Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Winter wheel/tire discussion

Search this Thread

Old 4/4/12, 07:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like a second set of wheels for just that: ease of switching them out. No busting & mounting, balancing, etc. You can do it in your driveway if need be.

The all-weathers for 05-09s are excellent IMO so would assume newer ones are too. The carpet under them in my car looks like factory new and mine is a DD in New England.
Old 4/4/12, 09:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by cweese
Thanks. Why did you guy a new set of wheels as well? Just for easy of changing?

I ordered the all weather floor mats when I placed the order for the Mustang. I'm not sure how good they are though. They have the pony on them though.
Yep - I can just swap the wheels out in the driveway myself, rather than making an appointment to get the tires swapped out, rebalanced, etc. I also assumed (right or wrong) that remounting tires multiple times isn't good for them either. And it's fun to give the car a totally different look too - my snow tire wheels are black, while my summer ones are nice bright aluminum.
Old 4/22/12, 10:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was just about to ask this question... was worried about how it would handle the snow too. Drove it today for the first time in the rain, and it wasn't too bad. I think most of my fear was from everyone's hype that I needed to be careful in rain/snow.

Still don't know how comfortable I am at the thought that skidding is just going to be a normal part of driving it in the winter...
Old 4/22/12, 10:55 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Petunia
I was just about to ask this question... was worried about how it would handle the snow too. Drove it today for the first time in the rain, and it wasn't too bad. I think most of my fear was from everyone's hype that I needed to be careful in rain/snow.

Still don't know how comfortable I am at the thought that skidding is just going to be a normal part of driving it in the winter...
Why would you be skidding? Maybe a fish tail if youre too heavy on the throttle in a RWD but the brakes are standard. My Mustang drives better in snow than many FWDs.
Old 4/22/12, 11:13 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have no problem driving in the winter.
Old 4/22/12, 11:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by wheelman
Why would you be skidding? Maybe a fish tail if youre too heavy on the throttle in a RWD but the brakes are standard. My Mustang drives better in snow than many FWDs.
Originally Posted by McNassty
Besides a 4x4 I wouldn't drive a front wheel drive in the snow but I learned to drive in rwd cars. I find it easier to control the skids and if you have good tires you shouldn't have trouble even though most would think it sacriligeous to drive Mustangs in the winter. But I have my car under sprayed and make sure to ride far enough back from the car in front of me that way I don't get the brine spray on my car
... just referencing what was being said in the thread ...
Old 4/23/12, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The idea that rear wheel drive cars are a nightmare in the winter is a myth that has risen from a generation of folks who have grown up on FWD cars. Safe winter driving is all about traction and skill. Good winter tires and sand bags will take take of the traction. Experience and getting to know your car will handle the skill.

Drive the Stang' out onto a lake and play around on the ice to understand how it handles in low traction situations (if it gets cold enough in WV for that).
Old 4/23/12, 07:14 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RyleyinSTL
The idea that rear wheel drive cars are a nightmare in the winter is a myth that has risen from a generation of folks who have grown up on FWD cars. Safe winter driving is all about traction and skill. Good winter tires and sand bags will take take of the traction. Experience and getting to know your car will handle the skill.

Drive the Stang' out onto a lake and play around on the ice to understand how it handles in low traction situations (if it gets cold enough in WV for that).
I learned on RWD (in St. Louis btw) - on empty snowy & icy parking lots having fun fishtailing - and have hundreds of thousands of miles in all kinds of winter across 5000' passes in every direction.

Good traction tires w/some weight in the trunk, keep some momentum, learn to steer out of any fishtail, leave plenty plenty plenty of room for braking, tap the brakes nice and easy on and off and come to a slow stop (don't depend on your ABS or you're going too fast).

Last edited by cdynaco; 4/23/12 at 07:17 AM.
Old 4/23/12, 08:52 AM
Cobra R Member

also... but don't drive your car onto a frozen lake
unless you also wanna practice being a u-boat captain
Old 4/23/12, 11:19 AM
Cobra Member

I throw 4 bags of pellet stove pellets in the trunk and got snow tires. Works just as good as my FWD car.
Old 4/23/12, 01:34 PM
Cobra Member

I drove my '12 GT this past winter on winter tires without any issues.

Due to a new job, and a farther commute, I will be buying a daily driver and park the mustang except for weekends, which means it will be parked for winter.

I am selling my COMPLETE winter wheel and tire set up, with less than 5k on them.
https://themustangsource.com/f722/20...s-tpms-507404/

PM me if interested.
Old 4/23/12, 02:57 PM
V6 Member

Sounds like a lot of fun, but I don't think it gets cold enough in WV to drive on a lake.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 4/23/12, 02:59 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
I learned on RWD (in St. Louis btw) - on empty snowy & icy parking lots having fun fishtailing - and have hundreds of thousands of miles in all kinds of winter across 5000' passes in every direction.

Good traction tires w/some weight in the trunk, keep some momentum, learn to steer out of any fishtail, leave plenty plenty plenty of room for braking, tap the brakes nice and easy on and off and come to a slow stop (don't depend on your ABS or you're going too fast).
Almost everyone says to put some weight in the trunk. How much weight though? 50 lbs? 100 lbs?
Old 4/23/12, 03:04 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Almost everyone says to put some weight in the trunk. How much weight though? 50 lbs? 100 lbs?
About 5'7" 160lbs.
Old 4/23/12, 03:07 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by LEwis26
I drove my '12 GT this past winter on winter tires without any issues.

Due to a new job, and a farther commute, I will be buying a daily driver and park the mustang except for weekends, which means it will be parked for winter.

I am selling my COMPLETE winter wheel and tire set up, with less than 5k on them.
https://themustangsource.com/f722/20...s-tpms-507404/

PM me if interested.
I will remember this when I buy the tires.
Old 4/23/12, 03:09 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ethanjbeau
I throw 4 bags of pellet stove pellets in the trunk and got snow tires. Works just as good as my FWD car.
Prob closer to 100#. Out here some people use sand tubes - that way if they're stuck on a bit of ice you can spread some sand under the tires. Other's say cat litter is good too.

4 bags of pellets = 160#.

Throw a shovel in. That way you can bury the dead body Al referred to.

Last edited by cdynaco; 4/23/12 at 03:10 PM.
Old 4/23/12, 03:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Frigging snow and their salting roads again.
Shoveling awning that was put up to early, I warned them to wait.

Name:  ForumRunner_20120423_171653.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  21.1 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20120423_171719.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  20.7 KB

Last edited by UnrealFord; 4/24/12 at 07:41 PM.
Old 4/23/12, 06:53 PM
Bullitt Member

I would always drive with 2-3 bags of salt
Old 4/23/12, 07:06 PM

I usually went with 2 tubes of sand, just the regular ones they would sell at the gas station when winter was in full swing. In total it was around 100lbs. If you want to DIY I'd get a few small burlap or nylon bags, line with a garbage bag and fill with sand and tie it off.

Lucky for me I now live in St. Louis and no longer need to worry about such things....winter doesn't really happen here with much gusto.

Last edited by RyleyinSTL; 4/23/12 at 07:08 PM.
Old 4/23/12, 08:06 PM
GT Member

I know this year in MN wasn't a good test, but I just used snow tires on the stang. I went for the cheapest wheel and tire combo at tirerack. It worked out well except the TPMS sensors getting mad. I really don't think you need the added weight. I did drive a prius in a blizzard so I might be a little off or uber manly.

Quick Reply: Winter wheel/tire discussion