2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Brake fluid leak

Search this Thread

Old 7/13/06, 07:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well they still havent fixed the paint. I work nights so I hardly have a chance to drop the car off
Old 7/14/06, 04:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by The Lyin' King
Just an FYI . . .

I had a small leak as the reservoir was always slightly "wet" around it's perimeter. I checked the booster, firewall and frame . . . sure enough, all were compromised with "blistering" paint.

Took it in to the dealer and they replaced the reservoir, master cylinder, booster and painted the areas that were compromised.

The repair sheet stated that they discovered a seal that was bad between the master cylinder and booster. The new reservoir is a different piece and the mark indicating the "full" fluid level is definately a lot lower in the reservoir.

I'll be keeping a close eye on the deal and will modify the cap with an additional internal rubber gasket as others have done should the problem continue.
Well, I've had it back for 2 days now and looked under the hood to check for leaks when I stopped at the dealership to get some friction modifier for a rear diff lube change . . . it was still leaking! Luckily the fluid hadn't yet run down on the booster, firewall or frame.

Grabbed service writer dude and dragged him out to the parking lot to show him, he couldn't believe it.

That's when I whipped out a copy of the "A simple fix the brake oil reservoir leak" from Badsnke98 that I had with me . . .

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showth...+fix+brake+oil

and showed it to him . . . which sent him running to find a copier machine!

He said "it was $200 JUST to fix the paint on my car (it was still under warranty thankfully) all for want of a .45 cent rubber gasket?" and something to the effect that "Ford should have done it right the first time around".

I bummed a shop rag from him, wiped the reservoir off and hit the local hardware store down the street where I picked up a 1 1/2" OD X 1" ID * 3/32" thick rubber "Union Washer" for .59 cents made by "Lincoln Products" in the plumbing department.

I pulled the belows from under the cap right there in the parking lot, slapped the washer in and put the bellows back in. The 1" ID fits perfectly around the three little tabs under the cap which help to center it. The cap fits nice and snug now and I'm pretty sure it's going to resolve the problem.
Old 7/15/06, 02:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well I havent had another leak (knock on wood) and hopefully it will stay that way. I FINALLY got the service manager to schedule me a time for paint and a time frame for when it would be done. At least I get a rental car. I just wish they had Mustangs for rentals!
Old 7/21/06, 09:37 PM
V6 Member

I did as has been recommended by taking some brake fluid out of my 06. It is now approx. 1/4" below the full mark and no more leak...
Old 7/22/06, 02:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well they finally fixed all the paint. I also got one of the guys to cut my hood for the shaker hood scoop, it looks bad ***!
Old 7/23/06, 11:08 PM
GT Member

So what is the dealer responsibility on damage paint on the brake booster and elsewhere? are they required to replace it or fix it? what is the actual fix on the leak?
Old 7/23/06, 11:11 PM
GT Member

What do you guys usually do with problems like this....take it to the service manager? or just to one of the service "advisors", have them check it out with you? or just mentioned it to them?
Old 7/24/06, 06:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Tyson
So what is the dealer responsibility on damage paint on the brake booster and elsewhere? are they required to replace it or fix it? what is the actual fix on the leak?
If the the paint or damage was caused by the parts under warranty then yes they have to fix it. I never could get a answer but I believe my problem was more then just the cap leaking. They fixed the issue and took care of the paint so no complaints from me.
Old 7/28/06, 10:18 AM

Mine has been leaking also, not so much that it has bubbled any paint up, but I have the Wilwood Superlite 6 kit. They will probably try to tell me that my new brakes voided the warranty on the master cylinder, booster and everything else all the way to the pad on the pedal.... I will talk to my guy today.
Old 7/29/06, 07:47 AM
Bullitt Member

I just called my local dealership (in Hampton Rds Virginia area) to see if I could get an reservoir cap (so that I could experiment with it by placing the rubber washer in it, etc.) and they said they did not carry it...6 other Ford dealerships in the area said they didn't carry them either. The only other Ford dealership that did have one was in Richmond (about 100 miles away). I told them about the leaking cap problem and the parts manager said he wasn't aware of it (?????)...the cap costs around $17.
Old 7/29/06, 08:09 AM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sonic Boom NH
I did as has been recommended by taking some brake fluid out of my 06. It is now approx. 1/4" below the full mark and no more leak...
Same here. It'll work until there is a better fix.
Old 7/29/06, 12:20 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mark S.
I just called my local dealership (in Hampton Rds Virginia area) to see if I could get an reservoir cap (so that I could experiment with it by placing the rubber washer in it, etc.) and they said they did not carry it...6 other Ford dealerships in the area said they didn't carry them either. The only other Ford dealership that did have one was in Richmond (about 100 miles away). I told them about the leaking cap problem and the parts manager said he wasn't aware of it (?????)...the cap costs around $17.
Mark you can use your existing cap very easily. The bellows comes out without any damage or anything.

BUT I did this and experienced some brake problems. Brake chatter when braking hard. So I removed the gasket... no more chatter.

I also removed some fluid. Don't know if I removed enough, but it hasn't leaked since I did it... it's been about a week now.
Old 7/29/06, 01:55 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Imatk
Mark you can use your existing cap very easily. The bellows comes out without any damage or anything.

BUT I did this and experienced some brake problems. Brake chatter when braking hard. So I removed the gasket... no more chatter.

I also removed some fluid. Don't know if I removed enough, but it hasn't leaked since I did it... it's been about a week now.
Shouldn't be a connection between reservoir and chattering. Two seperate things. You would have to drive for thousands of miles to create a vacuum in the reservoir strong enough to affect the braking. How many miles did you drive?
Old 7/29/06, 02:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Imatk, I did go to ACE and picked up the washer...but after what you've experienced I'm not going to install it...I did come up with something...not very fancy....but I found the "tubed" cotton which my wife comes back from the spa with (they wrap this six inch cotton tube (has a diameter of about a half inch or less) around her toes for the pedicure and painting)...so I cut about an inch piece and wedged it (using a small flat tip screwdriver) into the area where the cap meets the reservoir and where I saw the fluid coming from (12 o'clock position on the cap--with the car's front end pointing at 12 o'clock). Anyway we will see how much fluid this piece of "tubed-shaped" cotton can absorb before I will have to change them. This is pathetic...brand new car, and having to do this.
Old 7/29/06, 05:09 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by karman
Shouldn't be a connection between reservoir and chattering. Two seperate things. You would have to drive for thousands of miles to create a vacuum in the reservoir strong enough to affect the braking. How many miles did you drive?
Well let's put it this way... I put the gasket in, drove about three blocks and hit the brakes... they chattered.

I got home and contimplated taking it out but didn't. Thought it may have just been conicedence. Drove the next night and same thing.

Took out the gasket... no more chatter. I've been driving it for a little over a week without the gasket and no chatter.

But I agree with Mark... the fact that this hasn't been addressed by Ford is pretty **** ridiculous.
Old 7/29/06, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by FireFighterHill
On the new resivour the high mark seems lower then on the original it looks like where it is now would be in the middle mark on the old resivour.
This appears to be the official Ford fix. No real recall, if dealership orders new reservoir they get one with different marking. Lower full mark, less chance of leak.
Old 7/29/06, 08:34 PM
Bullitt Member

karman,

I guess it sounds like the reservoir (old one) will eventually get itself to the new reservoir's attributes by losing enough brake fluid so that it won't leak out anymore...so if I wait long enough (and keep soaking up the brake fluid with my tubed cotton stuck around the base of the leaking cap) eventually it will stop...
Old 7/29/06, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mark S.
karman,

I guess it sounds like the reservoir (old one) will eventually get itself to the new reservoir's attributes by losing enough brake fluid so that it won't leak out anymore...so if I wait long enough (and keep soaking up the brake fluid with my tubed cotton stuck around the base of the leaking cap) eventually it will stop...
Other people have just taken some fluid out so the level is lower and forgotten about the whole thing. That might be the easiest way out.
Old 7/30/06, 05:51 AM
Bullitt Member

karman, roger that...right now my brake fluid sits exactly at the "Max" level mark...I guess I could remove a little bit and see if that works. (Though I do prefer that all my fluids read at or near that mark).
Old 8/17/06, 09:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

UPDATE: Leak came back. Took it back in talked to the service manager. He was stumped. I told him of the things id read on here and the different solutions. He suggested I take a small amount of fluid out, so I did. I took out about 1/4 to 1/3 inch. Problem seems to be better but only time will tell for sure/

Quick Reply: Brake fluid leak