1994-2004 V-6 3.8 and 3.9L V6 Mustangs

Mustang 2004 V6 backfire problem

Search this Thread

Old 9/6/15, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mustang 2004 V6 backfire problem

Hi guys, I have a 2004 (the anniversary model) V6 convertible. It suddenly started stalling and backfiring when I press the gas pedal too hard while it's on Neutral. When I'm driving, It stalls after I take my foot off the gas and then try to accelerate again. While I'm driving and I hit the gas, It reacts accordingly, but it breaks from time to time and smells like bad-burned fuel (if you've driven behind an old pickup truck, you know what I mean). I tried to get some trouble codes with OBDII, but it doesn't throw anything. I'm thinking about bad timing or leaking injectors , but I don't want to replace everything with no results.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!!!
Old 9/10/15, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O.K. guys, I saw that I have 56 or something views. I was waiting for an answer for a week! Are you afraid to give a suggestion or what? Because I am not like some guys that when they solve their problems, they just stop communicating, I'll tell you how I solved MY PROBLEM: First, I changed the plugs and the cables(no change), then, I cleaned the MAF with a MAF cleaner(no change), then, I cleaned the throttle body(it wasn't dirty anyway), AND FINALLY, I found that my coil is bad: as I said, OBDII didn't give me any trouble codes. What happened was that the coil was cracked and the spark was going everywhere else, but not to the plug.

I hope, everyone who has a problem and had found the solution, to share with all of us!
This is why we've signed in this forum!!! Correct me if I'm wrong!!!
Old 9/10/15, 06:45 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Glad you solved the problem and gave us the answer. I didn't have any ideas at the time I read your post.
Old 9/11/15, 12:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Hristofor
O.K. guys, I saw that I have 56 or something views. I was waiting for an answer for a week! Are you afraid to give a suggestion or what? Because I am not like some guys that when they solve their problems, they just stop communicating, I'll tell you how I solved MY PROBLEM: First, I changed the plugs and the cables(no change), then, I cleaned the MAF with a MAF cleaner(no change), then, I cleaned the throttle body(it wasn't dirty anyway), AND FINALLY, I found that my coil is bad: as I said, OBDII didn't give me any trouble codes. What happened was that the coil was cracked and the spark was going everywhere else, but not to the plug.

I hope, everyone who has a problem and had found the solution, to share with all of us!
This is why we've signed in this forum!!! Correct me if I'm wrong!!!
Just saw this post and was going to suggest a coil change to correct the problem, but you already posted, plus this section is generally slow and I usually stay in the main forum section for our SN-95 cars...if I had seen it sooner I would have jumped in to help