Hall Of Fame Homepage Journal Type & Other Threads of Merit By Admin Invitation Only
View Poll Results: Do you prefer us lobbing Potatoes or Grenades to take care of spammers?
Lob potatoes to just stun them
18.18%
Lob grenades and remove them from the TMS pool permanently
81.82%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Mustangs Coast to Coast

Search this Thread

Old 12/9/09, 07:27 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
And Scothew complains about there being no tech in here.
Old 12/9/09, 07:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
No I believe in was car pictures
Old 12/9/09, 07:34 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey gary have you checked to see what the draw is when you crank it? You might have to put one that has a lilmore cold cranking amps in it. Also the stereo will draw juice formthe battery too when turned off. It still keeps the memory but I dont think that will drain it that fast. Did you install a system in it with an amp and speakers? If so the amp might be drawing it too. Just a few suggestions I thought I would throw out there.
Old 12/9/09, 07:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hey Gary what town fire or police are you closest too ? On the iPhone I can get like 59 scanners to listen into but not in my own town, I have to use my personal high tech one for that and they thought the new frequenceys couldn't be had, you only break the law if you tell what you here, example if I heard them coming to get my neifhbours boy friend he ll I'd let them but if I told him first I'd be in hot water.
Old 12/9/09, 07:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by BoogieNights
Hey gary have you checked to see what the draw is when you crank it? You might have to put one that has a lilmore cold cranking amps in it. Also the stereo will draw juice formthe battery too when turned off. It still keeps the memory but I dont think that will drain it that fast. Did you install a system in it with an amp and speakers? If so the amp might be drawing it too. Just a few suggestions I thought I would throw out there.
Or the kids or wife just sit in it with tunes cranked good way for daughter to entertain the boy friend !
Old 12/9/09, 07:47 PM

What are you using for an amp turn on Gary?
Old 12/9/09, 07:51 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I've got all kinds of accessories on that car. So it could be anything. I hope its something simple like the battery or even the wire. I could replace that easily. I think I need to see what's going on around the headers too. See if anything is getting cooked.

I have read that you can have something like a closed circuit that while not big enough to trip a fuse, would be large enough to drain a battery. Something like an exposed wire to ground on anything from a taillight to the wire on the alternator itself.

So armed with all this knowledge I will check everything out this weekend. The good news is it is not the alternator and I can rule that out.

I honestly would not at all be surprised if it was the battery. I don't think it was ever very strong.
Old 12/9/09, 07:54 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Blue Notch
What are you using for an amp turn on Gary?

You mean my 12volt turn on lead.

On the JVC head unit there is an output for remote turn on. Everything is tied into that via a 14 gauge wire.
Old 12/9/09, 07:57 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

With everything that You have done to her she sure is a sexy beast. If I was a car I would definitly not kick her out of the garage.
Old 12/9/09, 08:08 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by BoogieNights
With everything that You have done to her she sure is a sexy beast. If I was a car I would definitly not kick her out of the garage.
Thanks Dirk. But she is a work in progress. Even if she is about 99% complete.

I got the brake ducts from teh little brown truck today.

I decided that fro street use the brake ducts, the Hawk brake pads, and the slotted rotors are enough brakes for me. I'll add stainless steel brake lines soon too. I've had those in the attic for a year now. That way I can keep my stock brakes, which means I can keep my black bullitts too.

The only major item left is the cowl hood.

I can hardly wait to get that. Those flat black stripes are gonna look so sweet on top of that black cowl hood. The long rising straight lines will make for an awesome effect I think.
Old 12/9/09, 08:11 PM
Post *****

Dirk,

I have a question and its been something that has perplexed me ever since I put the stripes on. I've talked about it with others, but I've never really had an expert like you to ask about it.

What is the best way to make my flat black stripes permanent, but at the same time make it easy to maintain.

If I just have flat black painted on I will have that ridge along the edges. Plus I'll have the whole waxing problem. No wax can get on the flat black and that's hard to do.

Can you clearcoat over flat black? What does that end up looking like? Is there a solution that you know of?
Old 12/9/09, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
You mean my 12volt turn on lead.

On the JVC head unit there is an output for remote turn on. Everything is tied into that via a 14 gauge wire.
Just wondering.
Thanks Dirk. But she is a work in progress. Even if she is about 99% complete.

I got the brake ducts from teh little brown truck today.

I decided that fro street use the brake ducts, the Hawk brake pads, and the slotted rotors are enough brakes for me. I'll add stainless steel brake lines soon too. I've had those in the attic for a year now. That way I can keep my stock brakes, which means I can keep my black bullitts too.

The only major item left is the cowl hood.

I can hardly wait to get that. Those flat black stripes are gonna look so sweet on top of that black cowl hood. The long rising straight lines will make for an awesome effect I think.
The cowl will be awesome.
Old 12/9/09, 08:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Later crew. Need to get some shut eye. I'll take pics of the truck tomorrow if the weather lets me. Lata
Old 12/9/09, 08:28 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Dirk,

I have a question and its been something that has perplexed me ever since I put the stripes on. I've talked about it with others, but I've never really had an expert like you to ask about it.

What is the best way to make my flat black stripes permanent, but at the same time make it easy to maintain.

If I just have flat black painted on I will have that ridge along the edges. Plus I'll have the whole waxing problem. No wax can get on the flat black and that's hard to do.

Can you clearcoat over flat black? What does that end up looking like? Is there a solution that you know of?

The base color on cars are actually kinda like a semigloss/flat. What brings out the shine is the clear coat. Yes if you get wax on the flat paint it will start to shine because when you wax you are actaully taking off a very very small amount layer from the clearcoat. That is why when I paint a car right after it has that orange peel look to it. I will then wetsand it but not to the point of removing the orange peel completely cuz when I buff it out to get the shine it will remove the orange peel the rest of the way and make it look like it is either wet or look smooth as glass/mirror.

To be completely honest with you I havent really messed with having a flat color hood or stripes so I really cant tell you how to keep it looking goodwithout a lot of maintanance. I will contact my uncle cuz he has been doing body and paint for I wanna say close to if not over 30 years and ask him about that and let you know what he says.

As for the edge yeah it will be there due to having it taped off when sprayed. The way that I get rid of that is I will take the car down and have it pinstriped. They will pinstripe right along that edge and it will pretty much disappear. The widths of pinstripe can go from as thin as taking an ink pen and writing wiith it or 1/4" thick. Since it is looking like you want to keep it all black and no other color I dont knowhow it will look with a black pinstripe along that edge will look. If the car that i was painting aint gonna get pinstriped and it is all gonna be shiny then I will layer the clearcoat till it is smooth. My uncle and I did this on a set of ghost flames on a 50 merc and it took 7 coats of clear to get the lines from the flames to disappear so that you could not see them when you looked down the car. The only way you could see the flames was when the sun would hit it.

I hope that this helps you out. I will defintily get back with you on keeping the flat black stripes look fresh.
Old 12/9/09, 08:33 PM
Post *****

Dirk-

Thanks for the response.

My biggest question is can you put flat black paint under clear coat? And would it still look flat black?

ANd I think the paint I'm talking about is called like hot rod black or something. It's a special purpose paint that they use for Mach 1 hoods and stuff like that.
Old 12/9/09, 08:38 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Dirk-

Thanks for the response.

My biggest question is can you put flat black paint under clear coat? And would it still look flat black?

ANd I think the paint I'm talking about is called like hot rod black or something. It's a special purpose paint that they use for Mach 1 hoods and stuff like that.

No if you paint flat black under clear it will turn out shiny like the rest of the rest of the car.

I will definitly ask my uncle about that paint. Personally I havent heard of it since I havent been doing body work as long as he has but he should know abou thtat paint then.
Old 12/9/09, 08:40 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by edumspeed
Later crew. Need to get some shut eye. I'll take pics of the truck tomorrow if the weather lets me. Lata
Later Eduardo.
Old 12/9/09, 08:53 PM
I will buy Jack Stands!!!

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Master procrastinator at work. Got a paper due tommorow... Told myself I'd start working on it at 1:00 when I got home.... here we are almost 10 hours later and I'm just about to start
Old 12/9/09, 09:10 PM
I will buy Jack Stands!!!

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Starting... now!
Old 12/9/09, 09:15 PM
Post *****

Riiiight.

Quick Reply: Mustangs Coast to Coast