1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

kyles never ending '68 project

Search this Thread

Old 5/16/07, 01:49 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
yeah dude...your car must be really fast...I couldn't do it...thats for sure. Just be safe out there...100mph is really scary in my car...vibrations, steering starts to get really funny....just be carefull. The wind will have a hayday with that car too.
Old 6/1/07, 09:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kjacobson351
scratch the bad gas idea, my points of my distributor were out of wack, but the two containers of ISO HEET (alcohol) didn't hurt anything. also my coil wire wasn't as tight as it could have been. the wheels were put on and they look great, I had about 10 pics of the car but I accidently deleted all of them but I also made a little movie with my dads camera on mistake so I just captured a picture from that, sorry its low def.
You say you had a distributor points problem, right? There's a very good solution for that issue that will make such problems go away. Get and install a Pertronix Ignitor unit and matching coil (about $100 total.) This replacement device will replace the points and capacitor assembly with an electronic gizmo that insures that you'll never have to go inside the distributor again. I've used them for 15 years on my 65 coupe and 69 fastback, and will be installing them on my 67 coupe when the body work is complete. Here's a link to the Pertronix site and you can buy these parts from any Mustang supplier (CJ Pony, Mustangs Unlimited, National Parts Depot, etc.)

http://www.pertronix.com/ Click on Products, then Ignitor Ignition

The install of this device is easy and shouldn't take more than 1/2 hour! And it still looks stock because it's hidden inside the distributor cap.
Old 6/15/07, 08:15 PM
Bullitt Member

I finnaly did it! im tossing out my old crappy points distributor and bought a billet MSD electronic distributor with a MSD 6AL box! I also bought a 625 road demon carb.
what hp increase does the new dist. and box add do you think? total setup? i honestly do not know how much power i am pushing anybody willing to guess?

351 windsor, ported and polished heads, roller rockers, hmv 272 crane cam, aluminum intake manifold, 9.5 to 1 pistons, shorty hedders, plus the stuff I just bought.
Old 6/15/07, 08:46 PM

Cool stuff dude!!! Still waiting to hear about that paint job!

sounds like you may have a cool 225-250RWHP?? 350tq?

.....a guess
Old 10/10/07, 05:43 PM

bump...Anything new kid?
Old 10/14/07, 03:15 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kjacobson351
3. Instead of a motor to pump my windshield washer fluid on my windows there is a little foot pump. and when the power is hooked up and you push it down, it turns my windshield wipers on!
My mustang has that on it.
Old 3/24/08, 07:48 PM
Bullitt Member

wow I havent been here in a long time! but its nice to be back things have been SO busy! ok first mustang stuff

ok im loving the MSD at first i had problems with it i wired it wrong i hooked the ground to the ground side of my solenoid instead of an actual ground (yeah yeah i know retarded eh) but eventually i figured it out (after I ordered a new distributor cause i thought the one that i bought was defective so now I got 2 one in the mustang and one boxed up cause they wouldnt return it, oh well ill just save it for a future project or something i know it will happen eventually) but holy crap! i had know idea how much extra spark i would get, you know the usual spark noise you hear if you pull your one of your wires off and you set it next to something so you can see if its sparking? you know it just sounds like tick tick tick and its an orange like spark? well with the 6al box and distributor its purple and the noise sounds more like the needle on the wheel of fortune makes more like a boop boop boop its so loud that you can hear it over the exhaust when the motor is running from inside the car with the door shut which i dunno its gotta be pretty loud and pretty potent to do that maybe its just me.

the new carb is great too except the choke sticks when you start it which means after you start it youve got to go pop the hood and put it where you want it (which means competely off cause the motor runs so great any way it runs awesome in cold and hot weathor alike) and i guess it would be easy to fix because since i dont have any theft protection of any kind of it really besides the locks it makes me feel better knowing that all those quirks are there that really i know about and would make it dificult for somebody to steal or dick around with you know?

power wise from the new setup? not really anything nothing i can feel the throttle response is quicker but thats about it, what i love about it is that it runs smoother and is more reliable now i dont know if it was worth the money but hey ive got it now so im going to enjoy it

otherwise on the mustang ive got all of my interior parts ordered and at my house ive got new carpet installed and the front seats are finished i also ordered the brushed aluminum dash and white face gauge overlays they look great but im having a hard time with getting a finished fit (im more of a wrench in hand type of guy not the tedious finish work kind) so i think im eventually (EVENTUALLY) pay a body shop to put it in

so i dont know if any of you remember me talking about my long distance girlfriend earliar on? well she lives about 370 miles away from my house and ive been visiting her alot since the time ive stopped regularly posting but the mustang really proved itself reliabillity wize because it made the whole trip without even one hiccup. so yeah im pretty proud that something i built did that. the only crappy thing was it took me 36 gallons of gas 1 way!!! so i wont be driving that to see her very often but yeah she pretty much digs it!

as for me since ive been gone?
well im actually 19 now i dont know how to change the title of this thread but whatevah im not on here enough for it to actually matter.

I graduated from my high school! woot!
Ive got a great job building timber frame houses! woot!
I moved out of my parents place and bought a place of my own and its all payed off! woot!
i bought a 1971 VW squareback! woot! (perhaps pictures later you gotta see it!)
I bought a 1990 Toyota camry. unwoot!
I bought my girlfriend an engagement ring! WOOT!!! it wont be hers untill june but WEE im really excited!

yeah so with all of this stuff going down its hard for me to be on here but it was great to pop in and tell all my mustang freinds how everything is going. before i could get on and say how everything was on a regular basis cause i would do it during school but i dont have internet at my house and really i can afford it with all the wedding and marriage stuff that ive got to be saving up for.

i know the mustang is going to take a major backseat financial wise to my fiance and future wife its kinda sad but doesnt bother me at all she allready said that im never ever ever allowed to sell the mustang so i guess progress will slow down significantly but i promise it will allways be making progress!
Old 3/24/08, 10:01 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Good to hear from you again!

You seem to have been pretty **** busy while you were away though lol. you've got a pretty good setup.

on the ring and post pictures of the cars!!!

welcome back
Old 3/24/08, 10:47 PM
Bullitt Member

So here is the infamous VeeDub its name is paul bought him for 500 bucks and im getting my moneys worth its no mustang but it gets a hella alot of attention! actually probably more than the mustang ive got no intentions of restoring it or anything its just my fun beater car

some my squirm at the sight of the car toppless but to each his own right?
Attached Thumbnails kyles never ending '68 project-0223081418.jpg   kyles never ending '68 project-so-we-all-make-mistakes.jpg  
Old 3/24/08, 10:51 PM
Bullitt Member

ill get some pics of the mustang stuff later im actually in twin falls ID right now (where karlie my girlfriend lives) so i cant get any new mustang pictures posted that was just pics that were on my phone of the volkswagen what do you think? lol
Old 3/25/08, 02:33 AM
Post *****

that Vdub looks pretty sick to me lol. Great car for a beater
Old 3/25/08, 07:32 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mustang pics, mustang pics, we want mustang pics!
Old 3/26/08, 04:01 PM

good luck waiting till june for the engagement....When I bought my wife's ring...It burned a whole in my pocket for about two weeks...I couldn't keep it a secret anymore and could not wait to ask...it was a very excting time in my life.
Old 3/26/08, 04:39 PM
Bullitt Member

I just finished reading all six pages of this thread so far. Great read and a job well done on the build project. Very inspiring. Good luck in the future and post some pictures already!
Old 3/26/08, 09:45 PM

Wow to the Vdub. That is sick. I wish I could do that to a car. Say sigh-uh-nar-uh to structural integrity.
Old 2/25/10, 02:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Here I am again almost a full year between posts lol I feel like the prodigal son I've wandered aimlessly through crappy Internet forums and still haven't found a community better than this! That being said I plan to be more regular now since I have an iPhone now which it turns out I can't upload pictures directly from it, if anybody knows how please let me know! but i made a cardomain with some newer pics that I can hyperlink, and also two YouTube videos. So since I've been here I've broken my 9"! I was getting some new tires so just outside of Les schwab's (tire center) I did these two huge burnouts and after I shift into second gear (on the second burnout) I hear this really loud pop! And it felt like somebody kicked my quarter panel as hard as they could. So I shut her down and get out and check everything out and everything looked normal so I start it up and pull forward and everything seems fine I go to make a turn into les schwab and every couple feet as I'm turning I get that same loud pop and kick feeling, I still get my tires changed and the employees really got a kick out me climbing out of the car and having the smoke roll out of the cabin and fenderwells inside of the shop . I drive home popping and banging along all the corners along the way, and not even 100 yards from my house my shift linkage snaps in two! Thankfully i've only got a c4. I drain my 9" and it was the prettiest sparkliest gear oil I'd ever seen with some chunks too I might add! Strangely though I had felt some satisfaction of breaking a 9" and thinking at least I'd filmed it! Hours later dissassembling the 3rd member i could see through the inspection hole I had turned my spider gears into spider chunks and my third member into a rattle, I had to smash the case on the sidewalk 4 times just to get it to seperate to claim my momentos. I ended up getting an eaton truetrak and my 3.70's were unharmed so they are still in my setup, but I've got my eye out for some 3.89's (I'm loving it by the way)

I also have my interior 90% complete I just need a headliner and a windshield and I do not recall if I had said earliar that I'd bought a 67 Shelby brushed aluminum dash panels but that along with the white face gauge overlays look very nice!

I had bought a 67 Shelby style composite hood for my car and because of that I just rattle canned primer'd the car black and I liked how it turned out. I'll try to get this urls or hyperlink if I can. Good to be back guys!
Old 2/25/10, 02:08 PM
Bullitt Member

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...ient=mv-google
sorry I couldn't get the hyperlink feature to work on my phone I'll find the URL for cardomain now
Old 2/25/10, 02:23 PM
Bullitt Member

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3388821
there's only two newer pics In this I guess

I also picked up a 1977 f150 4x4 shortbox for my work truck as I'm a business owner now and a sweet 1964 ford falcon Econoline club wagon deluxe for $400 that I found while buying some mustang bumpers off craigslist
Old 2/25/10, 06:53 PM
Bullitt Member

When you are gone for so long it's hard to keep track of all that you've been doing! I also found a set of disc brakes spindle and all at a swap meet for $200 I really can't tell a difference with them but it's not like I've been tearing up any road courses, I weighed my old drums and I saved a couple pounds, they look nice though.
Old 2/26/10, 12:30 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome back! Got any pictures of that rear end?

Quick Reply: kyles never ending '68 project