Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Winter wheel/tire discussion

Search this Thread

Old 1/28/11, 09:42 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I will pick up a couple of prefilled sand bags. One for each side of the trunk. We haven't had much snow this year, but I am sure it is coming.
Old 9/12/11, 09:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Bringing this thread back from the dead...

I've got a 2011 GT with the stock 18" wheels on it and am shopping for a snow tire/wheel package. I'm wondering if it'd be smart (saving money versus 18") to get 17" wheels/tires since this is purely for getting through bad weather without issue and not for any other purpose. I'm not sure if the rotors are bigger on the GT than V6 model, but otherwise, I don't know why the 17" wheel size from the V6 model wouldn't fit my GT.

Advice welcome - thanks guys!
Old 9/12/11, 07:45 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
Bringing this thread back from the dead...

I've got a 2011 GT with the stock 18" wheels on it and am shopping for a snow tire/wheel package. I'm wondering if it'd be smart (saving money versus 18") to get 17" wheels/tires since this is purely for getting through bad weather without issue and not for any other purpose. I'm not sure if the rotors are bigger on the GT than V6 model, but otherwise, I don't know why the 17" wheel size from the V6 model wouldn't fit my GT.

Advice welcome - thanks guys!

Go to Tire Rack.Com and plug in your car information. They will recommend a tire(s) for the car you put in. You can then check out customer reviews of each tire as well as cost compare them, and then make a decision. I used them for my winter Blizzaks.
Old 9/12/11, 08:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
Go to Tire Rack.Com and plug in your car information. They will recommend a tire(s) for the car you put in. You can then check out customer reviews of each tire as well as cost compare them, and then make a decision. I used them for my winter Blizzaks.
I've done that but they don't have the 17" recommended for the GT since they all come with 18" or bigger - just wondered if anyone thought going down an inch for winter tires and saving a few dollars was a good idea or not.
Old 2/4/12, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the market for the 2013 Mustang how do the car drive in the snow?

Hi

i'm in the market for a 2013 mustang and it would be my daily driver. I live in Michigan and I was wondering how the vehicle drives in the snow?
Old 2/4/12, 11:06 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know that old Paul Simon song, "Slip Slidin' Away" ???
Old 2/4/12, 11:37 PM
Cobra R Member

compared to a fox-body it's like a jeep
Old 2/4/12, 11:40 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the amount of snow

Old 2/4/12, 11:51 PM
Cobra R Member

Norther VT, stock Pirelli PZero's, going up to the cabin my brother in-law's fwd honda couldn't make it up the hill, fortunately he was behind us cause he slid back down and crashed into the guardrail.. and my 4L didn't even have trac ctrl
Attached Thumbnails Winter wheel/tire discussion-dsc01757.jpg   Winter wheel/tire discussion-dsc01811.jpg  

Last edited by cinque35; 2/5/12 at 12:30 AM.
Old 2/5/12, 03:13 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
heres an example how it drives

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fw6YcsWGj4
Old 2/5/12, 03:17 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by av9022
Hi

i'm in the market for a 2013 mustang and it would be my daily driver. I live in Michigan and I was wondering how the vehicle drives in the snow?
It drives just fine in the snow with a good set of winter tires and and a driver that's not trying for pole position. I drive mine in the snow with no problems.
Old 2/5/12, 07:45 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by TOGAN
heres an example how it drives

Snow Causing Trouble on Street Road - YouTube
^ here's an example of someone who doesn't know how to drive... it's probably a girl

every Mustang i've had was a DD. i went to school and lived upstate for 7 yrs with my '93 GT and never got stuck once, no snow tires either, goodyear eagle hp's. typically the cars being pulled out of ditched were 4WD & a surprising amount of Mercedes. if you live in MI then you know how to drive in the snow and you're fine

Last edited by cinque35; 2/5/12 at 09:00 AM.
Old 2/5/12, 08:04 AM
GTR Member

You're really going to want a set of winter tires to make things easier. What part of MI are you from?
Old 2/5/12, 08:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Absolutely can be done, just have to know how to drive. Get some snow tires if you can; be prepared to drive the speed for the condition not necessarily the speed you want to go.

If you have a lot of travel on snow (as opposed to occasional) the car may not be for you as consideration for the weather must be made, more so than an AWD/4WD option.
Old 2/5/12, 08:29 AM
GT Member

It's been a long time since I drove a Mustang in the snow. My 1988 was horrendous in the snow, only outdone by my 1992. Both were pitiful in the tiniest snowfall. It's bad when you get passed by little old ladies in Camrys. I never got stuck but will never, ever drive a Mustang in snow again. No reason to expect my 2012 would be any better but I'll never know because I'll never try it.
Old 2/5/12, 08:33 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
You're really going to want a set of winter tires to make things easier. What part of MI are you from?
This too, snow tires are incredible
Old 2/5/12, 08:42 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Ok, having lived in Texas, Florida, Louisiana and California my entire life (outside of my deployment during which I didn't drive anything), the idea of having anything but one set of tires is completely foreign to me. Do you have the tires changed on the same rims, or do you just have two sets of rims that you interchange depending on the season...?
Old 2/5/12, 08:49 AM
GT Member

Winter tires make a huge difference! I sent my boss the below video when he got his Mustang a year and a half ago and it was enough to convince him. Last winter he said he only lost traction a handful of times (pure ice, only so much you can do), but in snow - no problems. And last winter we had a LOT of snow in the Detroit area. This winter snow hasn't stuck for more than a couple days

Last edited by SkyyPunk; 2/5/12 at 09:35 AM.
Old 2/5/12, 12:01 PM
V6 Member

I think a set of proper winter tires is an absolute necessity if you drive your car in the winter, especially if you don't want to get stuck or hurt anyone. I have a set of bridgestone blizzaks on my mustang now. they are widely believed to be the best winter tires available for the mustang, my ones were even specially imported from the US to switzerland. winter tires don't just handle much better in the snow, it's also about temperature. summer tires are just not made to operate in cold climate.

@kcoTiger: yes, many people do have 2 sets of rims, one for winter tires and one for summer. I have mounted my winter tires on my stock brembo wheels now and when summer comes, I will have my summer tires on a new pair of rims.
Old 2/5/12, 12:45 PM
Cobra Member

Funny stuff here.......grew up with nothing but rear wheel drive or 4 wheel drive for the rich. Was no front wheel drive then...... Everyone had two sets of rear tires, and those with money had two sets of rear rims. Drove every day in the snow to school, work, and anywhere else we needed to go. Type of car made no difference. All the snow did was change the driving time and cause one to be more careful. This was in northwest Iowa from in the 50's and 60's and central Kansas in the 70's.

Quick Reply: Winter wheel/tire discussion