2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

2006 Mustang Father & Son Online Build Project Journal

Search this Thread

Old 10/24/23, 08:21 AM
GT Member

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2006 Mustang Father & Son Online Build Project Journal

I've always been a Mustang guy. My first car was a early 65 Convertible with a straight 6, I then moved up to a 65 2+2 with a 289 backed by a four speed and the list goes on. My last Mustang was a 1986 Fox body GT convertible. I had to part it because we were having twins and no matter how ingenious you are you cannot fit three car seats in the back of a Mustang. So since 2007 that has been sitting and taunting me. At this point it requires far more to become road worthy then I can manage at this time (Bad knees and no garage). Well recently my older son expressed an interest in cars and wanted to go in on one when he got out of school. Well he is now out of school and this 2005 practically fell into our hands. So together we went in on it. Its by far no where near as nice looking as the cars seen on this forum but its ours and I feel it has potential. She will be going to the garage tomorrow for an oil and fuel filter change. I will have them give it a once over while its on the lift so i we have an idea of what we need to do.

Its a 2005 Coupe, V6, Black with a Parchment interior

We didn't see the original horse and grill hiding behind the current one. haha

Aftermarket halo lights. Does anyone know these can be fixed if some of the lights are inop?

18 inch American Muscle Wheels

Quarter window covers

Sequential tail lights

The worst thing so far is this quarter, and the rust on the wheel well and at the rocker just forward of the rear wheel

It needs some TLC but its mine, it runs great for a car with 154 thousand miles. And its a car my son and I can build together. That in and of itself is priceless

Thanks for taking the time to look
Old 10/24/23, 08:28 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,861 Likes on 2,112 Posts
Hey Buddy!

Finally Some Pics! Looking Good! Those Headlight are Crusty Anyhoo! Be A Booger to Even Get Haze Off. I Would Go Back to These! Looks Like a GT Front Bumper Got Installed at Some Point!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...please-550519/

I Like Those Wheels! Some New Lugs and a Some Detailing on the Rotors & Calipers and They Will Look Really Sharp!

Did You See This Thread I Found! The Car is Black With Parchment Interior as Well!

Love Black & Gold Even if Just Rocker Stripes! HMMM I Think I Got Some Gold Rocker Stripes Somewhere!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...4/#post5373303

KC
Old 10/24/23, 08:54 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
Hey Buddy!

Finally Some Pics! Looking Good! Those Headlight are Crusty Anyhoo! I Would Go Back to These! Looks Like a GT Front Bumper Got Installed at Some Point!

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...please-550519/

I Like Those Wheels! Some New Lugs and a Some Detailing on the Rotors & Calipers and They Will Look Really Sharp!

KC
Yes, I was happy to find it had the GT bumper. I was playing around last night and the wheels look like they will clean up nicely.

There are a boatload of lights out there to choose from. These are just a couple that caught my eye. I like the top one for its throwback to the 65, 66 mustangs. The bottom one is just kinda cool. But right now I'm not in a rush to replace them. The car did come with the originals so I have replacements should these fail or crap out

Old 10/24/23, 08:56 AM

Just Noticed The Very Rare Alternator Cover. I think they only Had those a Short time. Look on Your Underhood Padding. Some of the Early Cars Had a Pony Embossed in them. Another Rare Item!

KC
Old 10/24/23, 09:04 AM

Are You Going to Do a Piece By Piece on Your Efforts in this Thread? That Would Be Great! A Start to Finish Journal of Sorts! It's Been Awhile Since Anybody Has Done One. As Far as Your Lights the Top Ones Would Be My Choice of the Two Shown.

My Thread with the Lights Were the Best Buy For an Oem Style Lamp at the Time.

Anyhoo if You Can Do the Build Online Great if Not Whatever You Want to Post is Fine, Just Want to Throw That Out There!

I Noticed the Fuel Door is Peeling. If it Were Mine I Would Hit it with Paint Remover and Then Polish a Bit. It is Metal?? Anyhoo Just a Suggestion!

Kc
Old 10/24/23, 10:01 AM
GT Member

I would document it here, That would be fun. I like the look of those fuel doors but this one needs to be replaced. I think this is where the water is coming in and rusting the fender.

Last edited by dirkpitt289; 10/24/23 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10/24/23, 10:10 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 05stangkc
Are You Going to Do a Piece By Piece on Your Efforts in this Thread? That Would Be Great! A Start to Finish Journal of Sorts! It's Been Awhile Since Anybody Has Done One. As Far as Your Lights the Top Ones Would Be My Choice of the Two Shown.

My Thread with the Lights Were the Best Buy For an Oem Style Lamp at the Time.

Anyhoo if You Can Do the Build Online Great if Not Whatever You Want to Post is Fine, Just Want to Throw That Out There!

I Noticed the Fuel Door is Peeling. If it Were Mine I Would Hit it with Paint Remover and Then Polish a Bit. It is Metal?? Anyhoo Just a Suggestion!

Kc
Not sure if I mentioned this to you but, the 6 guage cluster and the aftermarket face plate (white) arrived yesterday. Now I'm just wating on the switch from that dealer down south...
Old 10/24/23, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by dirkpitt289
I would document it here, That would be fun. I like the look of those fuel doors but this one needs to be replaced. I think this is where the water is coming in and rusting the fender.
Just Get Out The Garden Hose And Position Directly Over Fuel Door But Over Towards Center of The Car a bIt to Simulate Rain and See What is Going On. Also Need to Inspect Fuel Pipe Shield. It Maybe Cracked!

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts...6327936-b.html

Also Insulator

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts...ontrols,,9A212

KC
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2005 MustangFuelbezel.pdf (230.9 KB, 33 views)
Old 10/24/23, 10:54 AM

Not sure if I mentioned this to you but, the 6 guage cluster and the aftermarket face plate (white) arrived yesterday. Now I'm just wating on the switch from that dealer down south...
Hoping For a Seemless Install!

Very Cool!

Kc
Old 10/24/23, 11:40 AM
GT Member

Question for the group.

Are these buttons always blank or are they reserved for specific options? If so what options?

Anyone know what this part is called? Trick question... I'm referring to the card that covers the access screws.

Old 10/24/23, 11:55 AM

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/page_...=&pnc=%3C22620

Escution! Say that Fast 5 Times!

It Has the Traction Control Switch For Cars with ABS on the Left and Airbag Light on Right.

PDF Owners Manual

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...p-ford-549326/

KC

With Traction Control
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Ford2005Manual.pdf (2.31 MB, 23 views)
Old 10/24/23, 12:39 PM
GT Member

Well look at that, I learnt something....

Thanks for the information, buddy
Old 10/24/23, 04:53 PM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 130 Likes on 93 Posts
Hey congrats on the car! It will be fun to build it with your son. Thats rather awesome.
Car def needs some TCL but it will get there. I have a 06 GT and I have been working on it in my driveway for the past 2 years since I got it. It was in poor shape and I felt bad for it. haha.
Its my 2nd Mustang. My first was a 07 v6 and I still miss that thing.
I have a lot of extra parts so if you need something Ill be happy to sell. haha ;-)
Oh and if you ever need a new ALT, I do have the 2010 Denso alt for the v6. They are tons better then the ones that came with the car.

I agree with KC though, those wheels look sharp!
Old 10/24/23, 06:29 PM
GT Member

Wink

Originally Posted by VGMStudios
Hey congrats on the car! It will be fun to build it with your son. Thats rather awesome.
Car def needs some TCL but it will get there. I have a 06 GT and I have been working on it in my driveway for the past 2 years since I got it. It was in poor shape and I felt bad for it. haha.
Its my 2nd Mustang. My first was a 07 v6 and I still miss that thing.
I have a lot of extra parts so if you need something Ill be happy to sell. haha ;-)
Oh and if you ever need a new ALT, I do have the 2010 Denso alt for the v6. They are tons better then the ones that came with the car.

I agree with KC though, those wheels look sharp!
Thanks for stopping by and the offer for parts. You never know what I will need
Old 10/25/23, 06:43 PM
GT Member

Good evening Mustang Maniacs. As per a suggestion I received we are going to turn this into a on going thread to document the progress of the car. So we will add pictures and comments as we go along. For right now I want to bring it up to speed.

The day we bought the car we got it registered and titled. Because the gas gauge is in-op the first thing we did was take it to a gas station to top it off. Last thing I want to do is run out of gas. One of the issues the previous owner mentioned was that he believed the car had a leak in the intake manifold. He said he saw a wet spot and smelled antifreeze. We didn't see it but I thought he knew best about his car so while we were at the gas station I popped the hood and was looking and sniffing when all of a sudden there was a gusher of antifreeze flowing down the front of the motor. We paid the attendant and got the car home in short order. Turns out the we had a crack in the thermostat housing.

The next day we were able to get a new housing from Auto zone and set forth making the repair. Not only was this the first project on the road to bringing this car back to life it was my sons first time getting his hands dirty. I was to preoccupied teaching my son and didn't get any photos other then these

here you can see by the white residue where the leak was. The repair took us about 2 1/2 hours with a break to go apple picking with the family between disassembly and reassembly

Once the leak was fixed I showed the boy how to replace the cabin air filter, and cleaned out the drain plug. We found water on the passenger side floor so I hope that was the issue.

The next couple days we only took the car on short drives around the neighborhood just in case there was still a leak in the intake like the owner had thought. I think its safe to say there is no leak, what he smelled was coming from the thermostat housing.

Thank you for taking the time to check out my silly little project. Till next time...

B - Strong
Old 10/25/23, 06:53 PM
GT Member

This afternoon I took the car for its first car wash. I was surprised to find a Mustang hidden under all the dirt and grime

It may not look like much in these pictures but its a night and day difference. I think its as good as a 154 thousand mile paint job is going to get but I tell you, it feels good to drive a clean car. The next thing will be to clean those 18" American Muscle wheels. We tried a little de-greaser on them the other night and they cleaned up really well. This is good news because now there is no need to even think about getting new rims. This is a task I will have the boy do. My *** is too old and my knees are too far gone to get down and clean the wheels. Wow, all those sleepless nights and all those dipers that had to be changed are really starting to pay off! HAHA

The following users liked this post:
crjackson (10/26/23)
Old 10/25/23, 07:23 PM
GT Member

Today was my day to go into the office (I only have to be on site once every two weeks) and decided to take the Mustang to my mechanic who is only a couple blocks from my office. I figure let them do and oil change and change the fuel filter. I also wanted him to go through the car and see if there is anything we missed that it will need mechanically. He would have a great advantage to find things with the car being on the lift. On the way the car started pulling to the the left. This was something new. When I stopped to get my morning coffee I found that my left front tire was losing air. I was worried about being able to make it to the garage before it went completely flat, but I made it. Turns out it was the valve stem that was leaking. They didn't charge me... HAZA!

Turns out he didn't find anything that we didn't already know about and none of which is detrimental t the safety of the car. HAZA! Another win

Tomorrow I'm taking it to Inspection. The last of the current hurdles. After that its off to the body shop where my cousin works and see if we can get an idea of what it will cost to fix the driver side rear quarter and a paint job. I'm not ready to have it painted yet but I want to have an idea of the damages it will cost
Old 10/25/23, 08:15 PM

Make sure to get the metal thermostat housing. No more plastic cracking! Enjoying the posts so far. I am doing the same here if you are interested in checking out my build, I still need to update the thread as there is a lot that has happened.
Old 10/25/23, 08:26 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by VGMStudios
Make sure to get the metal thermostat housing. No more plastic cracking! Enjoying the posts so far. I am doing the same here if you are interested in checking out my build, I still need to update the thread as there is a lot that has happened.
I would love to , just post the link
Old 10/26/23, 10:07 AM

I would love to , just post the link
To the thermostat or my thread?

Here is the thermostat: https://www.ebay.com/itm/335070705019

Here is my thread:
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...ustang-549189/

Quick Reply: 2006 Mustang Father & Son Online Build Project Journal