Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Winter wheel/tire discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11/11/13, 12:44 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by linelock

I run the same size Nokians on 2010 gt500 convertible wheels. They are pretty great in winter. I think the only place skinnier tires come into play is cutting through deep snow. I know I prefer a larger contact patch on cold pavement, ice and packed snow.
I'm also on 2010 GT500 convertible wheels. My only regret is not getting the TPMS for them. I hate the idiot light being on constantly.
Old 11/11/13, 01:04 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost
I'm also on 2010 GT500 convertible wheels. My only regret is not getting the TPMS for them. I hate the idiot light being on constantly.
Heh, I got the sensors for that reason. It's nice that you don't have to program them every year. Although this year it took a few drive cycles for the light to go out. I thought I was going to have to take it in to get them reprogrammed.

I also really like these wheels. Much nicer then the typical black steel. It gives the car 2 distinct looks for the year
Old 11/12/13, 02:55 PM
GT Member

Went with the Blizzaks LM-32's and had them installed yesterday. You guys were right, the ride on these is so much better than the WS model. I feel like i'm ready for winter now.
Old 11/13/13, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by XEDES
Went with the Blizzaks LM-32's and had them installed yesterday. You guys were right, the ride on these is so much better than the WS model. I feel like i'm ready for winter now.
Old 12/8/13, 06:27 PM
GT Member

TPMS question:

I bought Xice i3's from TR and had them mounted on Roush take-off's by a local installer a month or so back. Since it appears that real winter is here early in NE Ohio, I swapped out the stock all seasons for the winter setup today. The Michelins are much quieter than I expected at highway speeds, so that's a pleasant surprise.

One unexpected oddity is that I didn't get any TPMS error or alert after swapping the wheels/sensors that came with the car with the wheels/sensors from Roush.

Is it possible that the car learned the new sensors by itself?

Is it possible that my TPMS system is hosed?

Is there a way to test it without flattening a tire?

I ordered a reset tool and it is due for delivery this week. If I'm not going to need it, I can spend the money elsewhere on the car.
Old 12/8/13, 07:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 545 Likes on 425 Posts
Originally Posted by PonyOx
TPMS question:

I bought Xice i3's from TR and had them mounted on Roush take-off's by a local installer a month or so back. Since it appears that real winter is here early in NE Ohio, I swapped out the stock all seasons for the winter setup today. The Michelins are much quieter than I expected at highway speeds, so that's a pleasant surprise.

One unexpected oddity is that I didn't get any TPMS error or alert after swapping the wheels/sensors that came with the car with the wheels/sensors from Roush.

I ordered a reset tool and it is due for delivery this week. If I'm not going to need it, I can spend the money elsewhere on the car.
The car learns the sensors simply by driving. My Mustang and my Focus both do it.
Old 12/8/13, 08:40 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Gabe
The car learns the sensors simply by driving. My Mustang and my Focus both do it.

Thanks for the quick answer. I could have sworn that I read elsewhere on TMS that the reset tool was needed in my situation.

I guess it's going to get shipped back
Old 12/8/13, 08:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I just had the Mustang out in some snow with the Cooper Xeon RS3-A tires I put on ~1400mi ago.

Drove in a mix of ice and 2-5" of snow. The tires did really well for all-seasons, never felt like I couldn't get traction or couldn't stop as long as I drove reasonably. I was even messing around in an unplowed lot with about 5" of snow, never felt like I was going to get stuck. There were a couple slight hills, but nothing real steep. With TC on it was no problem. Now obviously if you turn off the TC you can easily overpower the tires, I may have done this a lot in that empty parking lot

For someone who doesn't want dedicated summer/winter tires I think they're a great choice. 3-season performance is almost as good as the summer Pirellis, and they'll get you through light to moderate snow.
Old 12/9/13, 03:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 555 Likes on 361 Posts
TPMS question:

OEM sensors so they are the same and, second season with my Roush take offs and still have not had to reprogram and never had the light come on.
Old 12/9/13, 05:35 AM

I too had bought the tool a few years back. I did use it. This year I didn't use the tool (as a test), and I have not gotten the light yet. Not sure if it is because I already told the system about them and the system can hold more than 4 sensors, or if it is just not needed.
Old 12/10/13, 06:41 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mfc133
I just had the Mustang out in some snow with the Cooper Xeon RS3-A tires I put on ~1400mi ago.

Drove in a mix of ice and 2-5" of snow. The tires did really well for all-seasons, never felt like I couldn't get traction or couldn't stop as long as I drove reasonably. I was even messing around in an unplowed lot with about 5" of snow, never felt like I was going to get stuck. There were a couple slight hills, but nothing real steep. With TC on it was no problem. Now obviously if you turn off the TC you can easily overpower the tires, I may have done this a lot in that empty parking lot

For someone who doesn't want dedicated summer/winter tires I think they're a great choice. 3-season performance is almost as good as the summer Pirellis, and they'll get you through light to moderate snow.
Nice, I recently bought the same tires with the same idea. I took them out on an early morning run the other day, not realizing that that it was black icing everywhere and they performed great. It just snowed 4-5" here today so I took the wife's car to work, but I feel confident venturing back out tomorrow.
Old 12/12/13, 05:01 AM
GT Member

The Michelin's passed their first test yesterday. We got a few inches of snow late in the day and the evening commute was a bit of a mess. After a white knuckle drive on similar conditions with the stock BFG AS tires a few weeks back, the X-ice handled confidently on packed snow, loose snow and slush. Lane changes on the highway with slush and snow channels between were an afterthought.
Old 12/12/13, 08:16 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Michelin's passed their first test yesterday. We got a few inches of snow late in the day and the evening commute was a bit of a mess. After a white knuckle drive on similar conditions with the stock BFG AS tires a few weeks back, the X-ice handled confidently on packed snow, loose snow and slush. Lane changes on the highway with slush and snow channels between were an afterthought.
I enjoy the look people give you as you go past them in their 4WD SUVs and trucks. It's like they saw a ghost.
Old 12/13/13, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Overboost
I enjoy the look people give you as you go past them in their 4WD SUVs and trucks. It's like they saw a ghost.
+1..
Old 12/13/13, 06:39 AM
GT Member

I forgot to add that there's also 120 pounds of tube sand in the trunk, so the added traction isn't all about the new rubber.

Regardless, so far so good with the choice. Thanks again for the guidance.