had a problem with the fuel guage sticking at 1/2 when tank was empty, figured that out the hard way.

Steeda Springs. 275-35-18
Pros
work well on the road coarse
Cons
none

Hoosier GAC Slicks
Pros
Dropped lap times 3 seconds at Sebring
Cons
I can't go back to anything else

Hawk HP+ brake pads
Pros
Excellent on the road coarse
Cons
Squeek and dirty the wheels when driven on the
street

Motul 600 fluid
Pros
High boiling point
Cons
None noted

Want to buy a Hurst shifter-where is the best place to buy one?
Mods to come is the GT500 Brembo's and some suspension upgrades.

My mods in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgPYJYah-UI
Old 4/6/07, 06:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

Magnacharger SC
Pros: Much faster off the line and through the gears
Cons: Roasting the tires has caused extreme rear tire wear.
Must use 93 octane at $3.00/gal.
Fuel mileage has dropped excessively
Old 4/6/07, 01:59 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2bone123
Magnacharger SC
Pros: Much faster off the line and through the gears
Cons: Roasting the tires has caused extreme rear tire wear.
Must use 93 octane at $3.00/gal.
Fuel mileage has dropped excessively
Wish I had your problems!!!
Old 6/11/07, 08:26 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm thinking it's about time to bring back this thread. How about any information on Ultimate pedals, and running your car with just the Steeda Ultra-lite springs installed just in the rear?
Old 6/11/07, 08:41 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by semperfi65
I'm thinking it's about time to bring back this thread. How about any information on Ultimate pedals, and running your car with just the
Steeda Ultra-lite springs installed just in the rear
?
rides fine but front was higer than the rear and it bothered me after a while..Before and after front install pics:
Attached Thumbnails The DOWNSIDE of your mods...-cimg0844.jpg   The DOWNSIDE of your mods...-cimg1411.jpg  
Old 6/11/07, 09:16 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
rides fine but front was higer than the rear and it bothered me after a while..Before and after front install pics:
Before and after what Chuck??? Both photos look the same, at least to my eyes. How much actual drop both front and rear did you get with the Ultra-lites? How much futzing did you have to do with your pinion angle after the drop?

BB

Semper Fi
Old 6/11/07, 09:19 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Horseowner
I've completed several mods that have been a real mixed bag. :notnice:

3.- C&L Cold Air Intake: A mixed bag. The aluminum design gets HOTTER THAN BLAZES inside the engine compartment- hardly a good idea for a "Cold" air intake. Clearly (in my mind) this was a case of someone in design/engineering not thinking very clearly. It's anything BUT a "cold-air intake" but it does increase the MAF size and move more air... just HOTTER air.

I'm satisfied with the performance gain: the net measured gain WITH the appropriate C&L tune via Diablosport Predator was 15 HP COMPARED to the factory air intake after removing the trap and replacing the stock element with a K&N element. (I didn't do an absolute factory/stock baseline) So I'm GUESSING there was probably a total of 20 HP gain from the C&L/Diablosport duo compared to bone-stock factory. :scratch:

Steve :drive:
is there any real danger of the C&L getting too hot? what's the worse case scenario? i have a C&L CAI, but i don't drive long enough distances to get really hot.
Old 6/11/07, 10:24 AM
Team Mustang Source

Of all the mods in my signature, I don't think I've had any bad feeling about any of them in regards to the purchase. The ones I'm most pleased at are as follows:

Redline Tuning Hood Struts: Wonderful product, and excellent customer service. If you can get over the drilling into your car hangup (and it isn't a big deal) these are THE BEST on the market!

G2 caliper paint. Excellent product, and it looks factory. Had many compliments, and its holding up extremely well. Calipers almost look powercoated.

Street Scene Center Grill- OEM quality at a great price. Plus, I'm one of a VERY SMALL few who has this in my area, so its still unique

SilverhorseRacing Louvers- THE BEST OUT THERE!! Marcello is the MAN!!

Borla Stingers- Old school sound and you can't see the mufflers from behind the car

And lastly, my American Racing Long Tube Headers- WOW!!! HOLY ****, these are INCREDIBLE!! WHAT A SOUND!!

The only real downside is the cost, but if you can't pay, don't play, I guess.

Quick Reply: The DOWNSIDE of your mods...