Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

Brakes grinding and popping suspension

Search this Thread

Old 1/19/15, 12:52 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Brakes grinding and popping suspension

Recently my front brakes have been making a grinding noise the first couple of times I hit the pedal. I haven't had time to get the car up on the lift. I have tried bedding them and they still make noise. Ideas?

I'm getting a popping from the right side front as well as the drivers rear. I had my front LCAs replaced under the TSB. Again, need time to put her up on the lift.
Old 1/19/15, 05:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Can you see any scoring on the rotor?
Old 1/19/15, 05:40 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Also, there a TSB on the front lower control arms...not sure if this is your issue but it's worth checking out.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...oise-tsbs.html
Old 1/21/15, 04:54 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Yes there is scoring on the rotors. I just tried to bed the pads again to no avail. Also I just got the LCAs replaced under the TSB it's only on one side so maybe they didn't tighten something to spec. Annoyed because I'm in Germany and the dealership is an hour away.
Old 1/21/15, 06:57 AM
GT Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Bought my '12 used with 12K miles. Within a month the front brakes groaned horribly. I gave the dealer one shot at it, and the noise returned in a week.

I swapped in some Akebono pads and it has been dead silent since, now sitting at 65K miles.
Old 1/21/15, 08:07 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
Recently my front brakes have been making a grinding noise the first couple of times I hit the pedal. I haven't had time to get the car up on the lift. I have tried bedding them and they still make noise. Ideas?

I'm getting a popping from the right side front as well as the drivers rear. I had my front LCAs replaced under the TSB. Again, need time to put her up on the lift.
Yes there is scoring on the rotors. I just tried to bed the pads again to no avail. Also I just got the LCAs replaced under the TSB it's only on one side so maybe they didn't tighten something to spec. Annoyed because I'm in Germany and the dealership is an hour away.
Make sure you let them know what’s going on, Stevedotmil.

Deysha
Old 1/21/15, 02:52 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Thanks Deysha. I surely will. I have to check the paperwork I got from them because when I had my car up tonight checking my brakes I also checked out the LCAs and they didn't replace them. Pretty upset now. I'm going to get Hawk HPS pads I think or maybe the new Street / Race 5.0 pads. I need something that will put up with the autobahn stops. The rotors looked pretty bad too so I may have to replace those too. Stillen J Hook rotors or DBA 4000?
Old 1/22/15, 12:39 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Well here are the pictures of the damage that can be done if you cook your brakes and the pads crystalize. I should be ordering new front brake rotors and pads soon.

brakes 1 by steveinfante, on Flickr
This is on the car.

brakes 7 by steveinfante, on Flickr
Glazed pad

brakes 6 by steveinfante, on Flickr
After I cleaned one off. The bottom pad is the clean one. Notice the crystallization.

brakes 5 by steveinfante, on Flickr
brakes 4 by steveinfante, on Flickr
Outside surface of one rotor.

brakes 3 by steveinfante, on Flickr
brakes 2 by steveinfante, on Flickr
Partially cleaned off. This is as clean as I could get them without having them turned. There are a couple spots where there is pitting.

Here's the moral of the story kids. Don't go racing or performance driving without having the proper gear. I should have just bought some race pads for the fun days. I'm not a fan of trying to use "street/race" pads. These were the stock Track Pack(BOSS compound) pads. A proper race pad like the Hawk DTC-60 or 70 would have been a much better option. Get some quality rotors that are SLOTTED and not DRILLED. I'm not sure what heat rating these are good for but I'm sure I went way past it.

Last edited by Stevedotmil; 1/22/15 at 12:48 AM.
Old 1/22/15, 06:25 AM

Thanks Deysha. I surely will. I have to check the paperwork I got from them because when I had my car up tonight checking my brakes I also checked out the LCAs and they didn't replace them. Pretty upset now. I'm going to get Hawk HPS pads I think or maybe the new Street / Race 5.0 pads. I need something that will put up with the autobahn stops. The rotors looked pretty bad too so I may have to replace those too. Stillen J Hook rotors or DBA 4000?
You’re very welcome, Stevedotmil! One day I’ll experience autobahn driving.

Deysha
Old 1/22/15, 07:39 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

On a side note I tightened up the front shock tower shock bolts to 76 ft lbs last night and the rear drivers side as well and the popping has seemed to stop for now. Still pissed about the LCA's not getting done though.

Deysha,

I hope one day you can. If you ever come to Germany rent a fast car for a day. It will set you back around $400 and you will enjoy every second. You can get a Aston Martin Vantage for a day.
Old 1/23/15, 06:43 AM

On a side note I tightened up the front shock tower shock bolts to 76 ft lbs last night and the rear drivers side as well and the popping has seemed to stop for now. Still pissed about the LCA's not getting done though.

Deysha,

I hope one day you can. If you ever come to Germany rent a fast car for a day. It will set you back around $400 and you will enjoy every second. You can get a Aston Martin Vantage for a day.
I’m going to definitely do that, Stevedotmil!

Deysha
Old 1/31/15, 04:32 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Picked up a set of new old stock Brembo rotors from a buddy who had them laying around after he upgraded and didn't use the rotors because he put upgraded ones on instead. Score for me. He may have the stock pads which he didn't use that I might get for FREE as well. Score again.
Old 2/7/15, 02:31 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Okay so I decided to go with HAWK HP Plus pads for the fronts and decided to not get the rear pads till later due to some unexpected circumstance. Do you think I will have any problems with my brake bias since I'm still running the stock compound rear pads? If I absolutely have to get the rear pads to avoid problems later then I will. Thanks.
Old 2/8/15, 12:10 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Okay so I decided to go with HAWK HP Plus pads for the fronts and decided to not get the rear pads till later due to some unexpected circumstance. Do you think I will have any problems with my brake bias since I'm still running the stock compound rear pads? If I absolutely have to get the rear pads to avoid problems later then I will. Thanks.
You'll be fine. HP + are not too aggressive. You'll certainly have a bit more front bias, but I don't think you'll notice.

Up until this year I've been running stock rear pads on my car with proper race pads up front (CT XP10s). The bias was noticeably different under very heavy 140mph down to 50mph braking. For normal driving I didn't notice anything though.

This year I' upgrading the rear pads as well.
Old 2/8/15, 02:26 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Thanks for the reply. I will upgrade the rear later this year then. Do you run road courses or autocross? I want to go to Hockenheim this season and also back to the Nürburgring.
Old 2/8/15, 02:39 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I will upgrade the rear later this year then. Do you run road courses or autocross? I want to go to Hockenheim this season and also back to the Nürburgring.
If you do either of those tracks please bring a gopro and post the videos.
Old 2/8/15, 07:04 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Good deal.

I do HPDE events at road courses near me. Michigan has a few nice tracks, I like Gingerman and Grattan quite a bit. I have a few vids posted in the Motorsports section from Grattan.

I'm jealous you get to take on the ring. I've been to Germany a few times for work, but never had a chance to try. If I do get a chance to drive the ring I wouldn't even worry about lap times. Just remembering the track would be the challenge!

Hockenheim would be awesome to drive too. There I'd worry about lap times. I love the layout of that course.
Old 2/9/15, 03:10 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

The Rjng was a great experience. Expensive last year. New ownership should bring some changes. Hopefully for the better. Lots of wrecks as more people try and fly around during heavy traffic. I have friends who are sub 9 and low 8 minute guys but have 50-80 laps. I did 10:17 my second lap. I have it memorized. It ran up to around $135 for 40 ish minutes of time. I didn't get my fourth lap in because it started rain v and there was a lot of people.

Hock is a ton cheaper but also crowded. Should be able to hit that one up for sure.

The whole reason I bought this specific car was to be able to go to the track when time allowed and become a better driver in general.
Old 2/18/15, 10:16 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Got my brake pads from Hypermotive today. Install tomorrow probably b
Old 2/19/15, 01:02 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

So I did the install at the shop. Cost me $10 for 2 hours. I had a guy with a 5.0 help and learn as since he's not very mechanically inclined. It was cool to be able to help someone learn how stuff works. He's going to do a BBK upgrade later this year before he goes to the Nurburgring with us so he was thankful for the knowledge. Things went without a hitch.

I ended up flushing the brake fluid out with DOT 4 ATE Super Blue Race Fluid. It was about $45 for a liter. I didn't end up using the whole thing during the flush. The old fluid was pretty dark. It looked like the color of maple syrup. Maybe a little darker. I'm glad I changed it out.

I really like the new pedal feel. I get all the brake dive I could ever need now. I like the bite of the HP+ pads. The squeaky sounds with light pressure don't really bother me much but I'm sure other people who don't know any better will wonder why I am letting my brakes squeak and don't change them out. It's a great trade off for me anyway. No more grinding!