Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 5/29/11, 04:18 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boss Lady
Thank you so much for the width info, that helps a lot. We're new to all of this as it applies to a Mustang. That's what makes finding a forum like this one so great.
Don't take that as definitive. Hopefully someone else will comment on this.
Old 5/31/11, 11:50 AM
Bullitt Member

I was thinking about trying these when the PZero were out. They are 2 lbs lighter than the Hankooks and have had great reviews.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ECDW&tab=Specs
Old 5/31/11, 05:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Watts Link!

Originally Posted by cloud9
I don't disagree with anything you're saying here at all. Heck, that's why I bought a square setup of 275s on 9.5" rims all around before I even got my car. I don't have track time in mid-engine cars, but do have a few thousand laps in front engine Mustangs and Corvettes that do have a bias toward understeer. I fully expected the Boss to be the same and therefore wanted the car to turn in and rotate better.

I do want to make a big disclaimer, I am not a suspension expert! I am just trying to share my experience with the Boss so far and try to help others learn from my "mistakes". I know I'd appreciate the same from any of you guys and that's what I see as the value of these forums. Yesterday down at MAM, we started in rain. The car rotated very quickly when I found the edge and it was almost always oversteer. It dried out late morning and we had a great day. I ran within .012 of my best lap time ever in the GT500 and my tires were on their last legs. (corded my last session). With TracKey and a little more seat time I'll be running faster no doubt. 80% of the time I found the edge yesterday it was overrotating. This was with a 12.48" rear and 11.22" front.

Everyone should try what they want and match to their driving style

Bottom line, this is a Mustang that turns
Old 5/31/11, 05:55 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bossdog
Watts Link!
I already made that mistake on the Boss. Bought one before I took delivery based on my experience with the GT500 on the track. I waited to install it until I tracked the Boss at least once. I sold it after my first track day. I would suggest you track the Boss AT LEAST ONCE before thinking about touching anything on the suspension.
Old 5/31/11, 08:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cloud9
I already made that mistake on the Boss. Bought one before I took delivery based on my experience with the GT500 on the track. I waited to install it until I tracked the Boss at least once. I sold it after my first track day. I would suggest you track the Boss AT LEAST ONCE before thinking about touching anything on the suspension.
I have had 2 track days. I'm a novice so I'm not pushing it too hard yet. I haven't had it want to come around on me yet. Understeer seems minimal. I tend to agree it seems set up very well from the factory. I did have it come around on my autocrossing. I am taking your advice. I will get tires and brakes, learn the limits of the car and then try the watts link and see if it is an improvement. I have my old Fays2 Watts link from my SN95 I pulled off if you know anyone who needs one for that model. It made a world of improvement on that vehicle.
Old 5/31/11, 09:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I have my old Fays2 Watts link from my SN95 I pulled off if you know anyone who needs one for that model. It made a world of improvement on that vehicle.
Given the stock set-up of the SN-95 vehicle was a quad-shock arrangement rather than a tied-down Panhard bar set-up, I definitely would believe that.
Old 5/31/11, 11:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso

Given the stock set-up of the SN-95 vehicle was a quad-shock arrangement rather than a tied-down Panhard bar set-up, I definitely would believe that.
The sn-95 rear suspension is an insane example of trying to band-aid an issue. Instead of starting over they just added stuff to compensate. A panhard bar does wonders for a new edge for stability and "feel". The quad shock design does perform well with stronger lcas tho. You have to choose tho whether you want straight line strength or cornering ability. Jmo
Old 5/31/11, 11:21 PM
GT Member

I have had 2 track days. I'm a novice so I'm not pushing it too hard yet. I haven't had it want to come around on me yet. Understeer seems minimal. I tend to agree it seems set up very well from the factory. I did have it come around on my autocrossing. I am taking your advice. I will get tires and brakes, learn the limits of the car and then try the watts link and see if it is an improvement. I have my old Fays2 Watts link from my SN95 I pulled off if you know anyone who needs one for that model. It made a world of improvement on that vehicle.
Hey how much abuse has that watts link seen? Cuz after i get my sub frames I wanna do some suspension work and those watts seem to work especially well on sn-95's
Old 8/9/11, 05:32 PM
Cobra Member

does anyone know the widest tire we can use on our stock Boss rims?
Old 8/9/11, 07:02 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jza1736
does anyone know the widest tire we can use on our stock Boss rims?
If you go to tirerack you can look up a tire and it will tell you the recommended rim and the smallest and largest rims that can be used. Manufactures like Nitto will also have this on there sites. Generally 275 is the widest for a 9 inch rim, 285 on the 9.5 and I think 305 on the 10 but check with the pros first.

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 8/9/11 at 07:07 PM.
Old 8/10/11, 06:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Hankook feedback

Originally Posted by MJockey
I was thinking about trying these when the PZero were out. They are 2 lbs lighter than the Hankooks and have had great reviews.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ECDW&tab=Specs
Jeff- I am running the Hankook V12's as street tires and weighed them before mounting on the SVT rims. According to your tire rack link the Continental front tires are 4# lighter than the Hankooks and the rear Continental's are 3# lighter. I too looked at the Continental's but found some noncomplementary comments and decided to go Hankook.

Also the Continental's carry a DOT wear rating of 340 vs the 280 for the Hankooks. I was not looking so much for a high mileage tire (as the 340 would indicate) but something better on the street than the R-compound Pirelli's at a wear rating of 60. I was looking in the 220 wear range to find a balance between tire dry traction "stickiness" and longevity. The 280 rating on the Hankook's satisfied my selection criteria best.

So far I have been quite pleased with the V12's. They are quiet and appear to have good traction. I have not had the car out in the rain to assess that capability but they do carry an AA traction rating.
Old 8/10/11, 08:41 AM

Delete

Last edited by 5 DOT 0; 8/10/11 at 08:43 AM.
Old 8/10/11, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by P0 Corsa
Jeff- I am running the Hankook V12's as street tires and weighed them before mounting on the SVT rims. According to your tire rack link the Continental front tires are 4# lighter than the Hankooks and the rear Continental's are 3# lighter. I too looked at the Continental's but found some noncomplementary comments and decided to go Hankook.

Also the Continental's carry a DOT wear rating of 340 vs the 280 for the Hankooks. I was not looking so much for a high mileage tire (as the 340 would indicate) but something better on the street than the R-compound Pirelli's at a wear rating of 60. I was looking in the 220 wear range to find a balance between tire dry traction "stickiness" and longevity. The 280 rating on the Hankook's satisfied my selection criteria best.

So far I have been quite pleased with the V12's. They are quiet and appear to have good traction. I have not had the car out in the rain to assess that capability but they do carry an AA traction rating.
I'm planning on running the V12's on my stock wheels for the track as my beginner set. If I get serious about tracking my Boss I'll move to 18's and probably go with Enkei PF01's and Nitto NT05 tires. The NT05's are available in 19's but at 10mm narrower widths than the stock size. Does anyone have an opinion on which tire might be a better choice considering the width difference?
Old 8/10/11, 08:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
I'm planning on running the V12's on my stock wheels for the track as my beginner set. If I get serious about tracking my Boss I'll move to 18's and probably go with Enkei PF01's and Nitto NT05 tires. The NT05's are available in 19's but at 10mm narrower widths than the stock size. Does anyone have an opinion on which tire might be a better choice considering the width difference?
Good question Rick. I would be interested in owner comments on this as well.

I was planning to go back out on the track with the V12's after running my Corsa's for one session, but did not get the chance. Interestied in your observations as to how the V12's do on the track.

I believe Gary is running (or has run) the NT05's or perhaps they were the 555 RII's on his 18" rims.

Last edited by P0 Corsa; 8/10/11 at 08:57 AM.
Old 8/10/11, 09:01 AM

I'm pretty sure he's running the 555 RII's. I'll be happy to share my opinion on the V12's but I won't have anything to compare them to. I'm sure the Pirelli's are better but that's a bit more than I want to spend for track tires starting out.
Old 8/10/11, 09:42 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by P0 Corsa
Good question Rick. I would be interested in owner comments on this as well.

I was planning to go back out on the track with the V12's after running my Corsa's for one session, but did not get the chance. Interestied in your observations as to how the V12's do on the track.

I believe Gary is running (or has run) the NT05's or perhaps they were the 555 RII's on his 18" rims.
I've been running the 555RIIs 305/35/18 and 285/30/18. Lots of rubber under the car. I wish I could get R6s in those sizes. I can get close with 295/30/18 and 275/35/18, but the rears are another full 1" shorter than the the 555RII 305s making them 1.6" shorter than stock. I might try the R6s on my Enkeis after I test the 19" R6s I have on my 302S wheels.
Old 8/10/11, 10:44 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
I'm pretty sure he's running the 555 RII's. I'll be happy to share my opinion on the V12's but I won't have anything to compare them to. I'm sure the Pirelli's are better but that's a bit more than I want to spend for track tires starting out.

Rick, I now you have the Miller day coming up but if I could suggest taking your Pirellis with you for at least one or two runs first time out. You will not kill them in two sessions, I ran them for a full day and wore a little on the edge. I am glad I had a chance to see how the felt before switching. After that try out the other tires and you get a better feel for the car and the differences in switching tires.

One thing I have found is a major height difference affected the handling. I am too new to this to say for sure but I will know better when I put taller tires up front from what I am running now.