1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

kyles never ending '68 project

Search this Thread

Old 3/2/10, 05:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...ient=mv-google

forgot I put this on YouTube but I think you'll like it I remember my motor was still very tight when we did this and got very hot near the end, this was the 9" in stock form as well (1 wheel peel galore)
Old 3/2/10, 06:14 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Video didn't come up for me......

Originally Posted by kjacobson351
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...ient=mv-google

forgot I put this on YouTube but I think you'll like it I remember my motor was still very tight when we did this and got very hot near the end, this was the 9" in stock form as well (1 wheel peel galore)
Old 3/2/10, 06:17 PM
Bullitt Member

That's strange it works for me!? You can YouTube 1968 mustang movie and it's the first bid that comes up I think, I have the same user name on there. Did my other YouTube link work?
Old 3/6/10, 05:42 PM
Bullitt Member

So a while ago I realized unless I wanted to spend as much on power steering fluid I needed to do something about my current setup. I removed the pump and sealed the hoses. Since then my steering has becom a little bit sloppy. Is there anything I can do to tighten this up? Where can I find a manual system?
Old 3/6/10, 07:55 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
this help? http://www.flamingriver.com/index.cf...256/prd256.htm
Old 3/6/10, 08:00 PM

Hmm, usually people go from manual to power steering, not the other way around. I don't know what to tell you, except that perhaps your steering box needs to be replaced?

I know I screwed up my power steering on my 65 by putting power steering fluid in it! You're supposed to use ATF!

So a while ago I realized unless I wanted to spend as much on power steering fluid I needed to do something about my current setup. I removed the pump and sealed the hoses. Since then my steering has becom a little bit sloppy. Is there anything I can do to tighten this up? Where can I find a manual system?
Old 3/6/10, 08:16 PM
Post *****

manual steering saves weight! and its excercise
Old 3/6/10, 08:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by future9er24
thanks anyways arin

Hmm for that price I don't know if it helps or not but maybe I'm just a cheapskate is there a difference between a power box and a manual one? What is it? Are there any cars that would share a manual steering parts with a first gen stang?

Haha falchion your right most do go from man. To power and at a time I thought that that would be what I wanted, I named this "17 year olds restomod update" but the more I put into this car the less of a restomod it is (restomod being an old car made to be made more modern on the same chassis and more comfortable) well forget about creature comforts I just want this car to be quicker and better looking than it was in San Jose in 1968 can I get a mod to change the name of this thread to I dunno maybe "kyles never ending '68 project"
Old 3/6/10, 09:07 PM
Post *****

I assume falcons would have the same pieces..

the biggest difference with manual vs power, aside from the power aspect, is the wheel turning ratio. a manual box/rack will turn to full lock in more turns because you don't have the power assist. they make you turn the wheel more to make up for your arms lack of torque

im running a power rack in the II, but the power steering pump is... lets say tempermental at best. it works when it wants to. i really want to seal it off and just remove the pump entirely. you get the quicker turn of the power, without the weight and horsepower theft of the power. check ebay and craigslist for used manual racks though if thats what you want to do. I've always wanted some flaming river stuff but god its expensive

renamed it for ya too lol. not exactly a 17 year olds project anymore
Old 3/6/10, 09:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Arin! Yeah I figured I could rename it 21 year olds '68 update but I'll probably be here 4 years from now again scratching my head at the name of the thread again, I've considered putting a II front end under it but then putting those swap meet discs on it would seem like a waste, problem is all those handling parts I put on this car might as well not be on with the slop in the steering.

Btw I only put power steering fluid in the system once then I just atf'd it from there.
Old 3/6/10, 09:41 PM
Post *****

from what ive heard from Paul, the II front end isnt the best route on a non II. alot of guys use it to fit modern motors in there, sicne the 4.6 is a gargantuan thing, but he seems to think its not worth it and Paul also knows what hes talking about lol

i never noticed any slack in my steering when the power went out, could it be possible that your box itself is just bad? or was it always sloppy?
Old 3/6/10, 10:04 PM
Bullitt Member

It was allways sort of sloppy but but when it was full of fluid (only immediately after I filled it lol) it wasn't as bad. I've got afriend with a '70 maverick that he put a Windsor into and put a II front end under it, and cut the schock towers out (there's so much room in there it looks like the freakin grand canyon!) but it drives way better than mine, way tighter! Mine could be worn out though it's no spring chicken what is it 42 years old?!
Old 3/6/10, 10:11 PM
Post *****

hows the suspension? if not already that could use a rework too. if you haven't id suggest doing it all at once. my friend did that on his 66 and said it was night and day for how it drove.
Old 3/6/10, 10:22 PM
Bullitt Member

The suspension is perfect! Originally it had in I6 and the the super light duty 4 bolt suspension so I ordered a gt suspension with the poly bushings non tubular control arms or anything but i drives better than I imagine it would new! I also but kyb gas adjust shocks all around, and 1" drop 600 pound springs in the front, along with a 3/4" sway bar and a 1" sway bar in the back, I've maybe put 6000 miles on the entire setup
Old 3/6/10, 10:26 PM
Post *****

thats slick lol. ive also got the gas adjusts and i havent put any miles on mine yet. good to know they're worthwhile

id say drain the thing of fluid, refill it and try resealing and see if that fixes it. could be as simple as that, and thats the free-est solution. if not pull the box and see if you can find anything wrong with it. maybe replacing it with an acutal manual box would be a good idea at that point?
Old 3/6/10, 10:38 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm just wondering if I can go to good old napa and get a manual box for less than the $500 that flaming river has to offer?

Hmm about just bolting the pump back on and filling it up...it's not going to happen I didn't want the power steering anymore so I took the pump off but I wanted to make sure no dirt got in the lines and I couldn't do that with the fittings on so I cut the line ran I fat bolt down it and sealed the end if I want to experiment with power steering again I'm going to have to make some new fittings.
Old 3/6/10, 10:58 PM
Post *****

i meant more of top off the box you have now in case, for whatever reason, you didnt fill it or seal it properly the first time. screw the pump, power steering isnt that important

BUT if that doesnt work, im sure napa will have a stock replacement manual box for a LOOOTTTTT less than flaming river lol
Old 3/7/10, 09:15 AM

Here's a steering box for $450. You could also get the power steering pump overhauled, or replaced.

http://www.dallasmustang.com/mustang...HAFT-NEW/13393

Here's a "rebuild service" power steering pump for $119. Is this any good?

http://www.dallasmustang.com/mustang...d-Service/7517

Originally Posted by future9er24
i meant more of top off the box you have now in case, for whatever reason, you didnt fill it or seal it properly the first time. screw the pump, power steering isnt that important

BUT if that doesnt work, im sure napa will have a stock replacement manual box for a LOOOTTTTT less than flaming river lol
Old 3/7/10, 09:46 AM
Bullitt Member

$450 is a little better than flaming river, I'll be frugal and DJ some serious price checking lol
I'm not looking for a pump though I want manual from here on out. Thanks for searching though that's what makes this place better than any other forum ive been on, people actually care enough here to try and help you with your problems.
Old 3/7/10, 12:53 PM

OK, let us know how it turns out!

$450 is a little better than flaming river, I'll be frugal and DJ some serious price checking lol
I'm not looking for a pump though I want manual from here on out. Thanks for searching though that's what makes this place better than any other forum ive been on, people actually care enough here to try and help you with your problems.

Quick Reply: kyles never ending '68 project