Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Revised TSB for Lower Control Arm squeak

Search this Thread

Old 10/2/13, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Dealer Tomball Ford has been nothing but Awesome they are doing the best to get mine fixed. we originally bought a 2012 GT that had the problem then decided lets try a 2013 and its in for the 4th time even after the heat shields were installed hopefully this will be the final time. They are contacting Ford to see what the next step is. They replaced the LCAs and installed the heat shield, discovered yesterday that the LCAs have still gone bad and the fix did not work.

Last edited by BigEvil2005; 10/2/13 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10/3/13, 02:48 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by BigEvil2005
My Dealer Tomball Ford has been nothing but Awesome they are doing the best to get mine fixed. we originally bought a 2012 GT that had the problem then decided lets try a 2013 and its in for the 4th time even after the heat shields were installed hopefully this will be the final time. They are contacting Ford to see what the next step is. They replaced the LCAs and installed the heat shield, discovered yesterday that the LCAs have still gone bad and the fix did not work.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Strange how the fix will work on some, but not others. Glad you have a dealer that is trying their best to get your car fixed. I'm am being hopefully optimistic about mine. Good luck.
Old 10/4/13, 09:13 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by BigEvil2005
Hi BigEvil2005,

Let me get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area as well. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Old 10/8/13, 10:30 PM
GT Member

I just started noticing this on my 2012 a few weeks ago. In the morning, when pulling out of my driveway I get a creak as I go from the drive to the street. Sometimes on slow take-off, get a pop. Pulling into the drive, I get a creaking.

I also notice some tramlining (wandering) and pulling to the left when I brake. The pulling to the left is only occasional, and it may be tramlining related too. But the car seems a bit squirrely when driving down the road. Tire pressures are right where they should be. It's also a little inconsistent on staying on the same track on a straight road. Maybe it's me, but I don't recall my other cars acting this way.

I'm wondering if this could be the same LCA issue or if there's more involved. Do most dealers handle this TSB fix while you wait or do you have to leave your car with them? I'd prefer to wait if that's possible.
Old 10/9/13, 05:47 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just started noticing the squeak while going over speed bumps when car is mostly cold.... I'll get it in and see what they say.
Old 10/9/13, 05:08 PM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Michael Broadway
I just started noticing this on my 2012 a few weeks ago. In the morning, when pulling out of my driveway I get a creak as I go from the drive to the street. Sometimes on slow take-off, get a pop. Pulling into the drive, I get a creaking.

I also notice some tramlining (wandering) and pulling to the left when I brake. The pulling to the left is only occasional, and it may be tramlining related too. But the car seems a bit squirrely when driving down the road. Tire pressures are right where they should be. It's also a little inconsistent on staying on the same track on a straight road. Maybe it's me, but I don't recall my other cars acting this way.

I'm wondering if this could be the same LCA issue or if there's more involved. Do most dealers handle this TSB fix while you wait or do you have to leave your car with them? I'd prefer to wait if that's possible.
I also noticed the wandering in my 40,00km 2012 Pony Premium Convertible, it followed grooves in the road and would jump a bit on larger bumps, right around the time I noticed the front suspension noises going over speed bumps. Had the local dealer, Coastal Ford in Vancouver, replace the LCAs yesterday. So far so good.
I also had this issue on a 2004 Mustang convertible with 140,000km on the clock. I can better understand the issue on an 8 year old car with that many kilometers but on a two year old with so little milage? Very disappointed with Ford.
The 2012 also had a rattle in the back and the tab fell off the rearwindow defog just from putting the top up&down. All fixed by the dealer under warranty thankfully but my faith in Ford quality is at an all time low.
Old 10/9/13, 06:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I've been reading about this LCA noise problem affecting a lot of cars on this and other forums. It would really bug me if my really cool car started making these or any other obnoxious noises...besides those that come out of the pipes. The idea of having to wait until the LCA bushings fail, then arranging to replace them (even under warranty), was freaking me out!

So, I reviewed the latest LCA rev. D from Ford and saw they re-engineered the bushing housings adding heat shields to protect the bushings from the tremendous heat given off by the cats. Okay. I took a front wheel off and crawled under the car to check things out. Then I made a pattern for heat shields out of some cardboard that could fit to the existing bushing mounting bolts. The local hardware store had some sheet aluminum and 14mm nuts and washers I could use the fabricate and attach my custom heat shields. A little bit of clipping with a tin snip, drill a couple holes, bend to fit with my finger break (literally my fingers) and a spray with bar-b-que paint -- tada! My shields appear to give more complete coverage than those from Ford I saw in posted pics. Hope I was able to prevent this problem and the associated hassles. Too bad I needed to fix this.

I also had a problem with the exhaust and had to fix that too by changing the axle-back exhaust system. Seems it was way too quiet!

And, there was the problem with the suspension floating around. Had to get adjustable shocks to dial that in properly. Ford?

And, it's sucking a bunch of oil through the PCV valve so I needed to modify that system with a separator or risk gunking up the intake and valve train.

If that's not enough, now I have to get a supercharger because Ford didn't put enough horsepower in the GT engine. It just goes on and on! Man, those Ford guys are killing me!

And...I really do love this car!!!
Old 10/10/13, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Broadway
I just started noticing this on my 2012 a few weeks ago. In the morning, when pulling out of my driveway I get a creak as I go from the drive to the street. Sometimes on slow take-off, get a pop. Pulling into the drive, I get a creaking....
Hi Michael Broadway,

Don’t forget to speak with your Service Manager, and have it checked at your Ford Dealer. He/she is in the best position to let you know if there is work needed, and about coverage you may have for it (warranty, recall, etc.). Let me know the outcome.

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
Just started noticing the squeak while going over speed bumps when car is mostly cold.... I'll get it in and see what they say.
Let me get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area, MyStang2010GB. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Old 10/10/13, 04:06 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FordService
Hi Michael Broadway,

Don’t forget to speak with your Service Manager, and have it checked at your Ford Dealer. He/she is in the best position to let you know if there is work needed, and about coverage you may have for it (warranty, recall, etc.). Let me know the outcome.

Let me get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area, MyStang2010GB. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
I'm taking the car in tomorrow morning. I don't anticipate any issues as my dealer is extremely easy to work with. I'll still send ya the info though tomorrow.
Old 10/11/13, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
I'm taking the car in tomorrow morning. I don't anticipate any issues as my dealer is extremely easy to work with. I'll still send ya the info though tomorrow.
That's good to know, MyStang2010GB! I'll keep an eye out for it.

Deysha
Old 10/14/13, 03:37 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I've been noticing a front end noise while going up the bumpy dirt driveway at home, but that was the only place. Then today going over some speed bumps it gave a good creak as I went over each one. Time to bring it in!!
Old 10/14/13, 03:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put mine into the dealer this morning for the D series arms. Has anyone used exhaust tape to help isolate the heat generated from the headers and cats? Would it help???
Old 10/15/13, 07:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by El Coyote GT/CS
I've been reading about this LCA noise problem affecting a lot of cars on this and other forums. It would really bug me if my really cool car started making these or any other obnoxious noises...besides those that come out of the pipes. The idea of having to wait until the LCA bushings fail, then arranging to replace them (even under warranty), was freaking me out!

So, I reviewed the latest LCA rev. D from Ford and saw they re-engineered the bushing housings adding heat shields to protect the bushings from the tremendous heat given off by the cats. Okay. I took a front wheel off and crawled under the car to check things out. Then I made a pattern for heat shields out of some cardboard that could fit to the existing bushing mounting bolts. The local hardware store had some sheet aluminum and 14mm nuts and washers I could use the fabricate and attach my custom heat shields. A little bit of clipping with a tin snip, drill a couple holes, bend to fit with my finger break (literally my fingers) and a spray with bar-b-que paint -- tada! My shields appear to give more complete coverage than those from Ford I saw in posted pics. Hope I was able to prevent this problem and the associated hassles. Too bad I needed to fix this.

I also had a problem with the exhaust and had to fix that too by changing the axle-back exhaust system. Seems it was way too quiet!

And, there was the problem with the suspension floating around. Had to get adjustable shocks to dial that in properly. Ford?

And, it's sucking a bunch of oil through the PCV valve so I needed to modify that system with a separator or risk gunking up the intake and valve train.

If that's not enough, now I have to get a supercharger because Ford didn't put enough horsepower in the GT engine. It just goes on and on! Man, those Ford guys are killing me!

And...I really do love this car!!!
You should post pictures of you shields !
Old 10/16/13, 12:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dineau
You should post pictures of you shields !
Here you go...
Revised TSB for Lower Control Arm squeak-heat-shields.jpg
Revised TSB for Lower Control Arm squeak-heat-shields-2.jpg

Here's the pattern laying flat. The shields are symmetrical. Just bend them left and right.
Revised TSB for Lower Control Arm squeak-heat-shield-pattern.jpg
Old 6/5/14, 10:14 AM

I had this service done and my alignment was off afterward. Dealership said there is no way it could be related and I'd have to pay to get my alignment done. I ended up going to another dealer to get the work done. Sucks paying out of your own pocket to fix things that should be covered. Good thing I spent the extra money on the maintenance package and extended warranty. lol

Last edited by whoishomer; 6/5/14 at 10:22 AM.
Old 6/5/14, 04:41 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Some dealers huh.....

Unbelievable. Not sure which is worse, that they really didn't know changing the LCA's would require an alignment or that they were trying to cheat you out of one.
Old 7/2/14, 05:20 PM

Is this a problem that has followed into the 2014s?

I've been having a creaking issue when I go over bumps and/or rough roads, and at first, I thought it might have been a shoddy exhaust installation, but I've gotten under my car and everything is tacked and bolted down tight.

Along with the creaking, there's what sounds like a thud (what sounds most like something bouncing and hitting the underside of my car) when I'm going over the rough areas.

Do these sound like symptoms of the LCA issues? I just picked up my car from my dealership who said they "couldn't replicate the problem" and they had "driven my car several ways." However, I took a photo of my mileage before I dropped off my car (5,132.5) and afterwards (5,132.8). Needless to say, I'm a little furious.

Last edited by xstriker; 7/2/14 at 05:31 PM.
Old 7/2/14, 05:33 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by xstriker
Is this a problem that has followed into the 2014s? I've been having a creaking issue when I go over bumps and/or rough roads, and at first, I thought it might have been a shoddy exhaust installation, but I've gotten under my car and everything is tacked and bolted down tight. Along with the creaking, there's what sounds like a thud (what sounds most like something bouncing and hitting the underside of my car) when I'm going over the rough areas. Do these sound like symptoms of the LCA issues? I just picked up my car from my dealership who said they "couldn't replicate the problem" and they had "driven my car several ways." However, I took a photo of my mileage before I dropped off my car (5,132.5) and afterwards (5,132.8). They didn't even drive my car more than 176 feet. Needless to say, I'm a little furious.
Yep. Still carried over. I'm waiting on the fix to be concrete before I bring her in.
Old 7/2/14, 06:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by typesredline
Yep. Still carried over. I'm waiting on the fix to be concrete before I bring her in.
I'm going to go ahead and predict the heatshield solution is going to be the permanent one. Keep waiting and you'll never get it fixed anyway.
Old 7/2/14, 08:52 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
I'm going to go ahead and predict the heatshield solution is going to be the permanent one. Keep waiting and you'll never get it fixed anyway.
Thought I read that a couple of people with heat shields still had issues.

Quick Reply: Revised TSB for Lower Control Arm squeak