Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Winter is Coming

Search this Thread

Old 9/20/15, 06:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Winter is Coming

I'm going to be driving my mustang through winter and was wondering how you guys prepare your stangs for winter driving? We should be getting our first snow here in about month. I just installed heated seat elements, bought some Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2(snow tires), and ordered a viper remote start. Anything else I might need?

Are these cars decent in the snow? How about hills?
Old 9/20/15, 06:57 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
With snow tires you'll be fine. I prefer to drive in sport mode as it allows for a bit of wheel spin, which is necessary to get the full benefit of snow tires.
Old 9/20/15, 07:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by dave07
I'm going to be driving my mustang through winter and was wondering how you guys prepare your stangs for winter driving? We should be getting our first snow here in about month. I just installed heated seat elements, bought some Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2(snow tires), and ordered a viper remote start. Anything else I might need?

Are these cars decent in the snow? How about hills?
I plan to add a little weight to the trunk and I will be using manual mode and I will start in 2nd or 3rd from a stop.
Old 9/20/15, 08:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Winter is Coming

I'll keep sport mode in mind. Any issues with hills, what kind of tires are you running?
Old 9/20/15, 09:06 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i threw in 5 40kilo bags of salt in the trunk area and thew on some snow tires on 17" base wheels.

Performance pack allows for some tire spin. I don't bother with sport mode or anything else during the winter season. I keep all the nannies on and still fish around and have some fun if needed.

Limited slip really does help for this car.
Old 9/20/15, 09:38 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by dave07
I'll keep sport mode in mind. Any issues with hills, what kind of tires are you running?
No, assuming you drive it correctly. Can't floor it from a stop half way up the hill.

I have Hakka R2s.
Old 9/21/15, 07:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have been through 2 East Coast winters with my mustang and it was fine. Just take it slow and watch the throttle. I was on the Perelli all seasons and got them again. The worst thing about winter in my opinion is salt. You should regularly clean the undercarriage if your state salts their roads.
Old 9/21/15, 09:54 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I change from shorts to pants.
Old 9/21/15, 10:07 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Originally Posted by K.A.I.N
I change from shorts to pants.

Same here, and on the coldest mornings, I have to drive to work with the top up.
Old 9/21/15, 01:22 PM
GT Member

Michelin X-Ice Xi3's - No problems!

Just bought a set for my GT Vert

Last edited by ustabawannab; 9/21/15 at 01:23 PM.
Old 9/21/15, 04:22 PM

Pilot Sport Aplin PA2's, plenty of time to warm up (i am a firm believer that the 5.0 needs to warm up before driving, even in the summer), and lots of car washes with undercarriage sprayers... but let's not forget the only reason you dont spin the tires is the traction control. One night i turned it off to do donuts and forgot to turn it back on before i pulled out of the parking lot onto a road with a slight incline (say 5%) and i just sat and spun. Turning it back on while you are spinning doesnt work, you need to roll backwards, stop and then turn it on. When it's on, the car is money, and you don't need any weight in the back. I live in Michigan and the only problem I have run into is clearance, if there is a few inches of snow your front end turns into a snow plow. Last year i drove through a huge storm on my way to Florida, during which i passed this SUV...
Old 9/21/15, 04:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Winter is Coming

Originally Posted by ustabawannab

Nice! I'm actually excited to drive it around in the winter. People keep telling me not to. It will be nice to prove them wrong.
Old 9/21/15, 04:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yup...

Last edited by Last1; 9/21/15 at 04:54 PM.
Old 9/21/15, 07:31 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by jwpraxis
Pilot Sport Aplin PA2's, plenty of time to warm up (i am a firm believer that the 5.0 needs to warm up before driving, even in the summer), and lots of car washes with undercarriage sprayers... but let's not forget the only reason you dont spin the tires is the traction control. One night i turned it off to do donuts and forgot to turn it back on before i pulled out of the parking lot onto a road with a slight incline (say 5%) and i just sat and spun. Turning it back on while you are spinning doesnt work, you need to roll backwards, stop and then turn it on. When it's on, the car is money, and you don't need any weight in the back. I live in Michigan and the only problem I have run into is clearance, if there is a few inches of snow your front end turns into a snow plow. Last year i drove through a huge storm on my way to Florida, during which i passed this SUV...
Man, ain't that something. I would constantly turn the traction control all the way off. If I had it on, the way traction control kicks on I would never be able to get started or continue going once it started. I would turn it off, slowly let out the clutch and a little gas and the tires would dig in and start creeping on up a hill. Going around turns is fun if you don't know what your doing though (even if you do), I will say that much.
Old 9/21/15, 07:40 PM
Cobra R Member

I can't stand driving in snow with traction control on. Sport seems to be OK (still not great) as at least a small amount of wheel spin is allowed. Snow tires still offer good grip even when slipping a bit, hence my desire to not have the throttle cut at the mere thought of wheel spin. As far as spinning out or anything, if you have good snow tires, and you're not heavy on the throttle it won't happen. Yes, you might get the tail end a little loose here and there, but nothing major.

Pics of my winter setup:

Name:  AaLUTfG.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  1.05 MB
Old 9/22/15, 01:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ustabawannab

I have the same winter tires. Michelin X-Ice Xi3's. I also went from 18" on the summers to 17" on the winters.

Drive "normal" mode instead of "bat out of hell" mode, and with the winter tires, you'll drive straighter than some of the crazy "the laws of physics don't apply to me" SUV nutjobs out there.
Old 9/22/15, 04:22 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
This is all that you need to get... or an equivalent. It's called a winter beater. Probably close to the $$$ you'd pay to get winter prep material (tires, wheels, etc.) for your mustang.

Old 9/22/15, 04:42 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
This is all that you need to get... or an equivalent. It's called a winter beater. Probably close to the $$$ you'd pay to get winter prep material (tires, wheels, etc.) for your mustang.

Don't forget the roughly $80-100/month it'd cost to insure in Michigan (even for state minimum liability only coverage).
Old 9/22/15, 05:33 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
I buy 'em to drive 'em. Not to take up space in a garage.
Old 9/22/15, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by ford20
Man, ain't that something. I would constantly turn the traction control all the way off. If I had it on, the way traction control kicks on I would never be able to get started or continue going once it started. I would turn it off, slowly let out the clutch and a little gas and the tires would dig in and start creeping on up a hill. Going around turns is fun if you don't know what your doing though (even if you do), I will say that much.
That's interesting. The only time have ever felt the TC kick in was on dry pavement under heavy acceleration. In the snow the car just seems to grip in the snow with it turned on, but I get out of 1st pretty quick and the the rpms are always south of 3k in the snow. I will do some trialing once the snow starts, it would be great to not have to use the e-brake to whip around corners.

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
I can't stand driving in snow with traction control on. Sport seems to be OK (still not great) as at least a small amount of wheel spin is allowed. Snow tires still offer good grip even when slipping a bit, hence my desire to not have the throttle cut at the mere thought of wheel spin. As far as spinning out or anything, if you have good snow tires, and you're not heavy on the throttle it won't happen. Yes, you might get the tail end a little loose here and there, but nothing major.

Pics of my winter setup:

Sport? The only place i have seen Sport is in what i thought was the steering options... I am talking about the button by the shifter. You know, where some idiot put the trunk button without programming it to cancel after the car starts moving.

Quick Reply: Winter is Coming