Hall Of Fame Homepage Journal Type & Other Threads of Merit By Admin Invitation Only
View Poll Results: Do you prefer us lobbing Potatoes or Grenades to take care of spammers?
Lob potatoes to just stun them
16.67%
Lob grenades and remove them from the TMS pool permanently
83.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Mustangs Coast to Coast

Search this Thread

Old 4/19/12, 03:55 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by jerseygirl
if an additive is a temporary fix then what would be the best fix for it? i am guessing a new transmission? ...i am not sure about the fluid/filter change but when i had someone look at the filter and check the fluid it all looked fine to them

i do not think my car has overdrive, then again i have no idea, how can i tell if it is or isnt?
Trade in on a new used mustang.
Old 4/19/12, 03:58 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Does your stick show 1,2,3,O? Or 1,2,D? Got a manual?

I wouldn't want to replace a trans so close to 100k. Prob $1500 easy into a not so valuable car.
They may have looked at the fluid on the trans dipstick but the only way to see the filter is by dropping the transmission pan.
its an automatic

should i just take it to evaluate the transmission? i really don't want to be driving and the car just dies on me

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Trade in on a new used mustang.
would rather get a nice ford focus coupe (08-10) first, then work on getting a mustang...
Old 4/19/12, 04:02 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
its an automatic

should i just take it to evaluate the transmission? i really don't want to be driving and the car just dies on me
I know its an automatic. That's why I asked if you have overdrive. lol

I meant your stick on the console or shifter on the tree - that goes P/R/D (OD)/3/2/1, or P/R/D/2/1. 4spd auto or 3 spd auto is the question. What's your manual say if you can't tell?

Look up the record at the dealer or with your parents and learn when the last time the auto trans was serviced - if ever. Without info you're just flying blind.

Last edited by cdynaco; 4/19/12 at 04:06 PM.
Old 4/19/12, 04:03 PM
The Legacy TMS Lady

Received 203 Likes on 132 Posts
its an automatic

would rather get a nice ford focus coupe (08-10) first, then work on getting a mustang...
I think he means a book (manual) on the car
Old 4/19/12, 04:04 PM
The Legacy TMS Lady

Received 203 Likes on 132 Posts
Oops, beat me to it Charlie!
Old 4/19/12, 04:05 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

its an automatic

I know its an automatic. That's why I asked if you have overdrive. lol

I meant your stick on the console or shifter on the tree - that goes P/R/D (OD)/3/2/1, or P/R/D/2/1.
:rofl4: :rofl5: :rofl6: :rofl7:
Old 4/19/12, 04:09 PM
Legacy Tms Member

sorry really tired from work and trying to put words together, no there is no O on the console

i will definitly have to go through the records to see...definitly have to take care of all this before i go back to school in july

but wait when i was there to get my timing belt fixed they did a full car inspection, wouldn't they have told me if there was something really wrong with the transmission?

joe be nice i'm literally typing with one eye open.......and i am known to have many blonde moments.......
Old 4/19/12, 04:17 PM
Post *****

but wait when i was there to get my timing belt fixed they did a full car inspection, wouldn't they have told me if there was something really wrong with the transmission?
No. When I went in for chest surgery they didn't check my ***. rofl Ouch! Hurts to laugh.

An auto trans check is involved - they have to drop the trans pan. That has nothing to do with timing belts and cam sprockets.
Old 4/19/12, 04:19 PM
Legacy Tms Member

No. When I went in for chest surgery they didn't check my ***. rofl Ouch! Hurts to laugh.

An auto trans check is involved - they have to drop the trans pan. That has nothing to do with timing belts and cam sprockets.
sorry going to unblodify myself and try to sound smart!

ok so lets say i went to the dealer and asked them to check my transmission for slippage would they check the filters and transmission fluid as well?
Old 4/19/12, 04:26 PM
Post *****

sorry going to unblodify myself and try to sound smart!

ok so lets say i went to the dealer and asked them to check my transmission for slippage would they check the filters and transmission fluid as well?
Well first find out if the filter has ever been changed so they don't screw you. If it hasn't - or not in like 50k - find out how much to change auto trans filter and trans fluid, explain to them its slipping under load and if maybe they should check/tighten the bands. PS: And why are you using a Dealer$$? Know any good shops with references? Even the quick oil change places can check and change trans filter/fluid but some of those places are hacks. Find a good one and they can do it for less than a Dealer. I don't think they can tighten bands though.

My old auto was slipping too at 100k. The filter had never been changed. So I did so but it was prob too late. Cause they tightened the bands but there was still some slippage up the pass and long hills. So I would drop it from D to 2nd, and it wouldn't slip. The engine is revving a bit higher so mileage goes down, but it didn't slip and I nursed that auto trans for about 10-15k more miles.
My Cruiser - which is a 4 spd auto (meaning top gear or D is an OverDrive [gets better mileage]) is known for trans problems if a) you lug it in overdrive up hills and b) if you don't flush fluid and change filter every 30k.
But if you change filter and flush fluid/add new fluid every 30k, and if you are mindful not to lug the trans in OD going up passes and long hills (so you drop from OD down to 3rd), then the trans will go way over 100k.

That's as clear as I can present it. If you don't have an owners manual I'm sure you can find on online by now. That would also confirm whether you have an OD. I would think a Honda would have had an OD way back in the 90's.

Last edited by cdynaco; 4/19/12 at 04:32 PM.
Old 4/19/12, 04:34 PM
Legacy Tms Member

overwhelmed with information

i will definitly talk to parents and see if there was ever anything done to the transmission and if there wasnt i will go to Honda and see what they can do for me, i need this all done and over with

it drives fine unless you hit 60+mph and then it starts to struggle

thanks for the help charlie, you rock
Old 4/19/12, 04:39 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He does.... when he isn't on a rampage over a stupid joke...
Old 4/19/12, 04:40 PM
Post *****

overwhelmed with information

i will definitly talk to parents and see if there was ever anything done to the transmission and if there wasnt i will go to Honda and see what they can do for me, i need this all done and over with

it drives fine unless you hit 60+mph and then it starts to struggle

Just read it a few times and it will sink in, get ahold of an owners manual and your records, and sleep on it.

Since I know funds are tight, I'm thinking of ways to save money rather than just walking into Honda and their high service prices.

Last edited by cdynaco; 4/19/12 at 04:44 PM.
Old 4/19/12, 04:42 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Just read it a few times and it will sink in, get ahold of an owners manual and your records, and sleep on it.
no joke this is why i love this forum, i have learned more here then ever!

i know dealerships try to catch you, so would it be better if i went to a cheaper reliable shop? or just do what my parents believe is best and get it done at Honda?
Old 4/19/12, 04:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by texastboneking

He does.... when he isn't on a rampage over a stupid joke...
Stop selling, I'm not buying.
Old 4/19/12, 04:52 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts
Well first find out if the filter has ever been changed so they don't screw you. If it hasn't - or not in like 50k - find out how much to change auto trans filter and trans fluid, explain to them its slipping under load and if maybe they should check/tighten the bands. PS: And why are you using a Dealer$$? Know any good shops with references? Even the quick oil change places can check and change trans filter/fluid but some of those places are hacks. Find a good one and they can do it for less than a Dealer. I don't think they can tighten bands though.

My old auto was slipping too at 100k. The filter had never been changed. So I did so but it was prob too late. Cause they tightened the bands but there was still some slippage up the pass and long hills. So I would drop it from D to 2nd, and it wouldn't slip. The engine is revving a bit higher so mileage goes down, but it didn't slip and I nursed that auto trans for about 10-15k more miles.
My Cruiser - which is a 4 spd auto (meaning top gear or D is an OverDrive [gets better mileage]) is known for trans problems if a) you lug it in overdrive up hills and b) if you don't flush fluid and change filter every 30k.
But if you change filter and flush fluid/add new fluid every 30k, and if you are mindful not to lug the trans in OD going up passes and long hills (so you drop from OD down to 3rd), then the trans will go way over 100k.

That's as clear as I can present it. If you don't have an owners manual I'm sure you can find on online by now. That would also confirm whether you have an OD. I would think a Honda would have had an OD way back in the 90's.
There probably hasn't been a Honda without OD in at least 25 years.
Old 4/19/12, 04:55 PM
Post *****

no joke this is why i love this forum, i have learned more here then ever!

i know dealerships try to catch you, so would it be better if i went to a cheaper reliable shop? or just do what my parents believe is best and get it done at Honda?
I never use Dealers. Which is why bone scoffs at me. Now I do for Mustang & Cruiser because a) warranty and b) they're new.

But for my used cars, if I can't do it myself I ask around and use a good shop. There are tons of good mechanics (and a lot of hacks too which is why you want references from friends that have used any certain repair shops).

OK - the schmoogle says

Car is 1998 Civic LX. 150k miles. This car has an automatic transmission. 4-speed overdrive transmission.
So... another way to extend the life of your trans, is when you are going up those hills where you hear slippage, downshift into the next lower gear. 4 down to 3. OD down to whatever is next down. You will give it enough gas so it down shifts - while at the same time actually moving your shifter to that gear so it holds in that gear. That should stop any slippage and help the trans to last. Then when you are at the top of the grade/hill, shift it back to 4th/OD. You can milk it for a long time that way.

Since I learned on Cruiser forums how that makes the trans last, I downshift up the pass every time and then at the top I go back to OD for better mileage. And its only got 7k - but I want it to last and last. Cause I'm cheap.

Still inquire and get the info I suggested... cause perhaps its not that bad yet and a few hundred now will prevent a few thou later.

Last edited by cdynaco; 4/19/12 at 05:00 PM.
Old 4/19/12, 05:04 PM
Legacy Tms Member

so wait, i can shift the car while actually moving? i dont have to stop and change it?
Old 4/19/12, 05:07 PM
Banned

so wait, i can shift the car while actually moving? i dont have to stop and change it?
:rofl4: :rofl5: :rofl6: :rofl7
Old 4/19/12, 05:10 PM
Post *****

"You're gonna drive me to drinkin' if you don't stop drivin' that hot rod Lincoln!"

Quick Reply: Mustangs Coast to Coast