Repair & Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

Warranty Issues & Waiting 65 DAYS and counting, no loaner, for clutch repair!

Search this Thread

Old 8/22/23, 06:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Warranty Issues & Waiting 65 DAYS and counting, no loaner, for clutch repair!

Hi guys, looking for advice from those who've had extended waits on dealer warranty repairs. I am at a complete loss here:

Story begins w my gen.1 MT-82 suddenly & intermittently experiencing mis-shifts in 3rd gear. In some instances, shifting from 2nd into 3rd, the 3rd gear synchro would block the gate entirely, landing me in neutral. In other (worse!) cases, attempting to shift from 4th to 5th, somehow gates into 3rd. After a bit of this nonsense, clutch shreds.

So, car's at dealership for 2 weeks, repaired, I'm on my way.

Not 200 miles later, experience another mis-shift (2nd to 3rd blocked), I let off clutch in neutral, and I hear it shred again.

Since the car is still under PremiumCare warranty, and the clutch is now under warranty again; back to dealership. It's been there for an additional 7 WEEKS and counting!

I'm told "the factory cluch kit is on backorder with no ETA." The dealer has no loaners available. I've been renting at $500/wk going on 7 weeks now. Apparently, the dealer has requested authorization to purchase an aftermarket clutch. The factory won't approve it.

I've argued that the repair is warrantied, dealer is unable to complete the repair. Therefore, reimburse me for clutch kit & I'll purchase one on the aftermarket myself and hand deliver it. Dealer says only the factory warranty dept can approve the refund, but Ford customer service reps won't even let me speak to anyone in the warranty dept to negotiate something.

All that said, I have no real expectation that an aftermarket clutch won't fail prematurely as well. I've already spoken to Calimer's in PA, they are willing to do the rebuild & install an appropriate clutch. Dealer is willing to ship it to them and dealer will reinstall upon return for no change.

That's all well & good, but doesn't the factory still owe me for the clutch? It's warrantied and they are unable to repair after 7 WEEKS! This is not how warranties work!?!?! WTF!?!?

Christ, this is my third Mustang. Third manual transmission. My first was a used SN95 V6, second was a brand new S197 V8, and this one is a new S550 ('17) GT Track Pk. Like a lot of you guys - I really, really love these cars - but after this experience? I'm questioning whether Mustang is really a "daily driver" anymore. "Daily drivers" are not in the shop for 9 weeks & counting over a transmission repair.

WTF do I do here? Any advice on how to deal w Ford on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm losing my religion here. I want to stay in the fold, but how can I? Wait & keep waiting just isn't acceptable at this point. At this point, it's just bull****.

How do I get refunded what I'm owed & get this down to Calimer's where it can ACTUALLY be fixed?

Last edited by 05stangkc; 8/28/23 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Fixed text color
Old 8/25/23, 08:33 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,576 Likes on 1,905 Posts
Sent PM

Mgb,

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 8/25/23 at 08:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
abomb3383 (8/29/23)
Old 8/25/23, 03:15 PM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 951 Likes on 579 Posts
I have no idea what 05stangkc sent you but this becomes a legal issue when you have a valid warranty. The only thing that will get your dealership cooperating is a letter from an attorney demanding all kinds of monetary compensation. In the future, once this is resolved, avoid Ford dealers like the plague. i have only found two i liked in 40+ years of Ford & Mustang ownership. No more extended warranties either, just your local favorite mechanic from now on. I wish you the best in getting your car back properly repaired.
Old 8/25/23, 06:47 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 602 Likes on 433 Posts
Originally Posted by NC14GT
I have no idea what 05stangkc sent you but this becomes a legal issue when you have a valid warranty. The only thing that will get your dealership cooperating is a letter from an attorney demanding all kinds of monetary compensation. In the future, once this is resolved, avoid Ford dealers like the plague. i have only found two i liked in 40+ years of Ford & Mustang ownership. No more extended warranties either, just your local favorite mechanic from now on. I wish you the best in getting your car back properly repaired.

I didn't think the clutch was even covered under warranty, except for the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty. Always just figured it was considered a consumable item like brake pads, rotors, etc. Shows how much I know, lol.
Old 8/25/23, 07:04 PM

He Was Stuck in Our Moderation Filter For Three Days. I'm Not Set Up To Get Notified So I Have To Manually Check. After That His Post Had to Have Color Fixed to Be Legible. So He Got Overlooked for a Few Days No Fault of His Own or Mine But Simply Technical Glitch.

I Sent a PM Him Cause I Need A Vin! I Posted To Be Able To Track Post. He is Set Up to Receive Emails For PM's and Posts as Far as I Can Tell. He Has Not Signed in Since Post. Now He Could Have Checked without Logging In or Maybe Issue was Resolved Elsewhere.

Anywhoo the Ford Warranty Path is Long & Twisty. Without a Vin I Would Be Spinning My Wheels with Scenarios. The Path with the Vin is Long Enough But I Want to Help! Still May Need Other Info as Well But Without Vin it's all Speculation.

Up To Op!

Any of My Faithful Want to give Me a Like To Verify I Can Be Trusted. Maybe He is Vin Shy! 30+ Years at Ford Dealerships You Pick Up A Thing or Two!

Mgb,

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 8/25/23 at 07:08 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 05stangkc:
abomb3383 (8/29/23), m05fastbackGT (8/26/23), Rather B.Blown (8/25/23)
Old 8/26/23, 04:48 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
KC is a good guy. He has knowledge, experience, and only wants to help. He won't steer you wrong.
05stangkc (8/26/23)
Old 8/26/23, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Paris MkVI
KC is a good guy. He has knowledge, experience, and only wants to help. He won't steer you wrong.
@abomb3383

Thank You!

Op Made Exact Same Post over on Mustang Forums. It's Still Stuck in the Dark Over There as was Posted in Light Blue Color. Can Only Be Viewed in Dark Mode or By Pretending to Cut & Paste. However over There He Lists He is in New York and it is a Track Pak 2017 Gt Which Makes More Sense as Being Under Warranty as It is Listed Here in 2010-2014 Section which was Suspect.

I will Say I Had a Whole Process When it Came To Ordering Parts At The Dealership Which Would Have Stopped This Sort of Issue 9 Times Out of 10 Or At the Very Least Speed it Up.

Mgb,

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 8/26/23 at 12:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 05stangkc:
abomb3383 (8/29/23), m05fastbackGT (8/26/23)
Old 8/28/23, 04:18 AM

Some appologies & some clarification

Hi Guys, thank you for the replies.

First, this should have been posted under 2015-2020 section. I'm not sure how I messed that up. I've been following the forums for years, but never posted. On that evening I was particularly exasperated. I registered for 3 of the forums I've referred to most over the years. Hastily threw posts up. Like I said, loosing my religion over this.

Second, sorry about the tech issues w the actual post itself. I use dark mode on my browser & that seems to be what's caused the issue.

Third, the clutch normally wouldn't be covered under warranty at this point. I had the dealer replace the clutch first time around, paid in full myself. This repair work came w some amount of warranty. (I can't remember if it was 2yr/26k or 3yr/36k; but something in that neighborhood.) Now, this second time around, the clutch is under warranty. So, I have to bring it back to them. That's where all the trouble started. Now, I'm a "captive audience."

And finally, virtually no progress has been made on this since my original post. I've spent another 5hrs+ on the phone w Ford Customer Relations. Lots of ideas & lots of action plans, but little action.

Also, KC, I've replied privately.

Thanks again,

TJ
Old 8/28/23, 05:34 AM

You Were Stuck in Moderation Again for Whatever Reason!

Pm ed Back

Working!

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 8/28/23 at 05:58 AM.
abomb3383 (8/29/23)
Old 8/28/23, 10:55 AM

Working Via Phone With Tj But Wanted To Share Some of What I Am Finding With All!

You Would Be Surprised What Premium care Warranty Covers~ For Instance Lost Keys!

But You Also Need a Knowledgable Dealer To Check For Things Not on Brochure!

Don't Let Em Guess Make Em Check For Coverage on Any Item!

Mgb,

Kc
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Premium Care.pdf (1,021.7 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by 05stangkc; 8/28/23 at 01:27 PM.
abomb3383 (8/29/23)
Old 8/28/23, 02:04 PM

Moved to 2015-2023 Section as it Were and Did Title Mod For Easier Access. Working on Issue Was Like Being Back at Work For Half a Day!

Enjoyed Chatting With TJ Hopefully all Turns Out Ok!

Mgb,

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 8/28/23 at 02:12 PM.
abomb3383 (8/29/23)
Old 8/28/23, 02:35 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 602 Likes on 433 Posts
Originally Posted by abomb3383
Hi Guys, thank you for the replies.

Third, the clutch normally wouldn't be covered under warranty at this point. I had the dealer replace the clutch first time around, paid in full myself. This repair work came w some amount of warranty. (I can't remember if it was 2yr/26k or 3yr/36k; but something in that neighborhood.) Now, this second time around, the clutch is under warranty. So, I have to bring it back to them. That's where all the trouble started. Now, I'm a "captive audience."
Ohhh, I understand now. Didn't know you had it replaced at the dealership on your own previously. Yeah, I'm familiar with the warranty on dealer work like that, so it makes sense now. I was just a little confused and might have misunderstood the situation. Thanks for the clarification .

Sucks you're going through this, I can only imagine how pissed I'd be.
Old 8/29/23, 04:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
I can empathize. When the IMRC broke on my intake manifold, it took four months for them to get the replacement (we were still deep in the pandemic, so major supply chain issues everywhere.) She was not driveable during that time.
Old 8/29/23, 04:58 AM

God that's terrible. The fact that it was a widely known and generally acknowledged to be irresolvable during that time period would help, I'd think.

In this case, they're laying into that same "since Covid" storyline. It just doesn't hold water anymore though. Maybe very specific parts here & there, I'd image electronics for lighting or dash might still be hard to track down. I'll concede that. But blaming a clutch kit - a fully mechanical part - on Covid and the semiconductor shortage.. Come on. That doesn't even make sense.

As I've said, this has really been a nightmare. I've never had an issue anywhere close to this w dealer service before. Maybe I've just been lucky. I used dealer service 100% since I bought my 2010. Same w this 2017.

I suppose now, the real question, who knows a good mechanic in the Albany, NY area? (LOL!)

ALSO: Massive shout-out to KC on this. We won't know for sure until tomorrow at latest, but KC may have PERSONALLY solved this for me in a single afternoon. Ford couldn't pull it off in weeks & weeks. Regardless, KC made this his mission yesterday & he was my personal Mustang savior when I had all but lost faith. KC, you're a good guy. You helped me, you did good by me. I am in your debt, sir. (Also, I'll PM you as soon as I hear anything.)
05stangkc (8/29/23)
Old 8/29/23, 02:59 PM

KC. IS. A. CHAMPION! 🏆 👑

So guess who called 5 minutes ago to inform me that my part has been located??? My Ford Dealer!

My service advisor triumphantly declares, "It's been shipped and it's on its way."

I cut in, "Yeah, it's coming from a warehouse in Jersey, isn't it?"

Service advisor replies, "Yup we found one in a parts warehouse in Jersey."

I cut in again, "Yup, coming today, maybe tomorrow, by UPS, right?"

Service advisor replies, "Yeah, I didn't want to get your hopes up until we had it in hand though."

K.C, that wasn't quite as dramatic as the call we both wanted to make yesterday, but that's still pretty d*** satisfying.

That conversation leaves no room for doubt - K.C. resolved an issue for me in one afternoon that Ford couldn't resolve in 65 days.

I tip my hat & find I am in your debt, my good man. Honestly & truely. A gentleman & a scholar. (Ok. I'll stop. But seriously, he's real, real good at navigating Ford's bureaucratic swamp.)

Last edited by abomb3383; 8/29/23 at 03:02 PM.
05stangkc (8/29/23)
Old 8/29/23, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by abomb3383
So guess who called 5 minutes ago to inform me that my part has been located??? My Ford Dealer!

My service advisor triumphantly declares, "It's been shipped and it's on its way."

I cut in, "Yeah, it's coming from a warehouse in Jersey, isn't it?"

Service advisor replies, "Yup we found one in a parts warehouse in Jersey."

I cut in again, "Yup, coming today, maybe tomorrow, by UPS, right?"

Service advisor replies, "Yeah, I didn't want to get your hopes up until we had it in hand though."

K.C, that wasn't quite as dramatic as the call we both wanted to make yesterday, but that's still pretty d*** satisfying.

That conversation leaves no room for doubt - K.C. resolved an issue for me in one afternoon that Ford couldn't resolve in 65 days.

I tip my hat & find I am in your debt, my good man. Honestly & truely. A gentleman & a scholar. (Ok. I'll stop. But seriously, he's real, real good at navigating Ford's bureaucratic swamp.)
{Edit}

Tj,

Thank You For The Trust in me For Expediting Your Back Ordered Part. I Really Enjoy Helping Others & This Particular Issue was in Keeping with My Many Years of Ford Parts Experience. I came up with a New Term for the Action. {PARTS INTERVENTION}

I really Enjoyed Chatting with you while getting Information to Handle The Issue and Speaking A Bit About the After Covid World . I Look Forward to Hearing The Rest of The Story with your Car and How it Goes if You Care To Share. Sorry if I talked Your Ear Off! Kc Don't Text!

Back in the Day I got to talk To Mustang Customers / Friends on a Daily Basis. I really miss it. It was Great to Have Happy Mustangers Calling to Mod Up Their Cars!

Feel Free to Contact me for Further Information / Advice if You Like at Any Time!

Thank You For The Kind Words of Praise! It Means a Lot to Me!

I hope you Regard me As a New Mustang Brother / Friend

We Have a Small but Great Group of Regular Posters and I Invite you Stick Around if You Like!

Library is Always Open As Well!

Some Car Pics and a Little Post on the Introduction Page Would Be Great if So Inclined.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/f650/

May God Bless!

Humbly,

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 8/30/23 at 08:03 AM.
Old 8/29/23, 10:39 PM

Fords Guide To Clutch Disc Warranty Conditions!

Mgb,

KC
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TransGsm.pdf (1.85 MB, 11 views)
Old 8/30/23, 08:15 AM

Tj,
Hopefully Car Will Be Done for the Labor Day Weekend!

Mgb,

KC