Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
5.0 twin turbo kit $1,100

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turbo...QQcmdZViewItem

Downside no oil feed or return lines, no instructions, and no tech support
Old 10/10/07, 12:54 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thats seems very sketchy... you can barely buy 2 60 trims for 1100 bucks, I can't see how they can include the mani's and intercooler and all the piping for that.
Old 10/10/07, 04:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All the parts in those no-name ebay kits are complete junk and will fail once installed on the car. If you're interested in an inexpensive turbo kit look up B&G Custom turbo or go to TurboMustangs and look up the DIY (Do It Yourself) section.
Old 10/10/07, 11:29 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
All the parts in those no-name ebay kits are complete junk and will fail once installed on the car. If you're interested in an inexpensive turbo kit look up B&G Custom turbo or go to TurboMustangs and look up the DIY (Do It Yourself) section
I figured they were when I get ready for a power adder I'll go to HP performance
Old 10/11/07, 08:34 AM
Service Manager

Received 452 Likes on 224 Posts
Originally Posted by bluethunderhorse
I figured they were when I get ready for a power adder I'll go to HP performance
DO NOT!!! I REPEAT...DO NOT go to HP for a turbo kit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We install a lot of turbo kits here in my shop and I have a '97 Cobra here now with an HP twin kit on it and we installed an HP single turbo kit on a '95 GT last year and if you don't heed my warning and buy from HP I will be sitting here telling you "I told you so" when you complain and cry about everything from missing parts to fitment issues to the worst instructions on the face of the planet!

Some highlights:
-Forget about having A/C....HP PROMISED my customer they were making custom lines for the A/C and would send them....after 3 years of waiting he finally gave up
-Forget about running an aftermarket radiator without having it modified...clearance issues with the turbo
-You might as well tell them to keep the instructions...all 6 pages of them, you'll be better off not trying to deal with their worthless instructions.
-The ONE single tab that is supposed to suport the intercooler is a complete joke and would break if you didn't come up with a better way to secure it
-Forget about running a swaybar.....I mean forget it...period!
-Welds were poor quality
-When we bolted the front housing on the turbo, the compressor wheel contacted it....thank God we didn't just bolt it on and start the car!!! And this was after it had been sent back to them for another issue and they claimed it to be "perfect"...we sent it to a turbo builder and had him machine the housing for proper clearance

....this is just the surface of problems....once we fixed all their problems and got it working it did make good power but I will NEVER install another one of their kits again!!!

Now on to the '97 Cobra....HP installed this kit while the customer was in Texas....
-the sides of the core support were beaten in with a small sledge and left to rust
-The intercooler was screwed into the foam bumper impact strip....yeah, that's a good secure mounting point
-The tie rod ends self clearanced the tubing for the kit leaving the pipe crushed in significantly with threaded rod imprints in the tubing.

Do yourself a favor and visit the Turbomustang website and get information DIRECTLY from people who have ACTUALLY owned or installed the kits you are looking at!! I can't stress this enough. I've heard great things about B&G Custom but have never installed one of their kits.

Now Hellion gets top honors so far in my book...we just installed a Single Turbo Hellion kit on an '01 GT and made 384RWHP at only 6psi!!! The kit shipped and arrived COMPLETE within a week and there were no real problems to speak of during the installation....Those guys have their act together!!!

We are waiting on parts right now to complete a kit from Turbohorsepower.com to put a single turbo kit on an '05 GT...the only complaint I've had so far is the time delay in the customer getting his parts and hopefully everything will arrive to complete the kit tomorrow.

Remember...You get what you pay for....go cheap and you can expect problems and I can promise you that you will regret going cheap and I can also promise you that I will not hesitate to say "I told you so" when you have been warned previously about companies like HP. This is coming from someone with 1st hand info who installed their kit and has serviced cars with their kit on them.