Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Gt500 strut mounts.

Search this Thread

Old 3/27/12, 10:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SteedaBrandon
Just wanted to point out that our Pro-Action shocks for the 2011+ do not require the upper spring isolators from the GT500 mounts. They offer a great ride (we tested and changed the valving on these numerous times to get it just right), feature a lifetime warranty, and are made in the USA.
Send me a set to review Brandon! lol. Ill write a complete review and help get the word out!
Old 3/27/12, 11:14 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The red loc-tite is stronger then the blue? I hope the koni's have some instructions I can look at. I always over amp myself up with installs
Old 3/27/12, 11:19 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
The red loc-tite is stronger then the blue? I hope the koni's have some instructions I can look at. I always over amp myself up with installs
HAHAHA YES

Last edited by 11SHELBYGT500; 3/27/12 at 11:21 AM.
Old 3/27/12, 11:21 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500

HAHAHA YES
You are happy lol
Old 3/27/12, 11:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS

You are happy lol
I'm laughing because red loctite is a Beach!!! It took me 3 days to take off my shifter ball.
Old 3/27/12, 12:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm laughing because red loctite is a Beach!!! It took me 3 days to take off my shifter ball.
Yet you did your suspension install alone? What happened? Forgot to eat your spinach Popeye! I kid! But seriously though. Taking your shifter ball off was that hard? I will have to remember that and never use that stuff on something like my shifter.
Old 3/27/12, 12:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RobDis

Yet you did your suspension install alone? What happened? Forgot to eat your spinach Popeye! I kid! But seriously though. Taking your shifter ball off was that hard? I will have to remember that and never use that stuff on something like my shifter.
LOL getting that thing off was probably the hardest thing there is to do on a mustang. Doing my suspension was a powder puff compared to removing that ball.
Old 3/27/12, 12:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

LOL getting that thing off was probably the hardest thing there is to do on a mustang. Doing my suspension was a powder puff compared to removing that ball.
I've heard more than one person complain about the factory installed shifter ***** being hard to remove. Didn't know they used red loc-tite on them. I used the loc-tite on my strut bolts. The brand new ones. I had to buy 4 although I only needed 2 but that means I have some extras if I decide to swap out my shocks and struts later. I used the red loc-tite on the brake caliper bolts as well on the front when I put those back on. I may regret that later if I have to remove them again. But I would rather that than to have something come loose down the road, literally while on the ROAD! That would definitely turn a smile upside down.
Old 3/27/12, 03:02 PM
Cobra R Member

Gotta go pick some up before the install then. Im Hoping with only 2000 miles and not driven in rain bolts will come off easily.
Old 3/27/12, 05:40 PM
Bullitt Member

I put some gt500 track pack shocks and struts on at the same time and they are STIFF! LOL. I never tried the stockers with the springs. I did find the stock setup floaty. But not now! These shocks don't move. Even the alignment guy commented on it. Not sure what setup they would be comparable to though.
Sounds like the damping isn't ideal. This is what I was afraid of and another S197 owner w/ the Eibach Pro Kit + Koni Str.t's reported the same behavior too, like the suspension was way to stiff and a lot of NVH was transferred back to the driveline/cabin. Seems the rates on the Pro kits are pretty aggressive.

Think I may go with the Eibach Pro-kit dampers - really want to get rid of the stock float but also need the shocks to move! - and these are apparently designed specifically for the Pro Kits and Sportline springs.

Last edited by JPMotorSport; 3/27/12 at 05:42 PM.
Old 3/27/12, 05:51 PM
GTR Member

Ordered mine yesterday. Debating on camber bolts to go with the struts up front, most likely will do it for some adjustment. The goal for me was to totally rebuild the front struts and put them aside, if I want to swap them back out it doesn't require any spring compressor.

JP - you may want to look at the full FRPP setup if you're trying to find a matched set.
Old 6/1/12, 10:33 PM
GT Member

I just found these pictures. This is the strut mount that is listed on the Ford Parts website as being the standard for the GT and the GT500 With Performance Pack. It looks slightly different than the one for the regular GT500 and maybe it doesn't work because of the bell type housing on the bottom. I guess I will find out next week!
I have a 2012 GT500 SVTPP, getting ready to install Koni sports this weekend. So what your saying is there are 2 GT500 mounts ?
I will need to order the standard ones?

I installed Eibach pro-kit springs about 6mos ago, cant remember what the bottom of the strut mounts looked like.
Old 6/2/12, 01:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Minicobra

I have a 2012 GT500 SVTPP, getting ready to install Koni sports this weekend. So what your saying is there are 2 GT500 mounts ?
I will need to order the standard ones?

I installed Eibach pro-kit springs about 6mos ago, cant remember what the bottom of the strut mounts looked like.
The ones we are talking about already come on the svtpp cars so you should already have what you need. Thats what the ford parts guy told me anyway.
Old 6/2/12, 10:59 AM
GT Member

The ones we are talking about already come on the svtpp cars so you should already have what you need. Thats what the ford parts guy told me anyway.
Ok, still confused, the Koni's I have are the older version for 05-10 cars, these are the ones that they recommend the GT500 mounts for.

If my SVTPP mounts are the same ones used on the GT cars, will I need the newer version Koni struts, or the other version of the GT500 mounts.?

If I go to install them, how will I know that they won't work, will the top of the strut not fit into the strut mount? Thanks for the help.
Old 6/2/12, 11:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Minicobra

Ok, still confused, the Koni's I have are the older version for 05-10 cars, these are the ones that they recommend the GT500 mounts for.

If my SVTPP mounts are the same ones used on the GT cars, will I need the newer version Koni struts, or the other version of the GT500 mounts.?

If I go to install them, how will I know that they won't work, will the top of the strut not fit into the strut mount? Thanks for the help.
No what i'm saying is that yours should be the better ones that i and others have had to buy. Your gt500 should already have them.
Old 6/2/12, 11:47 AM
GT Member

No what i'm saying is that yours should be the better ones that i and others have had to buy. Your gt500 should already have them.
Ok, thanks :-) I'm going to give it a shot.

Last thing is, trying to decide weather to replace the so called "one time" use bolts or just put some loc tite on them.
I've already re-used them once, when I did the springs, so if they are not too expensive, I may just replace them.
Old 6/3/12, 12:44 PM
GT Member

They are in :-)

Looks, like they work with the 2012 SVTPP mounts.
I installed the rears first (really easy) and took it for a drive, I could immediately tell the difference, the rear end felt much more controlled and less bouncy/floaty. This was on the softest setting. Took about 2 hours to do the fronts. Went for another drive, this time not quite as a noticeable difference as how it was with the rear. The SVTPP front struts must do a pretty good job. Overall the front end definitely felt more solid, especially in the corners. I pulled over and gave both about 1 full turn toward stiff, an headed off again. Took it on some roads and freeways that I was familiar with, one in particular that has an inter-connecting ramp that has 2 pretty major dips spaced about 40ft apart. At 75mph with the previous set-up the car would really shimmy and bounce to the point where you did not feel in control. With the Koni's, there was a noticeable difference in reduced shimmy/bounce. The car felt firm, but more controlled and connected to the road.

I'm going to mess with the settings a bit more this week to try and dial it in.
Overall pretty happy with the money spent. :-)

I'm a little concerned that the Eibach Pro-Kit spring rate, (especially the front) is a little too stiff. I'm not sure how they compare to the Steeda, going to do some research.
Mainly because Eibach did not re-do the spring rate for the 2011-12 GT500 cars, it was just a carry over from the 07-10 model springs. You have to wonder, because the 11-12 cars are over 100lbs lighter in the front end.