Search this Thread

Old 1/12/07, 03:28 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Good luck!
Old 1/15/07, 08:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I pulled the transmission this weekend, and we are going to have our transmission guy come look at it, since I don't know anything about transmissions. we had to completely un-hook my exaust to get it out! I am not going to have any pictures for a while because who wants to see my car on blocks?
I feel like we are taking two steps back with this car, I love this car but its starting to get me down.
Old 1/15/07, 10:59 AM
Post *****

Its hard to see alot of hard work be delayed by a problem like that. Hang in there pal, you'll be cruisin before you know it
Old 1/15/07, 11:35 AM
Bullitt Member

I guess I found a picture without in on blocks with most of the mods done to it, you can see the rake is pretty decent. I have yet to see the car on a slab without a slope on it, so if it was on flat ground it would have 2'' more rake
Attached Thumbnails kyles never ending '68 project-kyle-mustang-edit.jpg  
Old 1/15/07, 12:51 PM
Post *****

I am so jealous of that engine compartment. lol
Old 1/23/07, 09:16 AM
Bullitt Member

We fixed it!, we did some measurements and found that my converter was all good. so what the only other thing that could be ramming my front back, would be my flexplate, so we did some more measurements to find that the "junkyard" flexplate was about 1/4'' too thick. so we put a massive magnet on the bottom (outside) of my pan, and put the trans and relating items back in, started it up, and no noise! (aside from my nearly over the top exhaust) so now all I need are some tires (not slicks) some front parking lights, and an insurance company to insure me.

Road Trip this Summer!
Old 1/23/07, 06:59 PM
Post *****

Old 1/25/07, 08:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Yeserday I swapped the rubber from the orginal 4 lug wheels to my "new" 5 - lug setup, and I bought some used tires in really good shape for $35 a piece for the rear, it was really sad to see them take my slicks off, the tires are still a little taller than the fron tires so hopefully I still have some sort of rake, or at least level.(I hate how stock 1st gen mustangs sit.)

it looks like all I need is an alignment before the 1st test drive!
Old 1/25/07, 09:24 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good luck
Old 1/25/07, 11:48 AM
Post *****

Old 1/30/07, 08:58 AM
V6 Member

My 68 Project

I have a 68 mustang that I bought in California.

I have installed a new dash pad, instrument cluster, glove box faceplate, air conditioner controls, new lights (headlights, dash lights, tail lights, hood turn signals, headlights, etc.)

Just finished installing new front drum brakes, new master cylinder (I need a new brake distribution block aka; pressure differential valve if anyone has one available). I replaced the carb gaskets and I am currently replacing the headliner, A-Pillars, windlace, etc.

The engine is in great shape, just dirty. It has been a lot of fun learning how Ford put this classic car together.

Here is what my Hi-Po 289 sounds like.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...95687823487889
Attached Thumbnails kyles never ending '68 project-pa200019a.jpg   kyles never ending '68 project-pa200022a.jpg   kyles never ending '68 project-pa200026a.jpg  
Old 2/6/07, 11:00 AM
Bullitt Member

I took the 1st official test drive! I had allready driven it once on the 29th but there was about 4'' on new snow on the ground so it wasn't really that great, especially with no charging system because my lights were so dim.

But last night it was 60 degrees, the roads were dry and I was not expecting the car to be that Quick!

First we broke the rings in by starting from a stop then accelerating from 2nd gear, and even starting from second (not mashing the throttle) the car pulled harder than any other vehicle I have been in. after I did that for about 12 times I drove around a bit, and went through all the gears untill my fan turned on. then I put it in 1st gear and mashed it, with no hesitation or any power breaking both tires lit up and I left about a 20ft strip down the road.

then just to see how it would do through all gears I put it in first gave it just enough throttle so that I wouldn't lose all traction in the back, like a rocket I shifted into 2nd, the tires barked ( it wasn't really a bark more of a 1/2 second peel out) it still pulling like crazy, just as much as it did in 1st, then finaly into 3rd the tires barked and it was still pulling like a maniac when I let off because I was going way to fast on a public road.

Then I was just stopped in the middle of the road, with the exhaust tone just drowning out everything else, and the car just rumbled and shook. I had a grin that I could not get off of my face. tonight is pay day so i am going to get it insured tonight. really the only things that I have left to do to make it mostly street legal/streetable is get a new voltage regulator, glue my rear-view mirror back on, get new headlight buckets/ valance so i can install my front turn signals. after that it will be all body and interior work.

speaking of which i have got very good news concerning that. My dad and I came to an agreement that I could use $2,000 of my social security money that my mom left me since I got about that much extra, because they changed the law so that the money stops once you get out of highschool not when you turn 18. so now I have got 2,000 dollars to spend on body parts, and my dad tipped me off that the mustang will probably be painted as my graduation present! Things are looking good!
Old 2/6/07, 12:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Looking and sounding good! Keep up the good work.
Old 2/6/07, 03:56 PM
Post *****

Must be pretty awesome to finally have your baby up n runnin
Old 2/9/07, 08:34 PM

Bad *** Motor!!!.... Your car is looking good Kyle congrats
Old 2/12/07, 10:20 AM
Bullitt Member

I drove it to school on friday! you can definately tell people who appreiciate the work you put into your car and the people who have no Idea. the comments I am the most tired of are
1. You dont have a grill. (duh)
2. That fender is dented. (duh)

it was completely awsesome the car handles exceptionaly well , I can deffininately see myself driving this car every day. other than the fact that I averaged 5 miles per gallon, is disconserting but my dad and I rebuilt my carb this weekend, which takes care of that annoying leak and the really rich mixture its been getting (explains bad mpg).
Old 2/12/07, 03:23 PM
Post *****

I know whatcha mean man, don't let it get to you. Lesser minds always criticise the lesser and unimportant cosmetic flaws of your car, while true gearheads will appreciate the work of art you've created
Old 2/16/07, 10:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Well I have still got a few bugs to work out of the car, the other day I was pulling into the schools parking lot (thankfully I was late and used the back lot) but as soon as I put it in park a ton of white smoke started bubbling out of my hood. a about crapped myself I killed the engine, and got out to look at it and my, power steering hose got to hot and split and squirted fluid on my headers (thus the white smoke) I just drained the fluid, and drove home with no power steering and an empty pump.
Back to the drawing board!
Old 2/16/07, 10:43 AM
Post *****

OH NO! Not the power steering!

Whateeevvveerrr you do don't make my mistake of just driving it manual for a while.
Old 2/16/07, 02:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

the exhaust is kinda dorky(sticking out too long), and those wheels are ugly otherwiser it's a great car.

Quick Reply: kyles never ending '68 project