Notices
Suspension, Brakes, and Tire Tech Place to discuss suspension mods for all models

2011-2014 GT/Boss rear brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 5/19/15, 10:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by dmichaels
Figured, but had to ask to be sure! That said, sounds like it is working out great. I'm anxious to try mine out next week.

I agree on some reservations on the aftermarket bracket, but I'll be keeping a close eye on the brake setup as I always do. There are a number of guys who have been tracking their cars with the setup, so the brackets are getting hours on them. If I see any issues, I'll do the same swap to the GT500 OEM brackets. They are quite reasonable after all!

Enjoy your setup - hope it keeps working well. I'll report back after I put some time on mine as well.
The good thing about adding the OEM adapters is you can paint them and the parts of the axle. I painted the adapters (they came bare) and got rid of all the rust back there

LEXiiON
Old 5/19/15, 10:23 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
I like the bracket idea because of the simplicity of the brake upgrade. If the brackets prove to be durable, I may go that route as my next mod (following going to the dark side).
Old 5/19/15, 10:55 AM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Thanks, everyone. I hope this thread helps others with the same issue. A nice, reasonably priced option, and only a few parts need to be purchased, while using existing stuff - I like saving $$. The 2" larger rotors do a good job dissipating the heat, so I think I have this problem solved for track days! Post up your opinions, ideas, results!
Old 5/19/15, 11:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
Thanks, everyone. I hope this thread helps others with the same issue. A nice, reasonably priced option, and only a few parts need to be purchased, while using existing stuff - I like saving $$. The 2" larger rotors do a good job dissipating the heat, so I think I have this problem solved for track days! Post up your opinions, ideas, results!
I don't track, but over the last 2+ years i had this installed, i found no problems at all. It looks sooooo much better, especially with larger rims in the rear. Those cars should have come stock with those brakes IMHO.

LEXiiON
Old 5/19/15, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by LEXiiON
I don't track, but over the last 2+ years i had this installed, i found no problems at all. It looks sooooo much better, especially with larger rims in the rear. Those cars should have come stock with those brakes IMHO.

LEXiiON
---
Agreed, the rear brake set-up stock is pretty weak. Can you believe the Boss and Boss LS came with this 11.8" rear rotor and single-piston sliding caliper set-up? Same as GT, with only stronger lines. Not enough, IMO. Every new Camaro SS came with 14" rotors and 4-pot fixed Brembos, front AND rear. C'mon Ford!
Old 5/19/15, 11:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

---
Agreed, the rear brake set-up stock is pretty weak. Can you believe the Boss and Boss LS came with this 11.8" rear rotor and single-piston sliding caliper set-up? Same as GT, with only stronger lines. Not enough, IMO. Every new Camaro SS came with 14" rotors and 4-pot fixed Brembos, front AND rear. C'mon Ford!
^^ 100% Agree
Old 5/20/15, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it is weird that the rear axles need to come out just to do a rear rotor swap...
Old 5/20/15, 02:06 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
Originally Posted by rs999
I think it is weird that the rear axles need to come out just to do a rear rotor swap...
It's not the rotor swap, it's the backing plates.
Old 5/20/15, 06:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by SpectreH
It's not the rotor swap, it's the backing plates.
Hey so I thought I read in another thread that the drawback to upgrading to Brembos in the rear was having to R&R the rear axles. So could you theoretically accomplish something similar by swapping one's front Brembos to the rear and putting the GT500 Brembos in the front? That sounds like some massive stopping power and would look sweet.
Old 5/20/15, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
Hey so I thought I read in another thread that the drawback to upgrading to Brembos in the rear was having to R&R the rear axles. So could you theoretically accomplish something similar by swapping one's front Brembos to the rear and putting the GT500 Brembos in the front? That sounds like some massive stopping power and would look sweet.
---
Hang on for a moment. My upgrade is NOT Brembos in the rear. In order to have a fixed caliper (Brembo, or other brand) in the rear requires a different set-up entirely. My upgrade is swapping a larger 13.8" rotor from a 2013-2014 GT500 to replace the stock GT/Boss 11.8" rotor. It needs new relocation brackets, and if you use the GT500 brackets (as I did), you must remove the rear axles on both sides to accomplish this. Adding 14" or 15" Brembos with fixed calipers to the rear is a much bigger (and more $$ expensive job). Certainly 6-pots in front, and 4-pots in rear is the ideal set-up, but very expensive. For mild track duty, and easy-on-the-wallet expense, plus re-using existing components to save money...my way is pretty good, IMO.
Old 5/20/15, 10:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
---
Hang on for a moment. My upgrade is NOT Brembos in the rear. In order to have a fixed caliper (Brembo, or other brand) in the rear requires a different set-up entirely. My upgrade is swapping a larger 13.8" rotor from a 2013-2014 GT500 to replace the stock GT/Boss 11.8" rotor. It needs new relocation brackets, and if you use the GT500 brackets (as I did), you must remove the rear axles on both sides to accomplish this. Adding 14" or 15" Brembos with fixed calipers to the rear is a much bigger (and more $$ expensive job). Certainly 6-pots in front, and 4-pots in rear is the ideal set-up, but very expensive. For mild track duty, and easy-on-the-wallet expense, plus re-using existing components to save money...my way is pretty good, IMO.
Sorry. I did a bad job with that post. For one, I've had rear Brembos on the brain for a while now and re-reading my post I realize others could misunderstand your original post. For two, I thought it was more on topic than it probably ended up being. For three, it failed to properly acknowledge how cost effective your solution is for the most significant problem with the rear brakes, which is not cosmetics, it's adequate stopping power at the track. Not overengineered, expensive "ultimate" stopping power, but stopping power that works and solves a common problem at a reasonable cost.

To my defense, I know lots of people are interested in rear Brembos as well (perhaps more money than brains, perhaps it's a cosmetic thing) and I thought the primary discouraging factor was the removal of the axles. I didn't even think about the difference in cost, only that you made the axle removal sound pretty routine and I got a little too enthusiastic.
Old 5/21/15, 08:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

The axle removal isn't really difficult nor hard to do. The only thing that makes it horrible, is the smell of the diff fluid. Man that stuff stinks!
I took the opportunity to swap out the rear diff cover for the finned aluminum one, once I was at it.
As i said, axle removal is simple, as outlined in my install guide.
LEXiiON
Old 5/24/15, 11:46 PM

No worries, berserk. I get it. Shelby American offers a 4-pot fixed rear set-up. And it is very expensive. Apparently it's tougher to install then my solution, because the solid rear axle was not intended to have large rear rotors with fixed calipers. I did wonder if the GT/Boss/Brembo front 14s with 4-pots would ever transfer to the rear, but I don't think they are engineered that way. Too bad Ford did not get the brakes right from the start. You put 400+ horsepower in a sporty two-door coupe, you would think you'd get a robust braking system. It's like the rears are an after-thought. Too bad. It means drivers like us have to come up with something to fix it. I'm a cheap bastard, so I think I found the least expensive way. Who knows, maybe someone else has done it better/cheaper. If they have, I hope they will share their story with all of us.
Old 5/25/15, 10:16 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by LEXiiON
Good choice. I did that 2 1/2years ago. In addition to the parts you bought, i replaced the bolts as per Ford's recommendation.
While the calipers are looking the same, they are slightly different. The bracket where the caliper slides on is slightly differently curved. I had to file down some metal at the end, in order to prevent the rotor from hitting it, when the rear brakes become hot and expand. See picture.
I even have a written install guide...

LEXiiON
Do you have the parts numbers for the bolts?
Old 5/25/15, 07:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
Search my nickname on eBay. I got all necessary bolts listed there with P/Ns.
LEXiiON
Old 5/25/15, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. V
---
I think this is it: W705821-S439
Not 100% sure, but you can check around.
Old 5/27/15, 12:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes, 5.Monster, you must remove the diff cover, drain, and remove both axles. Too complicated for me, I had my Ford Performance group do the install for me. But, if you're comfortable with it, it should be no problem.
How many hours and how much did they charge you for the install?
Old 5/28/15, 07:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
First track day today with the new GT500 rotors on the rear. Worked great! Strong braking, no bias issues, and had zero fade at Limerock. I'm going to bleed them this weekend to make sure no bubbles, but the pedal feel was excellent through 25 minute sessions in 85F ambient temps.

So far, I am very very happy!!! I'll check out the brackets as well, but they seemed to hold up just fine
Old 6/2/15, 08:15 PM

mustang5o - I'm lucky, my local Ford dealer has a Performance Division, and they are amazing. I cannot divulge my price paid (I had to swear to them), but figure 3-4 hours labor, plus diff fluid and sealant.

dmichaels - I'm glad it worked well for your track day. I had my first track day with this new rear set-up on May 17, it held up very well. No fade, no scoring on the rear rotors, no burnt metal smell, no smoke. I think this is the right fix for the track.
Old 6/3/15, 06:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
mustang5o - I'm lucky, my local Ford dealer has a Performance Division, and they are amazing. I cannot divulge my price paid (I had to swear to them), but figure 3-4 hours labor, plus diff fluid and sealant..
So they don't want you to drum up business for them? Not that I'd be using them but still, seems like a stupid thing to ask. "Lets not advertise our great service and prices"

Glad to see it worked out well.

Quick Reply: 2011-2014 GT/Boss rear brake upgrade