1964-1970 Mustang Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

kyles never ending '68 project

Search this Thread

Old 11/6/06, 09:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well $367 from behind the headers, I paid about $150 for the headers. My dad kept telling me not to get them because they are a pain in the butt. because you have to tighten them all of the time. but I like working under the hood of my car, even if it is just to tighten a bolt.

In other news I got the car back from the shop. and the pipis look killer, the angle of the stainless tips match the angle of my rear valance. and even though it is a really subtle change to see pipes back there, it is a REALLY good subtle change.

My girlfriend of a little of a year saw the mustang for the first time last night (long distance) but even though it isn't running at the moment lets just say the she REALLY REALLY liked it, i'll leave it at that.
Old 11/7/06, 07:44 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh and a snapshot of the car might be nice too

lol. Still, your exhaust is far less expensive than mine so far I wish there was a larger aftermarket for my car. Oh well, such is life Keep up the good work on this baby. Keep them ricers at bay!!!!
Old 11/8/06, 08:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Are you happy now?

This is the picture the former owner sent to me so this is before I had done any work. like I said i'm trying to get more pictures but, my dad thinks that if he lets me use his digital camera it will self destruct or something.

but untill then just picture the front end dropped 1 inch the back end raised one inch. put some 5 lug wheels on, and put on some big slicks in the back.

or better yet I'll just try harder to get some newer pictures
Attached Thumbnails kyles never ending '68 project-68-mustang-drivers-side-before.jpg  
Old 11/8/06, 08:57 AM
V6 Member

I see you've got the turn signal indicator hood too.

Did you get an upper or lower console as well?
Old 11/8/06, 08:59 AM
Post *****

Looks good to me! Can't wait to see it after the upgrades!!
Old 11/8/06, 09:02 AM
Bullitt Member

no I dont have any console in the car, but I kind of like it that way it gives it more of a race car feel, its just bucket seat-tunnel-bucket seat.

I don't think that the turn indicator hood would do much for performance but is a straight through scoop so, it may help in letting hot air out. anybody know?
Old 11/8/06, 09:51 AM
V6 Member

The center console is nice because it holds the seat belts and has storage under the dash. The upper console has the maplights. The turn signal hood is strictly for looks and some functionality (don't have to look down to see if your blinkers are on), no performance benefit.
Old 1/5/07, 09:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Hopefully we will be starting the beast tomorrow, since my last post We shortened my linkage, installed my power steering (paine in the butt) and tomorrow I just need to put on my trans cooling lines. when I put my coolant in I developed a leak on the back drivers side of my intake manifold, hopefully I just need to retorque the bolts.

And I finnaly will have some pictures because I am making a movie for school about the progress on the mustang. bassically all of the pictures that I have, set to freebird. but I need more pictures so my dad will actually let me use his camera if it is for school so probably next week.
Old 1/5/07, 03:15 PM
Post *****

Man... Any chance we can get video/audio of her starting up

'tis a great feeling
Old 1/8/07, 10:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Started it for 5 seconds last night, we didn't have the feul lines hooked up or anything, we just wanted to see if it would pop off.

Before we started it though we ran into some serious problems, I put my coolant in the radiator and I developed a leak on the back side of my intake manifold, since it was aluminium we thought that maybe we just had to re torque the bolts so we did and there was still a leak, so we had to take the manifold off and it was leaking because electrolisis had eaten away my water jackets, so we took some JB weld and cleaned up the surface and it sealed like new.

We also got my transmission cooler lines all hooked up and set up my trans linkage hooked up.

And I finnaly got it licensed and registered and I could not believe that the license plate BOSS 351 was not taken, so I got that and I should have my plates in a month. This should be the best spring ever!
Old 1/8/07, 12:23 PM
Post *****

Sorry to hear about the coolant issue, but otherwise AWESOME

Nice plates too

oh and
Old 1/8/07, 04:17 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by kjacobson351
Well $367 from behind the headers, I paid about $150 for the headers. My dad kept telling me not to get them because they are a pain in the butt. because you have to tighten them all of the time. but I like working under the hood of my car, even if it is just to tighten the bolts

There are a few options to deal with the header bolt issue, locking header bolts, saftey wiring the header bolts, using split header bolts, or even seeing if you have nord lock washers available http://www.nord-lock.com/default.asp?url=2.16.37 , just pair them with a good set of gaskets and whatever you don't over-tighten the bolts or studs or what-have-you.
Old 1/10/07, 11:40 AM
Bullitt Member

We started the mustang for the first time last night, it ran strong but there was loud whining noise coming from my bellhousing, We didn't have time to really check it out but we are going to look into it tonight. It sounded amazing. when you are inside the car it feels and sounds like there are subwoofers all around you. I have it on video and I'll try to get a sound clip. any idea what the noise could be?
Old 1/10/07, 02:45 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
sounds like its going to be an awesome car.
Old 1/10/07, 04:06 PM
Post *****

No idea what that noise is, but my II has alot of vibrations and shakes and odd noises also. Are you sure your driveshaft is properly installed/balanced? same with the flywheel...
Old 1/11/07, 08:51 AM
Bullitt Member

I know that my driveshaft is about 1'' to long but I really do not think that that where the noise is coming from. I had a friend of mine who is a transmission expert come check it out and he said that it sounds like the front pump. he said to pull the pan and check for shavings and what not and if there aren't any than I'll just have to live with the noise. so I pulled the pan and there were some shavings, (very very very small shavings) i'm going to have him over again tonight to check it out.

dear god, I hope I don't have to pull the trans!
Old 1/11/07, 11:28 AM
Bullitt Member

How do I post Audio clips?
Old 1/11/07, 06:41 PM
Post *****

Not entirely sure if you can just "attach" it like a normal pic. You might have to host it with another webhost and link it
Old 1/11/07, 07:31 PM
My C/T is cooler than Arin is.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sounds like an awesome project so far.
Old 1/12/07, 10:37 AM
Bullitt Member

It looks like I'm going to have to pull the transmission, hopefully it is a simple fix, not requireing me to rebuild the ****ed thing.

Quick Reply: kyles never ending '68 project