1974-1978 Mustang II Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

My 1976 Mustang II Project

Search this Thread

Old 2/28/08, 01:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am going to do a custom body kit on the car of some sort. It will be based on foam shaped then fiberglassed over. I will probably shape the foam on my cnc router unless I do some of it by hand. I kind of like the front valance but I have a 71 pinto bumper to incorporate into the front. I will be using 1 inch dom round stock .156 wall thickness for the bumper brackets and to tie it to the front of the car. A buddy of mine who is spraying the car is after me to do my car back in black again, I told him i was trying to change the car from what it was before but he will probably win since I want him to spray it.
Old 2/28/08, 06:35 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I am gonna follow this thread...Had a Cobra 2 myself so this one is near and dear to me.
Keep us posted!
Oh and you got me at 345 wide tires..ask the boys about my wide tire fetish
Old 2/29/08, 09:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Let me first say in this post how happy I am about the interest my build has seem to produced. I hope this continues. And I apreciate all the replies.
I really like when a car has tires on it that fills out the wheel wells but doesnt over power the car as I think some of the styling today does do. I searched for a few years to find what I feel is the perfect size for this build. Then after finding the size, I was on a waiting list to get the tires as this is not one of the more popular sold tire size and they were a bit spendy but if it is right then the cost is worth it. I think when the car starts taking mock up shape it should really start looking cool.

The rear tires measure 24.9 inches tall which the stock 13 was 23.9 inches tall. The front tire measures 23.9 inches tall. With the 2 inch dropped spindles and adjustable coil overs I should be able to dial in a good stance. The rear tires are a little wider then 13 inches and the fronts are like 8.5 inches wide. I have a concerned about making the fronts not rub but I think I can manage that. The rear tires I have no issues as far as fitment with. The other thing is I will be able to place the rear tires at a wider stance then the tubbed out mickey thompsons on mustang II's so I should get the right attitude in stance and look.
Old 2/29/08, 10:18 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
With the right backspacing those widths should be no problem

I knew BM would be hooked after those tires. I was just waiting for it
Old 2/29/08, 10:38 AM
Bullitt Member

I did some more measuring and eyeing up the engine compartment and am really leaning towards the 5.4 DOHC. I feel it would make this project alot neater and when done more throatier sound and at a car show, pop the hood and it should wow alot of people. I am looking for a plastic mock up engine in 5.4 size. Otherwise I am going to have to buy the block pay freight to my place, mock up and then send it out to the engine builder and that is alot of freight. If I thought I had an extra 4 grande I would go with the aluminum GT block but I just dont seem to have an extra 4 grande laying around. If anyone wants to take up a charity for it that would fine lol j/k.

also I should say I am still laughing over the we'll call it project triple t.
Old 2/29/08, 01:33 PM
Post *****

I can't seem to find plastic Mod motors, but I was looking at some older ford big block ones and they are between $3-400! is that really cheaper than the freight?
Old 3/1/08, 09:42 AM
Bullitt Member

It is kind of a catch 22 situation. If you get 1,000.00 in frieght by the time it comes from summti racing to my place and ship it to california and back or do you pay 500 for the plastic block and heads or more. Plastic block are nice to work with because you deal with 22 lbs in stead of 150 lbs and if you weld mounts and grind you dont have clean up expense with the plastic block. Then the sad thing is what if I dont build another 5.4 car but I probably will build a street rod after this project and if I do it would be a 5.4. I think I like the 5.4 or something lol. I actually have a 98 f150 2 wheel drive short box reg cab that I ordered new that has the 5.4 with the lariet captain chairs and it has nice power but likes gas. That is where I got the 5.4 idea, not the like gas part lol.(I have alot of cars, a really strange collection)
Old 3/1/08, 10:18 AM
Cobra Member

This is gonna be a really cool project! You should go with the 5.4 engine, it sounds like thats what you really want. I love the shot from the rear with those tires

Best of luck with the car, I'll definitly keep an eye on this thread.
Old 3/1/08, 11:57 AM
Bullitt Member

This is the wheel I am considering. This is from Team III wheels which I am under the impression is the old E T Racing company. I feel this wheel offers a vintage and fresh road racing look. If I could run across some BBS wheels I would go that route but these are pretty awesome I feel.
Attached Images  
Old 3/1/08, 12:39 PM
Bullitt Member

IN this set of pictures I tried to get another view of the rear tire from the front of the car looking back since alot of commented on the rear tire. Also the pictures are not great for showing but I wanted to try to show how I bent the rear frame rail and tied it into the front subframe instead of using a seperate subframe connector. I can bend most tubing from .5 inch round and square up to 3 inch round and square and up to 2 by 3 inch rectangle tube stock. I also can bend 1.75 inch solid stock square or round. I do this on a rotary draw bender which often gets confused as a mandrel bender but is not really a mandrel bender. The results are smooth no to little indentation. Square stock you tend to get slight indentation and there is no real way to prevent that on square stock. I bend roll cages, frame rails, non car parts. If interested please contact me. I hope this doesnt count as spam as that isnt my intentions just showing the car and what I do. If this does constitute as spam I will gladly change it.
Attached Thumbnails My 1976 Mustang II Project-mvc-001s.jpg   My 1976 Mustang II Project-mvc-002s.jpg   My 1976 Mustang II Project-mvc-003s.jpg   My 1976 Mustang II Project-mvc-004s.jpg   My 1976 Mustang II Project-mvc-005s.jpg  

Old 3/2/08, 10:55 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
man thats going to look good
Old 3/2/08, 12:39 PM
Post *****

indeed it does look good

And no grell, its not spam. keep posting as you do
Old 3/2/08, 04:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the comments. I planned along time on this one.
Old 3/3/08, 01:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Here are pictures of the guage panel. The pictures are not the best quality but you can get the general idea. These were actually ordered back in roughly june of 96 or 97, whenever the UPS strike was. They are a bit dated but I am using them in conjunction with an onboard pc setup for voice over and touch control of the wastegates and various other controls for the car. If it works as plan it should be
really safe and really cool.
Attached Thumbnails My 1976 Mustang II Project-mvc-012s.jpg   My 1976 Mustang II Project-mvc-013s.jpg   My 1976 Mustang II Project-mvc-014s.jpg  
Old 3/3/08, 01:58 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
THis car rocks! thats all i have to say about that.
Old 3/3/08, 03:18 PM
Post *****

I like the gauges. Definitely unconventional... but then again what isn't here?

This is a great thread
Old 3/3/08, 03:45 PM
Bullitt Member

here is a lighted up version of the guage set. This is from dakota digital and my set was customized by adding the boost guage which is just sitting close for picture purposes.

Yeah, I want this car to build a different and fresh look. It wasnt intentional but this has some similarities to the Kemp Race car that I saw after I planned this car. But the Kemp race car is a stunning beauty considering it was built in the mid 70's and to this day is just amazing looking.
Attached Images  
Old 3/3/08, 04:35 PM
Bullitt Member

here are pictures of the Kemp car in case anyone hasnt seen it before. These are off the net pictures. To me this is the coolest Mustang II ever. I did see a concept of a street version but I am not sure it panned out for production or not.
Attached Thumbnails My 1976 Mustang II Project-kemp3.jpg   My 1976 Mustang II Project-kemp4.jpg  
Attached Images   
Old 3/3/08, 06:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

A bit off topic, but Grell, NEVER disclose your location to Arin or else one dark night you'll have this funny looking gnome on your front lawn begging for a ride in your II.

Here's a mugshot:

And here's the easiest way to be rid of him:

Old 3/5/08, 09:10 AM
Bullitt Member

I wanted to add a few details about the guage selection that I failed to put. If I didnt have the guages that I have I would probably go with AutoMeter's NV series. I do think my guage set that I have is dated but at the time I purchased them they were cool. I just cant see spending $1000.00 in new guages even though I think the end result could hurt my car. I guess I can spend the $1000 in another place.

Also, I did see that Tire Rack offers the 345-35-15 tires again at $543.00 each. They do not have the matching 225-50-15 anymore. They say in stock on the 345-35-15 but I had to wait a couple of years to get mine when i ordered.

One other thing I need to correct, The 351 windsor is narrower then 27 inches that I had put, I think it is 21 or 23 inches wide. This being said I am leaning towards the 5.4 and this is not firm yet but pretty close.

Quick Reply: My 1976 Mustang II Project