Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

How long should I wait for my new suspension to "settle in"?

Search this Thread

Old 3/23/16, 05:23 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How long should I wait for my new suspension to "settle in"?

I just upgraded my suspension with Steeda Ultralites, Steeda HD Strut Mounts, Steeda ChroMoly LCA's, Koni STR.T shocks and struts, BMR Panhard bar and LCA relocation brackets. I also swapped stock 255/40/19 tires and wheels for 255/45/18 and 285/40/18 and also got an alignment done.

It's been a couple of days but right from the start I've been hearing a chirping on the front driver's side. Sounds like little birds in the wheel well. It happens almost constantly, over smooth roads, bumps, rough roads, etc. Tried locating the source of the noise and it's almost like it's the spring or thereabouts. Just today I also noticed a sort of light thumping coming from the front passenger's side. My GT is a daily driver so it's really annoying to hear this all the time.

So my question is, should I wait? Or should I have it checked out right away? If I wait, for how long?

Last edited by ZeeGT; 3/23/16 at 05:54 PM.
Old 3/23/16, 05:42 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Id have it checked out now. It shouldn't make odd noises from day one. The way it feels when you drive it and adjusting your settings is something you wait for. Noises are not.
Old 3/23/16, 07:13 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Hello Zeegt,

I have asked our install dept. to take a look at this thread & see if anything jumps out at them - previously, there were some issues with the front lower control arms & the bushings.

Does this thread sound similar to your issue? https://themustangsource.com/forums/...squeak-522954/

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 3/23/16, 08:03 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Hello Zeegt,

I have asked our install dept. to take a look at this thread & see if anything jumps out at them - previously, there were some issues with the front lower control arms & the bushings.

Does this thread sound similar to your issue? https://themustangsource.com/forums/...squeak-522954/

Best Regards,

TJ
TJ, thanks for looking into this. I had read that thread when researching possible causes but I'm pretty sure that's not the cause in my case since the source of the chirp seems to be high up in the wheel well right around the spring and the noise can be reproduced even when the car is cold.

Last edited by ZeeGT; 3/24/16 at 06:31 AM.
Old 3/24/16, 07:26 AM
V6 Member

Hello Zeegt,

Best Regards,

TJ
TJ, I did a little more research and if I push on the driver's side front fender the noise happens on rebound but not on compression and Koni has told other people with this exact same issue that tolerances between the shaft and housing are really tight and that by putting some silicone grease on the strut shaft the noise should go away. I'll be trying that out today to see if it works.

Last edited by ZeeGT; 3/24/16 at 07:33 AM.
Old 3/24/16, 02:26 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Also check if the the upper strut mount is seated properly ... that is what our installers wanted you to check.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 3/24/16, 02:37 PM
V6 Member

Also check if the the upper strut mount is seated properly ... that is what our installers wanted you to check.

Best Regards,

TJ
TJ, took it to another shop today. The installing shop was kind of busy. The new shop said it was the ball joint. I had noticed some mild bumpsteer so I decided to get the balljoints and bumpsteer kit from you guys. Hopefully this fixes it.
Old 3/24/16, 06:13 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by ZeeGT
TJ, took it to another shop today. The installing shop was kind of busy. The new shop said it was the ball joint. I had noticed some mild bumpsteer so I decided to get the balljoints and bumpsteer kit from you guys. Hopefully this fixes it.
Unfortunately, it is one of those things where it is very hard to diagnose without actually seeing the car - please keep us updated & also double check the strut.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 4/2/16, 02:48 PM
V6 Member

Unfortunately, it is one of those things where it is very hard to diagnose without actually seeing the car - please keep us updated & also double check the strut.

Best Regards,

TJ
TJ,

Had the car checked out by the original installer today. One of the mounts wasn't set right. Unfortunately that was not the cause of the noise. It seems the strut is bad and squeaking. Aside from that, I have to say that the springs, strut mounts, LCA's and other parts from Steeda make the ride 1000% better than stock. The car feels crazy glued to the road, and 100% more stable. My occasional wheel hop is gone, as is the swaying when turning, squat when accelerating, and dive when braking. I still have to install the X11 Balljoints and Bumpsteer kit, but I have no doubts the will make the ride even better.

Thanks!
Old 4/2/16, 04:32 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
TJ,

Had the car checked out by the original installer today. One of the mounts wasn't set right. Unfortunately that was not the cause of the noise. It seems the strut is bad and squeaking. Aside from that, I have to say that the springs, strut mounts, LCA's and other parts from Steeda make the ride 1000% better than stock. The car feels crazy glued to the road, and 100% more stable. My occasional wheel hop is gone, as is the swaying when turning, squat when accelerating, and dive when braking. I still have to install the X11 Balljoints and Bumpsteer kit, but I have no doubts the will make the ride even better.

Thanks!
Please post a review of the bump steer kit and ball joints when you are done. Id love to read it. This among many other mods keeps jump on and off of my list.
Old 4/2/16, 08:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

TJ,

Thanks!
Glad to hear it & hopefully ... the squeaking can soon be taken care of!

I will pass along the feedback to our install team as I have been keeping them apprised of your feedback.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 4/3/16, 02:42 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
Please post a review of the bump steer kit and ball joints when you are done. Id love to read it. This among many other mods keeps jump on and off of my list.
Will do.
Old 4/19/16, 11:32 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
Mr. V,

After lowering the car and swapping wheels/tires the steering felt loose and light, it even had a little play when turning the wheel and of course had some bumpsteer. Nothing major, but noticeable over bigger road imperfections or bumps. I guess the looseness could be attributed to going to smaller/lighter wheels.

After the install of the Bumpsteer kit everything is nice and tight again and more importantly no bumpsteer. Steering feels responsive, accurate, and without play. I kind of think that it actually feels tighter than stock. I also had the Ford Racing (M-5490-HWB) Complete Anti-Roll Bar Hardware Kit installed at the same time as the bumpsteer kit and maybe this helped get that tighter than stock feeling but in any case I think the Steeda Bumpsteer kit is a good investment. I still have to get the Balljoints on the car (miscommunication issue with shop) but I'll post here when I do.
Old 4/23/16, 11:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
After lowering the car and swapping wheels/tires the steering felt loose and light, it even had a little play when turning the wheel and of course had some bumpsteer. Nothing major, but noticeable over bigger road imperfections or bumps. I guess the looseness could be attributed to going to smaller/lighter wheels. After the install of the Bumpsteer kit everything is nice and tight again and more importantly no bumpsteer. Steering feels responsive, accurate, and without play. I kind of think that it actually feels tighter than stock.
I did not know such thing as bumpsteer or the 'bumpsteer kit' ever existed until this post. So this is what I needed then.

After the new wheels n tires (car was already lowered) the steering wheel felt loose. I asked around including the performance shops, even posted a thread here but never got the clear answer. Getting the alignment done, along with lowering the tire pressure did helped tightening the feel a bit.

I should look into getting this kit installed soon. Does the kit also feel confident at high speeds or at woot?
Old 4/24/16, 03:50 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by PonyMuscletang13
Does the kit also feel confident at high speeds or at woot?
At highway speeds (60 -75) the car feels smooth as silk. At WOT I usually pay more attention to the rear end than the front end, but so far so good...
Old 4/28/16, 03:32 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
ZeeGT--Did you ever get the original problem fixed?
Old 4/28/16, 07:43 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by smike308
ZeeGT--Did you ever get the original problem fixed?
smike308, sure did! Chirp was a bad strut and the thumping was a badly seated strut mount. Also had some rattling in the rear end and the FRRP sway bar bushing kit took care of that. Thanks for asking!