Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Winter wheel/tire discussion

Search this Thread

Old 3/6/12, 01:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by tmwag
Thanks, my last car was a 08 speed3 interestingly enough. I slid around one winter with the stock potenzas and decided never again. On the Stang it looks like I'll have to go with 18's and winter tires. Can't find 255/40-19 winter tires.
Welcome to the forum! You'll find a lot of good discussion on this using the Search function, but I'll tell you I also live in KCMO and bought myself Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 snow tires this year, mounted on some Ford Racing rims from the Tire Rack (www.tirerack.com). Their prices were great and better than I could get anywhere in town, so went with them.

You'll be thankful you have them, most winters, though I only needed mine once all winter this year!
Old 3/6/12, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, yea we skipped winter this year in KC. Now watch we'll get dumped on..lol
Old 3/6/12, 02:10 PM
Cobra Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Michelin x ice tires

mounted on these rims

Last edited by xtc.inc; 3/6/12 at 02:12 PM.
Old 3/6/12, 04:31 PM
Cobra R Member

I ran 17" Elbrus I06's with Michelin Xice Xi2's. Tires were awesome!! I put about 5k on them through 2 winters, snow, slush, ice, dry, driving in a solid 4-6 inches. Handled and performed really well. Around these boards blizzaks and Xi2's are the typical tire.

Shameless plug- I'm currently looking to unload mine... PM me if your interested in details...

Old 3/6/12, 07:04 PM
GT Member

My wife has factory 235 18s on her 2010 V6 Mustang. I consulted with the dealership for recommended sizes for snow tires. Ended up with 215 60 17s, General Altimax Arctic snows. Consumer reports were quite good on this tire. They are quiet and provide the necessary grip. 225s would look better, but 215s track better through deeper snow.
Old 3/6/12, 07:43 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just added a set of 18" SVT wheels with Blizzak LM-60s on the car and it has been fantastic in the winter so far in the snows I've had.
Attached Thumbnails Winter wheel/tire discussion-winter-tires-wheels.jpg   Winter wheel/tire discussion-winter-tire-detail.jpg  
Old 4/3/12, 09:56 PM
V6 Member

Driving in Winter

I have never owned a rear wheel car and I'm not sure how to prepare for Winter if I have a Mustang.

I know they aren't good but are they really as bad as people say. I have a car I could keep but I would like to sell it after my Mustang arrives. My wife has an AWD and I could let her drive the Stang, on de-iced city roads, on while I take hers down the backroads of WV.
What could I do to make the Mustang doable in the Winter if anything? The road I travel does get particularly icy.

I know it's only Spring now but I'd like to sell the other car as soon as possible.
Old 4/3/12, 10:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Besides a 4x4 I wouldn't drive a front wheel drive in the snow but I learned to drive in rwd cars. I find it easier to control the skids and if you have good tires you shouldn't have trouble even though most would think it sacriligeous to drive Mustangs in the winter. But I have my car under sprayed and make sure to ride far enough back from the car in front of me that way I don't get the brine spray on my car
Old 4/3/12, 10:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Oh and why are you worried about winter? Summer is almost here, you've got like another six to nine months to worry about that. Just enjoy your car and take the time to learn RWD
Old 4/3/12, 10:19 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by McNassty
Oh and why are you worried about winter? Summer is almost here, you've got like another six to nine months to worry about that. Just enjoy your car and take the time to learn RWD
Like I said, I would like to sell my current car as soon as possible. If driving the Mustang in the winter is completely nuts then I would just keep it.
Old 4/3/12, 10:23 PM
Bullitt Member

I've have a Cobra and as long as I don't try and push it I have driven it every winter I have owned it but like I said learn to drive RWD
Old 4/3/12, 10:26 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most important thing is a good set of winter tires. Youre probably getting summer tires from the factory, which will suck in the rain and more so in snow. Check out tirerack.com for reviews and other info. There's a few good ones for 05+ Mustangs.

As far as performance in the snow, they aren't terrible. Just ease out the clutch from stops, go slow on the corners and you'll be good. I've never had a problem other than the occassional wheel skip but then the rear plants right back in line. Love that! For icy conditions, stay home.

And then when you've got a good feel for her, drift that biotch...lol.
Old 4/3/12, 10:30 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by wheelman
Most important thing is a good set of winter tires. Youre probably getting summer tires from the factory, which will suck in the rain and more so in snow. Check out tirerack.com for reviews and other info. There's a few good ones for 05+ Mustangs.

As far as performance in the snow, they aren't terrible. Just ease out the clutch from stops, go slow on the corners and you'll be good. I've never had a problem other than the occassional wheel skip but then the rear plants right back in line. Love that! For icy conditions, stay home.

Thanks. I'll check out that website.

I'll have an auto transmission so I guess instead of easing out on the clutch I'll just let go of the brake and pick up some speed.
Old 4/3/12, 10:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cweese
Thanks. I'll check out that website.

I'll have an auto transmission so I guess instead of easing out on the clutch I'll just let go of the brake and pick up some speed.
Oh, sorry, missed that. Even easier. The 13s have that hill assist thing now.
Old 4/3/12, 10:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by wheelman

+1 and +1000000 for drift that biotch, I'm so used to getting sideways it's second nature
Old 4/4/12, 12:36 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Learn to drive the car this summer. Get used to what it does when you give it some gas. Drive it in the rain, get a feel for what the tires do, how the car reacts. At a stop sign in the rain, turn right and push it until you feel the back slip. Don't fish-tail it, just learn the limits of the car. Once you get an idea, you'll be fine driving in the winter. Save some money and get yourself a set of winter wheels/tires. Blizzaks seem to be a favorite of members here that have to have winter tires. If the roads are iced over, stay home like wheelman said.

Lastly, remember: it's a mustang. Enjoy it. I learned on RWD cars and drove a mazdaspeed3 for 15 months before getting my Jeep. I hated the FWD, much more comfortable in RWD. You'll get used to it. Best thing about it is you can floor it and the **** wheel won't jerk itself out of your hands.
Old 4/4/12, 07:56 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
Learn to drive the car this summer. Get used to what it does when you give it some gas. Drive it in the rain, get a feel for what the tires do, how the car reacts. At a stop sign in the rain, turn right and push it until you feel the back slip. Don't fish-tail it, just learn the limits of the car. Once you get an idea, you'll be fine driving in the winter. Save some money and get yourself a set of winter wheels/tires. Blizzaks seem to be a favorite of members here that have to have winter tires. If the roads are iced over, stay home like wheelman said.

Lastly, remember: it's a mustang. Enjoy it. I learned on RWD cars and drove a mazdaspeed3 for 15 months before getting my Jeep. I hated the FWD, much more comfortable in RWD. You'll get used to it. Best thing about it is you can floor it and the **** wheel won't jerk itself out of your hands.
Thanks. I read some really good reviews for Blizzaks.
Old 4/4/12, 08:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
As others have said, winter tires are a must. I bought my Mustang last September and immediately ordered a set through the Tire Rack too. The wheels + Blizzak tires cost me about $1,700 shipped, which is pretty reasonable considering the benefits: you will be able to drive safely in just about any condition (unless the snow is so deep your car starts plowing snow) and your summer tires will last longer (since they're not being driven for 3 months or so).

Yeah, you might be able to get by on all-season tires like some guys do, but then you have to drive around avoiding inclines, worrying about accumulation of snow, etc. Buy the winter tires and you'll be much more confident in winter driving - my car handled and braked really well in the snow, and acceleration was fine too, as long as you play gentle with the throttle. Short of snow chains, 400+ HP is going to spin any tire

Also, get a good set of winter floormats. I like Husky Liners for their really deep lip that keeps moisture off the carpets, but lots of guys like WeatherTech too. They're both American-made and cost in the $100 range. I got all four mats, plus the trunk liner, for $150 or so on Ebay.
Old 4/4/12, 07:08 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
As others have said, winter tires are a must. I bought my Mustang last September and immediately ordered a set through the Tire Rack too. The wheels + Blizzak tires cost me about $1,700 shipped, which is pretty reasonable considering the benefits: you will be able to drive safely in just about any condition (unless the snow is so deep your car starts plowing snow) and your summer tires will last longer (since they're not being driven for 3 months or so).

Yeah, you might be able to get by on all-season tires like some guys do, but then you have to drive around avoiding inclines, worrying about accumulation of snow, etc. Buy the winter tires and you'll be much more confident in winter driving - my car handled and braked really well in the snow, and acceleration was fine too, as long as you play gentle with the throttle. Short of snow chains, 400+ HP is going to spin any tire

Also, get a good set of winter floormats. I like Husky Liners for their really deep lip that keeps moisture off the carpets, but lots of guys like WeatherTech too. They're both American-made and cost in the $100 range. I got all four mats, plus the trunk liner, for $150 or so on Ebay.
Thanks. Why did you guy a new set of wheels as well? Just for easy of changing?

I ordered the all weather floor mats when I placed the order for the Mustang. I'm not sure how good they are though. They have the pony on them though.
Old 4/4/12, 07:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Taking my car out of storage this week-end, and then i see this thread.

Quick Reply: Winter wheel/tire discussion