Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2014 Transmission not covered?

Search this Thread

Old 11/19/15, 06:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 Transmission not covered?

I have 44,300 miles on my 2014 and I starting having shifting problems. My clutch felt like crap and started chattering upon take off. Also it would grind to get into 3rd gear.

I took it to Ford who has been backed up in transmission service so a service guy rode with me. He said it sounds like clutch and maybe some adjustment needs to be done on the shifter bracket (blowfish racing). I then ordered a new clutch because my mechanic told me it definitely needs a clutch.

I bought a spec 2+ clutch and aluminum flywheel. Also replaced the slave cylinder. Attached is a picture of the clutch which obviously needed replacing and since it is a wearable item ford doesn't warrant that so I had my mechanic replace it. Mechanic takes it for a ride after the install and tells me the 3rd gear synchro is bad.

I take it to Ford and they are telling me that because someone else installed a clutch, they most likely won't warrant the transmission?! I have an appointment with them on Monday but I can't afford for this not to be covered. It came with a powertrain warranty and it should be covering this. Using the "someone else replaced the clutch" is a bad little loop hole that they are trying to weasel out of that I don't feel is right at all. I had this issue before the clutch was replaced. Had I known it would have been an issue I wouldn't have replaced the clutch until ford took the transmission apart but I was hoping the transmission wasn't the issue.

I'll be contacting Deysha but I am really upset that my car is limping around.
Attached Thumbnails 2014 Transmission not covered?-image1.jpg  
Old 11/19/15, 07:01 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by killaz05
I have 44,300 miles on my 2014 and I starting having shifting problems. My clutch felt like crap and started chattering upon take off. Also it would grind to get into 3rd gear.

I took it to Ford who has been backed up in transmission service so a service guy rode with me. He said it sounds like clutch and maybe some adjustment needs to be done on the shifter bracket (blowfish racing). I then ordered a new clutch because my mechanic told me it definitely needs a clutch.

I bought a spec 2+ clutch and aluminum flywheel. Also replaced the slave cylinder. Attached is a picture of the clutch which obviously needed replacing and since it is a wearable item ford doesn't warrant that so I had my mechanic replace it. Mechanic takes it for a ride after the install and tells me the 3rd gear synchro is bad.

I take it to Ford and they are telling me that because someone else installed a clutch, they most likely won't warrant the transmission?! I have an appointment with them on Monday but I can't afford for this not to be covered. It came with a powertrain warranty and it should be covering this. Using the "someone else replaced the clutch" is a bad little loop hole that they are trying to weasel out of that I don't feel is right at all. I had this issue before the clutch was replaced. Had I known it would have been an issue I wouldn't have replaced the clutch until ford took the transmission apart but I was hoping the transmission wasn't the issue.

I'll be contacting Deysha but I am really upset that my car is limping around.
I understand where you’re coming from, killaz05. I don’t want promise anything will change, but I’m happy to escalate this for you. I got your PM, but will you please send me your best daytime number as well?

Deysha
Old 11/19/15, 07:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I hope things work out for you!!! I'm not going to give my .02 on this one though!!!
Old 11/19/15, 10:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
This is total crap.

It's a wear item. This is like saying "Well, we can't warranty the wheel bearing in your axle because someone swapped out the rear brake pads." or "Oh, someone changed the serpentine belt? Can't warranty the knocking rod bearing."

They better warranty the transmission. Or else... I will be very put out. And you should be contacting a lawyer, perhaps.

---

That being said.. Wow. Only 44K? Whadda doin', riding the pedal down the freeway? My GT has 128000+ on the original clutch (please don't break... please don't break...)

Different driving patterns, different commutes, I have to assume...

Last edited by houtex; 11/19/15 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11/20/15, 06:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
This is total crap.

It's a wear item. This is like saying "Well, we can't warranty the wheel bearing in your axle because someone swapped out the rear brake pads." or "Oh, someone changed the serpentine belt? Can't warranty the knocking rod bearing."

They better warranty the transmission. Or else... I will be very put out. And you should be contacting a lawyer, perhaps.

---

That being said.. Wow. Only 44K? Whadda doin', riding the pedal down the freeway? My GT has 128000+ on the original clutch (please don't break... please don't break...)

Different driving patterns, different commutes, I have to assume...
I have heard of people going through the clutch from 2000 miles (something very wrong there) to 20,000 miles. I drive spiritedly I admit but I don't mind replacing the clutch since it is a wear item and I know it.

I'll have to look at all my options once Ford officially looks at it. I had a service guy ride with me before the clutch was replaced so there is someone there that is aware I was having issues. I took care of one of the potential causes that needed replacing anyway and now I am being penalized for it.