Ecoboost

Ford Mustang EcoBoost has fake engine soundtrack

Search this Thread

Old 10/2/14, 11:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boss 0960
There are times on long highway drives that I get tired of the exhaust noise from the Boss side pipes. But that's a real sound coming straight out of the engine itself. I can deal with that because in the vast majority of cases, it a great sound but not for 11 hours straight.

I still don't get the concept of buying the Ecoboost as a performance car but as a modern coupe that is likely to serve as a daily driver and highway road trip car, it would be better for that purpose if it was quieter. Since the engine sounds are fake, they should be able to be shut off. Yes, they are fake noises despite some of the preposterous arguments presented here. It comes from the RADIO, not the engine...i.e. fake.

Let's face it, if you are not buying the raucous V8, you are buying commuter coupe with sporty pretensions. It should comfortable and quiet for daily and/or highway use (at least as an option if the noise is coming from the radio).
Oh heck lets face it, the GT is exactly that, a grand touring car. It's not a hardcore racing car and there is good reason for that. You can't sell a hardcore racing car to the general public because they are uncomfortable, loud and drink gas. Is it a good performing car? You bet. As far as street cars go it's a great car. In fact the Mustang / Camaro might be the ideal street performance car precisely because they aren't slammed to the ground leaving the driver to worry about every little pot hole and speed bump. They are ideally suited to street driving while race cars are ideally suited to race tracks. You take a Corvette for instance. A great performing car but hell you can't even drive up a lot of driveways in the thing without slowing to a crawl and taking it an angle. Railroad tracks are bad news. Meanwhile the Mustang negotiates these obstacles with the greatest of ease. Will the Mustang outrun the Corvette? Obviously not. At least not most Mustangs. But then I don't have to worry about every bump in the road potentially tearing off the bottom of my car either.
Old 10/13/14, 10:50 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy

I am still let down by the Ford engineers who decided to pump a fake engine sound into the drivers compartment of the Ecoboost Mustang. I can live with piping sound from the engine into the drivers compartment, but to put fake sound into the stereo is going too far. Hopefully, Ford will have an option in the near future to allow the owner to switch the fake sound off so the owner can enjoy the sound of an aftermarket exhaust without hearing the fake sound.
Old 10/13/14, 11:59 AM
CBJ
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford should not have done this. Consumers are smart enough to know a 4 is quiet. Ford is putting that stigma out there themselves.
Old 10/13/14, 12:30 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I hope ford understands that some people like quite.. Not everyone is looking for muscle car loudness all the time or from every car they own.
Old 10/14/14, 11:37 AM
Cobra Member

Cool

My brother just bought a 2015 Fiat 500. The car has a 4 cylinder engine with no fake engine sounds piped into the car. Outside the car the exhaust is rather quiet but it still makes a rather pleasant sound as the car accelerates. As I understand, the performance version ,the Abarth 500, with the turbo has a really great sounding exhaust. All the female sales people at the dealership just loved the exhaust sound. If Fiat can make an exhaust sound good with a turbo 4, maybe Ford could do the same.
Old 10/14/14, 11:42 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Drove one on the weekend.

You don't notice anything. It sounds like a four banger with a bit of a bite/growl (as much of a four banger can do)

Good sounding car, its not pretending to sound like anything its not,but the volume isn't in your face either.

Infact quite the opposite. It's REALLY quiet in the car. Quietest Ford I've ever been in.

Fun car. Was pleasantly surprised.
Old 10/14/14, 01:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boomer
Drove one on the weekend.

You don't notice anything. It sounds like a four banger with a bit of a bite/growl (as much of a four banger can do)

Good sounding car, its not pretending to sound like anything its not,but the volume isn't in your face either.

Infact quite the opposite. It's REALLY quiet in the car. Quietest Ford I've ever been in.

Fun car. Was pleasantly surprised.
I will give the Ecoboost one attaboy. In the video of the Ecoboost on the dyno, it sounds like a turbine. Secretly, I kinda like that...the idea of being propelled in silence save for a whoosh of air. If the moon and stars aligned in Ford's favor such that I would even consider the Ecoboost, that is the one characteristic that I would want to experience. Except that this experience is artificially defeated by fake bite/growl coming through the radio. And it can't be turned off.

Enough with the manipulation and games trying to boost the Ecoboost's sales numbers. Just let the engines sound like the engines sound like. Let the customer choose which engine they like the best with the options they want. Is that too much to ask?
Old 10/14/14, 01:16 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You make it sound like it's an invassive noise that is ruining your ability to enjoy life.
Unless someone told you about it, you wouldn't even know it's there.

I'm waiting to see the petition to go up "Let me hear the s*** noises Ford, let my ears be free. Let me turn it off once because I can, and then realize how s**** it is, and leave it on for the rest of it's life"

Noise cancellation techniques are overated anyway
Old 10/14/14, 01:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boomer
"Let me hear the s*** noises Ford, let my ears be free. Let me turn it off once because I can, and then realize how s**** it is, and leave it on for the rest of it's life"
What's the problem with that...for the price of a digital "OFF" icon?
Old 10/16/14, 10:56 AM
Cobra Member

Talking

I am thinking one could go to a Fiat dealer and buy a muffler for a Fiat 500 Abarth and replace the Ecoboost Mustang muffler with it. It would be fun to hear what an Ecoboost 4 would sound like with the Abarth muffler.