2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Brake fluid leak

Search this Thread

Old 11/30/06, 08:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That might be a cheap fix. But, it's not the right fix. The right fix is to flatten out that lip top (the seal surface) or replace the whole reservoir. I would be willing to bet that a 0.79 cent washer is going to stop the leak for a while, but only for a while.
Old 11/30/06, 08:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I too have been dealing with the leak. For me, even 20 wraps of Teflon tape have failed to stop the leak. Tonight I got a turkey baster and removed enough fluid to take the level down in between the min and max points. I hope that fixes it.

It’s run down my master cylinder and onto the engine bay bubbling the paint. Is this something that I should get fixed or is it purely an aesthetic thing? Will having the dealer replace the reservoir resolve the issue permanently?
Old 11/30/06, 09:13 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've tried the washer fix, the removing the fluid fix... neither is really a fix.

The washer causes the cap to close sort of crooked and caused brake chatter... probably because it wasn't properly sealed.

The removing fluid has been great until yesterday when I had the same chatter and it leaked.

I guess I'll have to take it in like Joe said and hope they give me a reservoir that is properly formed.

How would you tell Joe? Just by looking?
Old 11/30/06, 09:28 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Imatk
I've tried the washer fix, the removing the fluid fix... neither is really a fix.

The washer causes the cap to close sort of crooked and caused brake chatter... probably because it wasn't properly sealed.

The removing fluid has been great until yesterday when I had the same chatter and it leaked.

I guess I'll have to take it in like Joe said and hope they give me a reservoir that is properly formed.

How would you tell Joe? Just by looking?
Cap can't cause chatter.

I have no leaks in over 6 months. I made sure my cap didn't close crooked by using a thin gasket.
Old 11/30/06, 09:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by karman
Cap can't cause chatter.

I have no leaks in over 6 months. I made sure my cap didn't close crooked by using a thin gasket.

+1
Old 11/30/06, 09:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
It's a cheap fix that Ford should have implemented years ago. This is the cracking intake manifold all over again.

tell me more, this is my first ford. i was all GM b4 the s197 came out
Old 11/30/06, 10:10 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by karman
Cap can't cause chatter.

Umm Ok well obviously something in the brake system isn't sealed. Leaving air to get in or more importantly OUT... thus causing chatter.

Now if the reservoir is leaking...perhaps that's it???

I also used a thin gasket. The simple fact is there is a problem with the design of the reservoir. Or perhaps there are problems with the manufacturing of the reservoir since obviously several people have had this problem.

Either way Ford should issue a redesign/ recall or whatever. It's really great that you haven't had a leak in six months...some of us aren't so lucky and would really like a fix that comes from Ford not Home Depot.
Old 12/1/06, 02:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by official_style
tell me more, this is my first ford. i was all GM b4 the s197 came out
In the 1996 model year, Ford stated using an all composite intake manifold on the 4.6 2V V8 used in the Mustang GT, Ford Crown Vic / Grand Marquis / Town Car, T-bird, Cougar, etc... Around 1997-1998, many owners experienced exploding intake manifolds. The front coolant crossover passage ruptured and would spew out coolant all over the place. Ford's solution? Just replace them under warranty. From 1996-2001 model years, Ford would only replace the intake manifolds that cracked under warranty. Out of warranty? You're SOL - pay up $800+ to replace it at the dealership with yet another POS all composite intake. For the 2002+ models, Ford used an aluminum crossover for the front coolant passage and this fixed the problem. In 2005, there was a large class action lawsuit to get owners reimbursed for the intake repair, or for owners to get a free replacement. Ford obliged but it took nearly 10 years after the introduction of the part, and a class action lawsuit to get anything done. Toyota or Honda would have recalled the intakes around 1997-1998, people would complain about perceived Japanese quality, blah blah blah, but it would have been fixed much earlier. The brake fluid leak on the S-197 GTs sounds like the intake manifold situation all over again

BTW, if you look at your 4.6 3V V8, you will see an all aluminum coolant crossover in the front as it was derived from the fix issued in 2002.