Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Lowering + Comfort without busting the wallet

Search this Thread

Old 3/26/14, 02:25 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lowering + Comfort without busting the wallet

Hello.. I've been reading through the suspension threads and have pieced together somewhat of an answer but I'm looking for no kidding advice to my specific goal.

Ultimately, I'm looking to lower my 2014 GT... 1.5 inch (I think) would be a good lowered stance that makes my Brembo wheels fill the fenders. The immediate answer seems to be that since I have the Track Package, I can just get some lowering springs... on the other hand, I want the ride to be comfortable... not luxury, but I would prefer it not be a rougher ride than it is now in its current configuration. Can I achieve that with just lowering springs and keeping my Track Package shocks/struts etc??? If not, what upgrades would you recommend without busting my wallet? I would do all the work myself but I would prefer if possible to not exceed 600 bucks. On the flip side, if I am good with just the springs, is 1.5 a good stance? I don't want the fender eating the wheels, just fill them evenly around the edge... and what springs would you recommend.

Anyone's advice is welcome... I realize this is repeated info many times over, I Just needed to lay out my specifics and get you take on it in one spot. Thanks!
Old 3/27/14, 03:55 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Koni STrT and Eibach Pro Kit, Ford K springs Steeda Ultra-Lite. Definitely worth the extra money spent for the upgraded shocks and struts. I went a little lower with the Eibach Sportlines. And even then my ride didn't suffer too much except really bad bumps. I know Hypermotive has a huge sale on the Koni's right now and Jay will take care of you.
Old 3/27/14, 06:53 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by conv_stang
Koni STrT and Eibach Pro Kit, Ford K springs Steeda Ultra-Lite. Definitely worth the extra money spent for the upgraded shocks and struts. I went a little lower with the Eibach Sportlines. And even then my ride didn't suffer too much except really bad bumps. I know Hypermotive has a huge sale on the Koni's right now and Jay will take care of you.
How low did you drop and can you post a pic?
Old 3/27/14, 07:00 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I went with the Eibach Sportlines. When I measured. It dropped right at 2" in the front and a little over 2.5" in the rear. But for mine I needed the adjustable panhard bar for the rear and the caster camber plates.
Attached Thumbnails Lowering + Comfort without busting the wallet-image-2894561539.jpg  
Old 3/27/14, 07:12 AM
V6 Member

That does look good! Im worried though about going that low... speed bumps, pot holes... do you bang the undercarriage often? Also, I did a quick look at the KONIs and saw that the yellows can be adjusted... does that mean I could adjust the height a half inch or so one way or the other off the new lowered spring height? Also, is it the springs or the shocks that will determine how hard or comfortable the ride is? Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it.
Old 3/27/14, 07:15 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by R33F
That does look good! Im worried though about going that low... speed bumps, pot holes... do you bang the undercarriage often? Also, I did a quick look at the KONIs and saw that the yellows can be adjusted... does that mean I could adjust the height a half inch or so one way or the other off the new lowered spring height? Also, is it the springs or the shocks that will determine how hard or comfortable the ride is? Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it.
No sir, they're not height adjustable, they're dampening adjustable.

We have a couple package deals going on right now with Koni STR.T's, Eibach pro kit and GT500 strut mounts. The Eibach pro kit is a subtle enough drop that any reputable alignment shop should be able to get you within spec without the need for cc plates or bolts. You could start off with that, you will most likely need a PHB as well to re adjust your center axle.

Thanks!!
Old 3/27/14, 07:20 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

They aren't too stiff. That's my daily driver. And I drive my two girls around in them and they haven't really noticed any difference. If I go over speed bumps at a good speed I don't hit anything. I do scrap the boss splitter on my driveway a little. But with less of a drop you'd be fine. And jay is right about the Koni Yellows. I have the orange and can't adjust the firmness of the shocks.
Old 3/27/14, 07:44 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Jay@Hypermotive
No sir, they're not height adjustable, they're dampening adjustable.

We have a couple package deals going on right now with Koni STR.T's, Eibach pro kit and GT500 strut mounts. The Eibach pro kit is a subtle enough drop that any reputable alignment shop should be able to get you within spec without the need for cc plates or bolts. You could start off with that, you will most likely need a PHB as well to re adjust your center axle.

Thanks!!
Jay, thanks for the reply! I'll check your site out for the package deal... what is a PHB? Also, when you say a subtle drop, does it at least get rid of the 4x4 wheel gap look?

Originally Posted by conv_stang
They aren't too stiff. That's my daily driver. And I drive my two girls around in them and they haven't really noticed any difference. If I go over speed bumps at a good speed I don't hit anything. I do scrap the boss splitter on my driveway a little. But with less of a drop you'd be fine. And jay is right about the Koni Yellows. I have the orange and can't adjust the firmness of the shocks.
conv_stang, thanks again, you've been helpful!
Old 3/27/14, 08:29 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PHB is panhard bar, it allows you to readjust your axle. When you lower your car your axle will ship one way or another.

It is a subtle drop which is typically best for the comfort you were looking for. Right around 1.2 in the front and 1.5 in the rear.
Old 3/27/14, 09:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
with the sportlines and the pro kit springs you will feel every nook, cranny and pebble on the road. I had the pro's before and did not like the ride at all for the street. They handled really well but I couldn't take the ride with them.
Old 3/27/14, 10:07 AM
V6 Member

Jay - Awesome; thanks again!

Glenn / Jay / conv_stang / Anyone - Is there a spring that will allow the 1 - 1.5 drop but not feel every pebble? I know its all about personal preference but reverting back to my original post... I'm looking to get rid of the gap (4x4 look), filling the wheel well but I don't want it tucked up under more than just slightly and I would like to maintain a ride comfort as good as or better than it is as stock with my Track Package parts. Is this possible or will I feel every little bump if I lower it?

Again, everyone's input has been great so far, I'm just trying to come to the best solution to suit my desired look and feel without breaking the wallet. Maybe the answer is to achieve my wants, Ill HAVE to break the wallet???
Old 3/27/14, 11:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I like the Steeda sport springs I have on the car now. Best of both worlds IMO
Old 3/27/14, 11:42 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
I like the Steeda sport springs I have on the car now. Best of both worlds IMO
What shocks/struts do you have? I have the Sportlines. Only time it's worse than stock are crappy expansion joints or craters in our Va roads lol
Old 3/27/14, 02:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

koni non adjustable I have had other makes and they were not as good or backed as well by the manufacture.
Old 3/27/14, 02:24 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Eibach is what I've used!
Old 3/27/14, 02:27 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
koni non adjustable I have had other makes and they were not as good or backed as well by the manufacture.
Thanks...was just curious. Same ones I have.
Old 3/27/14, 02:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
The Steeda sports are very popular option:

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-m...ings-555-8215/

Lowers the vehicle approx 1 inch front, 1 1/4 inch rear. The S197 Mustang sits high in the rear, these springs will give it a more aggressive look
Maintains good ride quality for daily driving
Big improvement in handling and noticeable reduction in nosedive

We also have our Pro Action shocks which are very good compliment:

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-p...s-555-8405-11/

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 3/27/14, 03:37 PM
V6 Member

I will likely go with the Konis and a set of springs (not sure which ones yet).
But what do I really gain with the Koni's? If I just buy and install the springs only, would the ride be rough?
Old 3/27/14, 03:54 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by R33F
I will likely go with the Konis and a set of springs (not sure which ones yet). But what do I really gain with the Koni's? If I just buy and install the springs only, would the ride be rough?
Nope. Don't know exactly why everyone decides to replace shocks and struts when they lower their cars. Koni makes a really good performance shock but with a 1.5" drop, your stock shocks and struts will perform fine without bottoming out. Some people just follow the leader without exactly knowing why. I'm running stock shocks and struts with Steeda sport springs and it really rides well even though mine is pretty low. Also you can stiffen your chassis and improve your cornering with other parts instead of adjustable shocks that never get adjusted anyways. Lots of things you read on these forums is passed on advise and info that you may as well ignore.
Old 3/27/14, 06:03 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I went with Koni yellows for the adjustability for street/track. With about a 1.3" drop all around and on full soft, the ride is similar to stock, but even on medium it's too bouncy for the street, but they'll be dialed up for performance on track days. I have SR springs, which advertise a 1.5" drop, but doesn't always deliver (as I've learned from others). I should have gone with BMR (1.5"/1.5") but the price was right to finish up my suspension part gathering. Will probably switch them out down the road.

To the OP, you could just buy springs and caster/camber plates for your budget and do shocks/struts later, when they start to go, and you can wait to see if you need the pan hard bar. The only two 1.5"/1.5" lowering springs I found were the SRs and BMRs. You'll probably want UCAs & LCAs after that, though, so plan accordingly.

Quick Reply: Lowering + Comfort without busting the wallet