Hall Of Fame Homepage Journal Type & Other Threads of Merit By Admin Invitation Only
View Poll Results: Do you prefer us lobbing Potatoes or Grenades to take care of spammers?
Lob potatoes to just stun them
16.67%
Lob grenades and remove them from the TMS pool permanently
83.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Mustangs Coast to Coast

Search this Thread

Old 12/15/10, 12:22 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that's a cool house your building, i envy the garage.

apartments ftl.
Old 12/15/10, 06:22 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
awesome house gary! gotta love the architect that calls it the "cold air thingies" lol
Old 12/15/10, 06:27 AM
The Legacy TMS Lady

Received 203 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by codeman94
morning boys.... been sick for a few days
Hope you are feeling better, Cody!

Originally Posted by 07S197
Just a new set of sneakers I picked up.

Originally Posted by tannermash
hey guys I am new to the forum and thought i would start off by showing u guys my mustang GT/CS
Nice and welcome!

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I hope they lose too. I'm pulling for the Bears just because I want them to win the division of the Pack. I hate the Pack.

BTW Jimmy. Props to your Pats. For some reason I don't dislike them much anymore. I'm kind of indifferent this year. I think getting rid of Moss and getting a guy like Woodhead (sp?) kind makes me want to pull for them. They just reload and keep going. Belichek is amazing. He's a dick. But still amazing.
I still dislike the Pats.......................a lot

Originally Posted by StangMahn
oh man, the place is going to be gorgeous! love the window selection
+1
Old 12/15/10, 07:00 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
feeling better today.. thanks for the prayers
Old 12/15/10, 11:53 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
my next post will be # 6,000!!
Old 12/15/10, 12:11 PM
The Legacy TMS Lady

Just got my holiday bonus from work
Old 12/15/10, 01:03 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by 08GTCandyApple
if i`m lucky i`ll get a 25 buck kroger card .. and i dont even use kroger .. .. i usually give it away
Old 12/15/10, 01:49 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Congrats Jill.
Old 12/15/10, 02:53 PM
The Legacy TMS Lady

Originally Posted by HOSS429
if i`m lucky i`ll get a 25 buck kroger card .. and i dont even use kroger .. .. i usually give it away
I've had jobs where I never even got that much! This place treats me very well

Originally Posted by Blue Notch
Congrats Jill.
Thanks
Old 12/15/10, 03:04 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This place treats me very well
Old 12/15/10, 03:37 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Thanx.

Any gassing from the foam?

Some here have successfully used the Blue Max but that's just the foundation walls above the footing, not spray for the living area walls.

I'm using a combination of foil covered dense foam + pink stuff (with soffit to peak ventilation) in my loft's attic room trusses so I didn't have to add firring strips to the top cord to allow the needed depth.

Where I get confused is where the underfloor inspection takes place.
Apparently that is done before the floor deck is glued & nailed, but basically only confirms the floor joists (BCI joists on pony walls over a cement slab in my case), any foundation walls and insulation, and vapor barrier... right?
And then I'm Ok to lay down the deck/underlayment and proceed to elec, plum, hvac rough-in inspection right?
Supposedly there is no gassing from the foam. We've used it for about 4 years now and it does save some energy. 90% of what we do is still traditional fiberglass insulation with soffit to peak attic ventilation. This costs quite a bit more, but you could heat the house with 8 people, 6 TV's and a candle!

And like you said. Where you have vaulted ceilings its important to have thicker rafters for the insulation. You don't want to pack the cavity full. It needs that air space behind it for that soffit to peak ventilation.

That sounds right on the underfloor inspection. Though we have nothing like that here. We don't have a freeze line in our ground. And all of our slabs are slab on grade (concrete on dirt). No crawl spaces and no basements.

Our inspection process is foundation before it is poured. This includes plumbing rough-in and steel inspection. Then comes the framing inspection which is done after the decking is in place and all walls and such are framed in. At the same time the plumbers top out, the electricians rough-in, and the HVAC rough-in is inspected. Then comes the insulation inspection before drywall can go up. Then if there are any driveways or sidewalks to be poured they are inspected after they are formed up but before they are poured. Then there's an electrical service inspection before electricity can be turned on. Then the final inspection checks all electrical circuits, all plumbing, any gas lines, final HVAC inspection, and then the overall evaluation of building code compliance. After all this last one is approved you can get a C of O. Certificate of Occupancy, and be allowed to inhabit the residence by the city. Without it you can't get utilities transferred over to the new owner.

But none of this apples to me as I am out of the city limits and there is zero inspections or code compliance authority in this county. However it behooves us to build all houses to comply to the current city code. Which is the 2005 International Residential Code. They are currently trying to adopt the newer 2009 IRC which will result in higher wind storm standards and...

you guessed it! Higher home prices.

This place treats me very well
Obviously you deserve it. Lord knows good employees are hard to find.
Old 12/15/10, 03:57 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I've had jobs where I never even got that much! This place treats me very well

Thanks
yup! I've been working at the company I'm at now 2.5 years, this will be my third christmas, and I havent gotten anything for bonus in any year. That's some major

Especially considering what they give regular employess as bonuses (4 digit checks and gifts - iPods and silver/gold custom watches last year)

Obviously you deserve it. Lord knows good employees are hard to find.
aint that the truth!
Old 12/15/10, 04:31 PM
Post *****

That sounds right on the underfloor inspection. Though we have nothing like that here. We don't have a freeze line in our ground. And all of our slabs are slab on grade (concrete on dirt). No crawl spaces and no basements.
Thanx for taking the time for that. I just want to follow my common sense and build each phase accordingly. I'd put down the vapor barrier on the slab, lay out the BCI's on the pony walls, then lay the floor deck so I could build the partition wall (separating the garage stalls from the living area), throw up some insulation so I could hold some heat in the room so I could work thru the winter. Then build interior wall frame, pull wire and glue pipe.

But the inspectors here want several steps in a certain order according to their silly rules. (So I've been scratching my head about the 'underfloor inspection' - he's already seen the slab and the pony walls bolted in.) I don't know if its Oregon, West Coast, or because of the higher seismic zone (D); but even though I'm a homeowner way out in the sticks I'm under the same inspection constraints that a contractor would in town. It does surprise me however that you are not under the same requirements as your city codes because you'd think they'd want to be consistent - not only for building standards but for financing for 'conforming' mortgages. So I think its wise you're meeting that stuff anyway.

I thought it was dumb that the Planning Dept doesn't require Truss manufacturers to build for the insulation requirements. I mean isn't that part of their job to make sure all phases work together to meet ALL inspections??

My attic room truss's top cord is 2x8 and bottom cord is 2x10. Then when it came time to figure for insulation I learned a 2x8 doesn't allow enough for required R factor. Those idiots! It would have only cost me a few hundred extra for 2x10 top cords. I didn't want to do the firring strips because I'm using t&g pine that I milled from my trees for the ceiling and didn't want the extra weight (& hassle), nor did I want to lose 2" of interior ceiling clearance because its already slanted. So I had to shell out about $1000 for the dense foam, added 1" strips to the bottom of the roof deck between each cord to allow for air flow. I learned the hard way how critical ventilation is.

My old manufactured home's roof failed in 03 after 20+ years - prob mostly from snow weight (on stock "trusses" [lol] which really weren't adequate for this area), plus the 93 earthquake took its toll. I sold it to a friend who hauled it off and rebuilt the roof for a place for his daughter. As we took the old roof and deck off, you could see how the lack of ventilation partly rotted several areas of the roof framing & soffits - which made it even easier for snow + earthquake to cause structural damage. The whole thing worked out well for me though because I always carried 'replacement coverage' to allow for inflation. Since it wasn't worth repairing, they wrote a check based on 2004 valuation and I started the new project I'd always been planning/saving for since I first moved here.

When I did some consulting work for a custom builder from about 2k-03, he griped how the Bldg Dept was requiring stronger snow loads (hence foundation loads) every 4-6 mos. He described it as the engineers were covering their butt - so the design was dang near so it would withstand record snow, record wind, and record earthquake - all at the same time!! It was ludicrous. Who knows if its finally levelled off.
Attached Thumbnails Mustangs Coast to Coast-loft-w-w.jpg   Mustangs Coast to Coast-loft-e-w.jpg   Mustangs Coast to Coast-pony-wall-7-w.jpg  

Last edited by cdynaco; 12/15/10 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12/15/10, 06:54 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I see what you are doing now.

Don't you just love the I-joists?

That's the same thing in my garage ceiling. Neat little knockout holes for electrical lines. Always true. Never twisted or crappy like the fast growth #2 crappy 2x12's you find in the lumber yards today.

For a while the state of Texas had a construction commission that required all homes built in the state to be built to code and they had to be built by a licensed contractor. They kept info on bad builders and sanctioned them much like a medical board would do to a doctor. But the consumers complained that it gave too much leeway to the builders. The reputable builders loved it as it meant that all the pickup truck builders couldn't compete without the license. Not that it was expensive, but it required testing and continuing education.

Ultimately the state legislature just let it expire without addressing it. Most mortgage companies and banks have picked up where it left off, but instead of requiring inspections (BTW FHA and VA all require inspection in town or not) but instead usually requiring that the home be built by a builder. It's hard for a do it yourselfer to get that loan to build their own home anymore. They've really got to show some kind of previous experience in it.
Old 12/15/10, 07:27 PM
Post *****

Don't you just love the I-joists?
That's the same thing in my garage ceiling. Neat little knockout holes for electrical lines. Always true. Never twisted or crappy like the fast growth #2 crappy 2x12's you find in the lumber yards today.

For a while the state of Texas had a construction commission that required all homes built in the state to be built to code and they had to be built by a licensed contractor. They kept info on bad builders and sanctioned them much like a medical board would do to a doctor.
That's exactly what goes on in Oregon with the Construction Contractors Board. Its good for many reasons and helps consumers have some recourse against a flaky builder, but it has also added the usual extra expense and headaches by a bureaucracy (and you know how I just love those! )

but instead usually requiring that the home be built by a builder. It's hard for a do it yourselfer to get that loan to build their own home anymore. They've really got to show some kind of previous experience in it.
I think the inspection process is part of what allows some DIY construction here, but lenders still prefer a contractor. In fact I was concerned about that - plus being just one person with a dis arm who can't work outdoors long in the cold, I am not on any precise building schedule. So I paid cash and then once the building was this far along (living in half while finishing the interior of the addition 'shell' that was added immediatley by the contractor), I was able to get a reasonable appraisal 'as is' (even in 2009) for a cash out refi to repay my savings, although that meant a non-conforming rate which bumped me from 4.75 to 5.75. 5.75 seems high right now, but in a few years I'm sure it will be cheap as mortgage rates get back to normal. Plus with the appraisal being as is with a fairly complete building and a relatively low LTV, I don't have the lender bugging me about an inspection schedule. Although I really want to get it done so I can move stuff into the office & laundry (downstairs) and the master bedroom to the loft. I'm sick of tripping over all these boxes!

Last edited by cdynaco; 12/15/10 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12/15/10, 07:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
That doesn't happen around here. We have a strict policy on that. No tv, radio, computer, cell phone, texting, etc. during supper. If the phone starts ringing, let the machine get it. Its a good thing. Family meal time is important, no distractions, we talk about our day, what's on our mind, etc. Started this years ago, and its one of the best things I've ever done.
+1 ... Thats the way its gonna be at my house, thats kinda what my parents do right now.
http://kstp.com/news/stories/S1882778.shtml?cat=1

I HATE FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!

I have my stupid spanish final monday night. Where in the hell am I gonna park?!

No, I'll have to sit in traffic for two hours, struggle and overpay just to park when I normally park for free, then budge through the endless crowds of drunk morons just to get to my stupid final. I hope they freeze or lose or both!
Are you sure their not gonna do anything for the students like reserve a special section for the people that ave finals? If not thats not right I would assume the school knows you have finals to take and is gonna do something for the students.
And the garage loft. This is what's behind the window over the two garage doors on the left. It looks down on the 3rd garage bay.

The four walls of the 'man' loft...

Behind the door is the storage area of the attic.
Front of house

Back of house

OMG Umm I LOVE your garage!!!! The rest of your wooden structure seems amazing!!
I'm gonna steal your house after it's finished and transplant in in MN.

Um but don't you hate Minnesota and want to move the fudge away from there????
Whats a holiday bonus???

Congrats Jill!!! You deserve it most likely ... I would spend it on yourself but thats just me
Old 12/15/10, 07:40 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by ford20

HAHAHAHA, yeah. That boy will be in Minnesota until his toes turn up and hes 6ft under.
Old 12/15/10, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by ford20

Are you sure their not gonna do anything for the students like reserve a special section for the people that ave finals? If not thats not right I would assume the school knows you have finals to take and is gonna do something for the students.

They don't care about the commuters. Everyone already lives on campus.

I love Minnesota, I HATE winter.
Old 12/15/10, 09:05 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 643 Likes on 463 Posts
Stupid freezing rain. I've got about a half inch of ice on everything. The roads are impassable. Hope the powerlines don't start snapping.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 12/15/10 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12/15/10, 10:01 PM

Gotta love winter. (No you don't)

Bus driver at school was mad today. First the guy kept shutting doors on people trying to get on the bus when there was plenty of room for them to get on. (they're free with multiple doors to get on) They usually wait for them to fill up so everyone can get on, but this guy was in some sort of a mad rush. Several people got caught in the closing doors but managed to get on. But one poor girl got her hand stuck in the doors when he started to take off. It took her a second or two, but she was thankfully able to get free. Then some girl was running up to the bus to jump on before it took off, and she ended up sliding right into a closed door. She could have slid right under the bus and the driver would've had no clue. Don't think I'll ever get on his bus again.

Quick Reply: Mustangs Coast to Coast