Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

2011-2014 GT/Boss rear brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 6/3/15, 07:49 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by mustang5o
So they don't want you to drum up business for them? Not that I'd be using them but still, seems like a stupid thing to ask. "Lets not advertise our great service and prices"

Glad to see it worked out well.
---
If you're local Las Vegas I'd be happy to put you in touch with the Performance Division Manager. He's helped me many times with upgrades, his crew is great. He knows I'm on the forums, at Cars & Coffee, at track days, etc. I'm simply respecting his wishes to keep the price for labor on the down-low.
Old 6/3/15, 08:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by PJRManagement
---
If you're local Las Vegas I'd be happy to put you in touch with the Performance Division Manager. He's helped me many times with upgrades, his crew is great. He knows I'm on the forums, at Cars & Coffee, at track days, etc. I'm simply respecting his wishes to keep the price for labor on the down-low.
I'm not which is why I wasn't worried about using them. I just find it odd they wouldn't want to advertise a good thing. Nothing on you.
Old 6/5/15, 08:20 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts

dmichaels - I'm glad it worked well for your track day. I had my first track day with this new rear set-up on May 17, it held up very well. No fade, no scoring on the rear rotors, no burnt metal smell, no smoke. I think this is the right fix for the track.
Had another track day on them yesterday. Again worked great. Zero issues. I'm still happy 😎
Old 6/6/15, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by dmichaels
Had another track day on them yesterday. Again worked great. Zero issues. I'm still happy 😎
---
That's what I like to hear!
Old 6/7/15, 07:26 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

---
That's what I like to hear!
Update - bled the brakes today in prep for Tuesday (yes I'm going a bit nuts with track days this season... Tuesday will be number 6 so far I think)

Anyways, had air in both rear calipers. However zero surface cracks so it seems the brakes are cooler than before at least.

Tuesday is at a venue that is very very hard on brakes. So I'm interested to see how they hold up there. Last year I would get fade within about 6-8 minutes per session
Old 6/7/15, 07:34 PM

Tuesday is at a venue that is very very hard on brakes. So I'm interested to see how they hold up there. Last year I would get fade within about 6-8 minutes per session
---
Enjoy Tuesday, keep us posted afterwards.
Old 6/7/15, 08:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Update - bled the brakes today in prep for Tuesday (yes I'm going a bit nuts with track days this season... Tuesday will be number 6 so far I think)

Anyways, had air in both rear calipers. However zero surface cracks so it seems the brakes are cooler than before at least.

This is good to see. The easier to use brackets may be in my future.
Old 6/10/15, 11:40 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts

Glad to hear the brackets are holding up! Related question, have you had to change your front/rear rotors yet? If so how many track days/miles did they last? I will have 7 track days total on my rotors by the end of the season and I'm wondering what what point I need to think about new ones.

This is good to see. The easier to use brackets may be in my future.
I'm keeping an eye on this as well. Good cost effective upgrade if it's durable.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 6/10/15 at 11:42 AM.
Old 6/11/15, 05:54 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Ran the car at Thompson on Tuesday. The brackets held up great. I did get some air in both rear calipers but braking performance barely deteriorated during the day. 100x better than last year. Thompson is brutal on brakes too so this was the real torture test. Plus each session was 35 mins and I was out for at least 25 each done before the tires overheated.

I replaced all my rotors. I put in about 15 days on the oem front rotors before they had enough surface cracking to worry me. For the rears, I got fewer days before cracking one actually. But recall all the issues I had... The new gt500 rear rotors have zero surface cracking after 3 events and my fronts have 6 days on them with normal surface cracking. Nothing showing signs of propegating.
Old 6/11/15, 07:06 AM
Bullitt Member

For anyone interested, there is a big thread on this subject over on BMO as well

I need to snap a few pics of my brake cooling setup for the rear which looks like it will work wonderfully with the new larger rotors
I'm not familiar with the BMO forum, do you have a link? I would like to see your rear brake cooling. I'm trying to plan ahead for what I'm sure will become an addiction

Ran the car at Thompson on Tuesday. The brackets held up great. I did get some air in both rear calipers but braking performance barely deteriorated during the day..
I've seen you mention a couple of times about having air in the rear calipers. I'm curious what could be causing that? Is that just a common issue with track driving? Any thoughts on why only the rear and not the front?

Thanks!
Old 6/11/15, 05:33 PM

Ran the car at Thompson on Tuesday. The new gt500 rear rotors have zero surface cracking after 3 events and my fronts have 6 days on them with normal surface cracking. Nothing showing signs of propegating.
---
Excellent! Big difference for me, too - at the track. I wish I did this two years ago!
Old 6/12/15, 05:54 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Glad to hear everyone is getting fade free braking at the track.
Old 6/12/15, 08:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I'm not familiar with the BMO forum, do you have a link? I would like to see your rear brake cooling. I'm trying to plan ahead for what I'm sure will become an addiction

I've seen you mention a couple of times about having air in the rear calipers. I'm curious what could be causing that? Is that just a common issue with track driving? Any thoughts on why only the rear and not the front?

Thanks!
First question: bossmustangsonline.com - it's an excellent forum

The air in the rear calipers is simply the fluid boiling a bit. I was getting a lot of weeping from the front bleeders on the Brembo's last season and early this season, but I put in the Wilwood style bleeder inserts that seal up against the inside of the caliper and then create a new bleeder valve surface for new, small bleeders. They have worked wonderfully and stopped all the weeping, leading to a nice solid pedal feel

I don't have much more I can do for the rear calipers at this point to prevent the fluid boiling. I run Castrol SRF, which is about the best fluid out there, and I still get a bit of boiling at the very brake aggressive tracks. At "normal" tracks I've had no issues.

I also drive the car very hard, and brake very late, so I'm making massive heat...

Best driver compliment came earlier this week from an E36 M3 driver (track dedicated car with aero) who found me after the last session and said "Dude, you are UNTOUCHABLE out there!!!" End result is my helmet no longer fits But in all seriousness, I drive the car HARD and stopping 3800 lbs from 140 down to 50, then 90-50, then 100-35, with only seconds in between beats the crap out of the brakes

At Limerock, I'm good now with no issues. At Palmer, also good, no issues. Not sure about Watkins Glen, but I think I'll have no issues there anymore either. Thompson is the only venue that I expect to have continued limited boiling fluid because I don't know what "slow down" means
Old 6/12/15, 08:35 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Little video of the brake aggressive track I drove earlier this week. I'll happily take a bit of boiled fluid compared to last year where I had to cut sessions to like 10 minutes. I was running 30+ minute sessions this week and did not bleed between sessions. This is a MASSIVE improvement

Old 6/13/15, 07:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
how are those sr springs for the street with the koni str.t shocks and stuts?
Old 6/14/15, 04:40 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Ponywars
how are those sr springs for the street with the koni str.t shocks and stuts?
Great for the street. I'm out driving them at the track now but for a novice/intermediate driver or for purely street driving they are great and budget friendly.
Old 7/5/15, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice lap! So much smoother than last year and the time shows it. Looks like a line adjustment through the chute and dive (9-10) would probably be your best opportunity to take more time off. But that left-right is seems tough to time as it all depends on where you come off the oval which doesn't have much for good landmarks. The late turn in to 1 looks great and seems to help you carry speed through 2.

Glad you seem to have your brake issues worked out now. How are those st47s I pointed out? Holding up compared to what you were running before?
Old 7/9/15, 11:15 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by duff
Nice lap! So much smoother than last year and the time shows it. Looks like a line adjustment through the chute and dive (9-10) would probably be your best opportunity to take more time off. But that left-right is seems tough to time as it all depends on where you come off the oval which doesn't have much for good landmarks. The late turn in to 1 looks great and seems to help you carry speed through 2.

Glad you seem to have your brake issues worked out now. How are those st47s I pointed out? Holding up compared to what you were running before?
Thanks - getting quicker, although good tires helped a lot too. I'm not sure I'll go back to Thompson this season, as it destroys my tires...

The brakes are incredible. I have maybe 8 events on the ST47's up front now and they are less than 50% worn. Just got back from the Glen with the NASCAR layout, which was pretty brutal on brakes. Zero issues with the fronts (I quite literally smoked the rear pads - 15 minutes in they just lit up in white smoke that filled the cabin. It was a first for me).

But I am highly impressed with the ST47's. I bought 3 sets Should be good for a couple seasons given the slow rate they are wearing!! Minimal rotor wear too... guess I owe you a beer for that tip!
Old 7/9/15, 04:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks - getting quicker, although good tires helped a lot too. I'm not sure I'll go back to Thompson this season, as it destroys my tires...

The brakes are incredible. I have maybe 8 events on the ST47's up front now and they are less than 50% worn. Just got back from the Glen with the NASCAR layout, which was pretty brutal on brakes. Zero issues with the fronts (I quite literally smoked the rear pads - 15 minutes in they just lit up in white smoke that filled the cabin. It was a first for me).

But I am highly impressed with the ST47's. I bought 3 sets Should be good for a couple seasons given the slow rate they are wearing!! Minimal rotor wear too... guess I owe you a beer for that tip!
What were you running before the ST47 pads? What kind of rotors are you running? Do you swap back to standard pads for the street?
Old 7/10/15, 08:01 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

What were you running before the ST47 pads? What kind of rotors are you running? Do you swap back to standard pads for the street?
I've run all different pads. Pagid, carbotech, hawk, performance friction.... The raybestos has out lasted and out braked everything while also being very smooth. Carbotech would shutter, Hawks ate rotors, pagids were good but pricey...

I don't drive the car on the street much so no I stopped swapping. No issues running the st47's on the street for me.

Quick Reply: 2011-2014 GT/Boss rear brake upgrade