Ecoboost

Ford Mustang EcoBoost has fake engine soundtrack

Search this Thread

Old 9/24/14, 05:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Mustang EcoBoost has fake engine soundtrack

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/09/24/f...ne-soundtrack/

You know the GT having the engine noise pipped in from the intake tube is one thing but this is just, . . . just . . . . lame.

Last edited by White2010; 9/24/14 at 05:12 PM.
Old 9/24/14, 05:38 PM

While I realize four bangers don't have the sweetest of exhaust notes, Exhaust Muzak is just wrong. Even four bangers can be made to sound pretty good - just heard a Fiat Abarth on the way to work this morning and that little thing sounded like "Exhaust Note by Ferrari." Loud (don't know how it made it past the noise regs), but rich and soulful, not the usual grating, flat four-banger blat.

It can be done, naturally.
Old 9/24/14, 05:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rhumb
While I realize four bangers don't have the sweetest of exhaust notes, Exhaust Muzak is just wrong. Even four bangers can be made to sound pretty good - just heard a Fiat Abarth on the way to work this morning and that little thing sounded like "Exhaust Note by Ferrari." Loud (don't know how it made it past the noise regs), but rich and soulful, not the usual grating, flat four-banger blat.

It can be done, naturally.
I agree. For all the effort Ford put into developing a fake engine soundtrack that goes to the degree of monitoring engine torque to make sure it sounds "natural" they could have put the same amount of effort into developing an exhaust system that gave the motor a good sound. Fake engine sounds playing over the stereo just screams "poser" to me. Even if the car sounded horrible, I'd still rather have that than a fake engine sound on my stereo.
Old 9/24/14, 06:28 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
I realize there is a sound track but what they are not telling you is it has more to do with noise canceling than noise making. It cancels out all the nasty noises that 4 cylinders make. But adding a little can make it sound way way different in the cabin. This is nothing new most middle to high end 4 5 and 6 cylinders that car makes have use this technology. These are speakers LOL

Just another reason why..... I made the right decision.
Old 9/24/14, 06:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Modders are going to replace the sound files with Maserati MC Stradale sound files...bet on it.
Old 9/24/14, 06:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by IndustryLeech
Posers are going to replace the sound files with Maserati MC Stradale sound files...bet on it.
Fixed that for you lol
Old 9/24/14, 07:02 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey how about we start an Audio upgrade company for BadAzz exhaust sounds.

Cheaper than a Fart can and can be changed as needed??? LOL The ricers will love it!!
Old 9/24/14, 07:42 PM
Bullitt Member

This really is nothing new. BMW has done this for a few years now with the M5 I believe it is. Their reason was that the sound deadening is so good that drivers complained they couldn't hear the engine so BMW created sound files that are played based on engine load and whatnot.
Old 9/24/14, 07:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by flynavy
This really is nothing new. BMW has done this for a few years now with the M5 I believe it is. Their reason was that the sound deadening is so good that drivers complained they couldn't hear the engine so BMW created sound files that are played based on engine load and whatnot.
I remember when BMW first came out with it. Thought it was lame then too.
Old 9/24/14, 08:38 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by IndustryLeech
Modders are going to replace the sound files with Maserati MC Stradale sound files...bet on it.
Coming to a Prius near you...

Old 9/24/14, 09:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They should just pipe in the sounds from the 5.0 so it sounds like a real Mustang.
Old 9/25/14, 12:47 AM
Cobra R Member

This is just plain sad! If this was a Camaro we would be ripping it! Ford you should be ashamed at yourselves!

While other will tell us to simply buy a GT,not all of us want or can afford one. Ford if your going to "rice" up the eco Mustang,at least give us the option of turning the stupid fake engine sound off! (not just pulling fuse #27 which also kills the radio)
Old 9/25/14, 06:11 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 88lx50
They should just pipe in the sounds from the 5.0 so it sounds like a real Mustang.
Why is the GT the "real" Mustang? Why isn't the GT500 the "real" Mustang? Or the upcoming rumored flat plane crank GT350... will that be a "real" Mustang?

If Ford builds it and puts Mustang on it, then it's a REAL Mustang.

All that being said, I'm disappointed they didn't go the Sound symposer route like the ST. It sounds fantastic and is noise actually produced by the engine. Keep the noise cancellation aspect, but don't add anything through the speakers.

Last edited by AWmustang; 9/25/14 at 06:14 AM.
Old 9/25/14, 06:54 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Why is this just coming out as news now?
It's been in all the info since the car was announced.
(ANC - using a mic in the cabin to determine what sounds should or shouldn't be cancelled out via an opposite wave. Accenting natural sounds of the engine, and cancelling out the annoying ones)

Just because someone pulled the fuse to the stereo (which we knew was part of this technology) now everyones up in arms.

You haven't even heard the differences yourself to see if it does make the difference to the sound of the vehicle in the cabin.

If Ford didn't have it, you might complain that the engine sounds like crap and Ford should have done something about it.

Ford does something about it and people complain about how they don't want it, not even knowing how horrible it might sound without it.

I swear, complaining is a skill some people should put on their resume.
Old 9/25/14, 07:02 AM

That's the trouble with four bangers, especially big ones, that despite whatever quantitative numbers they might grind out, they'll always be lacking in the qualitative NVH department as compared to their multi cylinder brethren. Fours simply produce a lot more unpleasant noises worth covering up somehow while a V8 5.0's glorious sounds need no molesting, sounding better the more their is.

I agree that a sound tube, ala the Focus ST would have been a better, truer, more honest route to sonic goodness, or at least bearability, than piped in artificial engine Muzak.

Or just hire the guy who developed the pipes on the Fiat Abarth.

Or just spring for the V8.

Last edited by rhumb; 9/25/14 at 07:25 AM.
Old 9/25/14, 09:38 AM
Bullitt Member

In fairness, it's not a "fake engine sound" or a canned sound file that's played. Let's be clear what it actually is and what it isn't. According to Dave Perciak, Chief Mustang Engineer....

With the Ecoboost engine we have both active noise cancellation, and we also amplify the existing engine sound order. We don't create an artificial sound, we don't pluck one off the shelf, we bring in the real sound, process it, and play it through the car's speakers.

Now that you have the facts......flame on.
Old 9/25/14, 11:06 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It's a noise filter.
Letting the sounds play you want to hear, and using a cancelling sound (not engine vrrom vroom noises) to stop the sounds you don't want to hear.

An electronic cabin engine muffler basically.
Mufflers moddify your exhaust noise. They could put some in that REALLY cancel out noises, but who the **** would want that?
Old 9/25/14, 11:14 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
four bangers don't have a great sounds.. No one thinks a four banger sounds better then a V12 TT motor..

Fake sound is silly and a waste of money. Some people will like it.

the EB motors do not sound horrible, but they will make you miss a new 5.0 with a Roush exhaust.

Old 9/25/14, 11:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only good sounding 4 banger that I've ever heard is Subaru's WRX STi but that is because the unusual combination of being a turbocharged boxer engine with unequal length headers feeding the turbo. It has a nice, almost V8, deep rumble.
Old 9/25/14, 12:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Jazzman442

Hey how about we start an Audio upgrade company for BadAzz exhaust sounds.

Cheaper than a Fart can and can be changed as needed??? LOL The ricers will love it!!
Replace the sound track with actual fart noises.

Quick Reply: Ford Mustang EcoBoost has fake engine soundtrack