Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Lowering + Comfort without busting the wallet

Search this Thread

Old 3/27/14, 09:02 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by R33F
I will likely go with the Konis and a set of springs (not sure which ones yet). But what do I really gain with the Koni's? If I just buy and install the springs only, would the ride be rough?
Will get more bounce with stock shocks. If all you want is the look then yes you can just put the springs on there.
Old 3/27/14, 09:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Nope. Don't know exactly why everyone decides to replace shocks and struts when they lower their cars. Koni makes a really good performance shock but with a 1.5" drop, your stock shocks and struts will perform fine without bottoming out. Some people just follow the leader without exactly knowing why. I'm running stock shocks and struts with Steeda sport springs and it really rides well even though mine is pretty low. Also you can stiffen your chassis and improve your cornering with other parts instead of adjustable shocks that never get adjusted anyways. Lots of things you read on these forums is passed on advise and info that you may as well ignore.
I'm listening.
Old 3/28/14, 02:09 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Nope. Don't know exactly why everyone decides to replace shocks and struts when they lower their cars. Koni makes a really good performance shock but with a 1.5" drop, your stock shocks and struts will perform fine without bottoming out. Some people just follow the leader without exactly knowing why. I'm running stock shocks and struts with Steeda sport springs and it really rides well even though mine is pretty low. Also you can stiffen your chassis and improve your cornering with other parts instead of adjustable shocks that never get adjusted anyways. Lots of things you read on these forums is passed on advise and info that you may as well ignore.
I recommend changing shocks to anyone that lowers a car. From your post, I'm assuming Mustang shocks are different than other cars. This is my first lowered Mustang. I did lower a 300z, GTI, Jetta, BMW 325is, and an accord on stock shocks. They rode fine but quickly went to poop. In truth, I wanted to buy shocks for all of the cars above but didn't want to wait till I could afford it. I've changed both the springs and shocks ever since. Perhaps we are both assuming our experience is the same as everyone else's. I can only speak to my experience.
Old 3/28/14, 02:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
You own a Terminator, which has nice Bilsteins from the factory. You don't count
Old 3/28/14, 06:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
I also felt my stock shocks and struts were weak at best with a drop which I did run for a while. Changing over to something designed to work with lowering springs made all the difference in the world.
Old 3/28/14, 06:52 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. V
I recommend changing shocks to anyone that lowers a car. From your post, I'm assuming Mustang shocks are different than other cars. This is my first lowered Mustang. I did lower a 300z, GTI, Jetta, BMW 325is, and an accord on stock shocks. They rode fine but quickly went to poop. In truth, I wanted to buy shocks for all of the cars above but didn't want to wait till I could afford it. I've changed both the springs and shocks ever since. Perhaps we are both assuming our experience is the same as everyone else's. I can only speak to my experience.
I'm assuming that the ops car is only a year or two old. If your ride is 4+ years old, you might as well change them but not a requirement. You can always do them later. You can also replace fronts then later rears. Some people just don't have enough $$ to replace springs, shocks, struts, panhard, LCA's, UCA's, CCP's, all to just lower a car. It's just not all necessary.
Change out the springs and possibly the panhard bar. As long as the caster is ok when the alignment is checked, all you need is camber bolts. You just don't need parts you will never have use for unless you just want people to see them. If you will be racing, drag or road, you may want to upgrade as you go. I just hate to see people buy stuff that the will never need.
Old 3/28/14, 07:51 AM
V6 Member

So it sounds like my stock shocks will degrade quicker over time but new ones are not necessarily a must buy right up front... I really appreciate everyone's points of view and I now feel I have a better understanding of what gains the different parts would give me. I'm going to price things out and see how it matches up to 600 bucks... if I can lower it on good springs and shocks for under 600, Ill probably do it... if I'm looking at 700+, Ill probably put springs on for now and then this summer/fall put in new shocks. I would like to get better handling out of it in the long run... but if I cant afford it, Ill just go for the look for the moment.
Old 3/28/14, 07:53 AM
V6 Member

... unless you guys from experience can tell me that my stock shocks wouldn't even last through the summer on the new springs, then I would think that is pointless... if that's the case, then I will just need to save up to do springs and shocks all at once.

Again, thanks for the education everyone!
Old 3/28/14, 08:04 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
... unless you guys from experience can tell me that my stock shocks wouldn't even last through the summer on the new springs, then I would think that is pointless... if that's the case, then I will just need to save up to do springs and shocks all at once. Again, thanks for the education everyone!
Your car is a '14. Your shocks are practically brand new. Just change your springs and get it aligned. If your rear end is off center, change the panhard bar. If you don't have enough camber adjustment, get camber/caster plates or just get some camber bolts installed. Just upgrade as needed. The biggest decision is what springs to go with since you don't want to lose much comfort.
Old 3/28/14, 09:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

... unless you guys from experience can tell me that my stock shocks wouldn't even last through the summer on the new springs, then I would think that is pointless... if that's the case, then I will just need to save up to do springs and shocks all at once. Again, thanks for the education everyone!
Are you installing or paying for install? There are two factors for doing the upgraded shocks and struts at the same time: 1) paying once for labor and alignment; 2) with stock travel shocks and struts + lowering springs, you *will* worsen your ride quality. Unless you have a Boss or Terminator Cobra which both come with stiffer dampers that can be paired with stiffer springs, just springs will throw your ride quality and handling characteristics off. Koni is running a 25% off sale all month, ending this weekend. At least grab a set of the STR orange Konis, which are their entry level damper, but still better than stock when paired with lowering springs.
Old 3/28/14, 09:00 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Then you can sell your almost new GT shocks and struts to some 11-14 guy who chose to keep his car stock and needs replacements...make back a little $&
Old 3/28/14, 07:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
The stock shocks/struts are marginal even with the stock springs. Asking them to do the same job with higher rate springs and less travel will dramatically shorten their lifespan.
"Never underestimate what a quality set of shocks/struts can do for your car".
If you seriously want to do this right the first time save up enough money to get a proper setup. For improved looks, handling and ride you should look into a shock/strut combo that has been shortened to allow more travel with the lower springs. Coil overs are another option but are almost double your original budget, but they do come with pretty much everything. Do a good amount of research before you purchase anything, Good luck.
Old 3/28/14, 08:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Black Fire
The stock shocks/struts are marginal even with the stock springs. Asking them to do the same job with higher rate springs and less travel will dramatically shorten their lifespan. "Never underestimate what a quality set of shocks/struts can do for your car". If you seriously want to do this right the first time save up enough money to get a proper setup. For improved looks, handling and ride you should look into a shock/strut combo that has been shortened to allow more travel with the lower springs. Coil overs are another option but are almost double your original budget, but they do come with pretty much everything. Do a good amount of research before you purchase anything, Good luck.
Old 3/29/14, 12:28 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Black Fire
The stock shocks/struts are marginal even with the stock springs. Asking them to do the same job with higher rate springs and less travel will dramatically shorten their lifespan.
"Never underestimate what a quality set of shocks/struts can do for your car".
If you seriously want to do this right the first time save up enough money to get a proper setup. For improved looks, handling and ride you should look into a shock/strut combo that has been shortened to allow more travel with the lower springs. Coil overs are another option but are almost double your original budget, but they do come with pretty much everything. Do a good amount of research before you purchase anything, Good luck.
Very true statement here. Its not only about the life of your stocks dampers but their ability to support higher rate (lowering) springs.
Old 3/29/14, 08:04 AM
V6 Member

Thanks everyone for the great info! Once I've lowered it (hopefully soon), I'll post some pics here.

Jay@Hypermotive - I believe you to be the same Hypermotive everyone in my mustang club talks about (in a good way, lol). I'm a new member of Sandhills and if that's you, I'll come see you soon about some parts.
Old 3/29/14, 11:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the props.
I went thru the same ordeal with my F-body some years ago and decided to go for an all out approach Spring Sways Shocks etc.... when completed it was awe inspiring as far as handling and composer but left some of the good ride on the table. Firm without being harsh was the coined term at that time and while true it was still a bit much for a 40 something to use as a DD. I vowed not to do the same thing again with the Mustang.
Research is everything IMO and going with a shortened shock/strut from a quality manufacturer seems to be the key to maintaining some resemblance of the good ride.
Another reason behind doing it all at once is if you install springs and shocks separately then your disassembling the fronts twice, The backs are cake but the fronts can be quite a PITA.
Hope this helps.