Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

how do i tighten the upper shock nut?

Search this Thread

Old 1/1/14, 08:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadrunner
Actually I started all this on sunday, and have been stuck on this nut for two days now. since i couldnt leave the car partially in my neighbors parking spot, i bolted everything up and simply tighten the nut whatever i could and moved my car back over to my spot. any way point is there is weight on it, but it still spins. i used an impact gun and held the rubber around the bolt with a vice grip, but i can only go so low before the vice grip gets in the way. i tried using opened ended wrenches, 15mm for the nut and 6mm for the bolt, but all that did was end up breaking the wrench(if you read this Matt, my bad. It was one of those midget wrenches, I'll replace it for you). at this point i quit for the night cause i didnt wanna break anymore tools, especially since they're borrowed.

My problem is there is no "top of the shaft" to hold. the nut will only go barely lower than the shaft, but its still not enough space for anything I can imagine to hold the bolt while i tighten the nut. And even if i do that, it's supposed to be at 30 ft/lbs torque, idk how its possible to torque this thing. Any other advice?

Edit: Oh wait you said shaft, my bad got that confused with bolt. What is this tool you speak up? I have read on other places about holding the shaft, but there techniques seemed sketchy.. i dont want to damage the shock
Hahaha. I didnt know I had a midget wrench. No worries. I know where you live . So glad your getting all this info so when we do mine we wont have so much hassle.

Matthew
Old 1/1/14, 10:50 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It looks like it is on there good enough and it also does look like the threads are messed up.
Old 1/6/14, 01:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
It looks like it is on there good enough and it also does look like the threads are messed up.
You don't even know half the story lol. The threads being jacked up was just the beginning...

In the end though, it all got worked out and everything is as it should be. Eibach is awesome
Old 1/6/14, 01:49 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by roadrunner
You don't even know half the story lol. The threads being jacked up was just the beginning...

In the end though, it all got worked out and everything is as it should be. Eibach is awesome
Sounds like there's more to the story... wrong nut? Wrong shocks?

Spill the beans!
Old 1/6/14, 01:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Sounds like there's more to the story... wrong nut? Wrong shocks?

Spill the beans!
These alot more to the story haha. Ill let John come in here and tell it.
Old 1/6/14, 04:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I installed my konis yesterday and didn't have any problem tightening the shock nuts. I lowered the car back to the ground and then tightened them.