2015 - 2023 MUSTANG Discuss everything 2015-2023 S550 Mustang

Summer tires

Search this Thread

Old 9/27/15, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Summer tires

My 2015 came with summer tires. Do I need to buy all season tires? My mechanic said I will be fine, but my friend said I need to get all season tires.
Anyone using summer tires all year round?
Thanks.
Old 9/27/15, 12:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by cozyp828
My 2015 came with summer tires. Do I need to buy all season tires? My mechanic said I will be fine, but my friend said I need to get all season tires.
Anyone using summer tires all year round?
Thanks.
Well, it depends entirely on the weather at your location....
Old 9/27/15, 12:55 PM

New Jersey.
Old 9/27/15, 01:09 PM
Cobra R Member

It would likely be worthwhile to get all seasons if you're driving during the winter, especially on any snow or ice. Summer tires are not to be used on snow or ice, or in below freezing Temps period.
Old 9/30/15, 07:34 PM

Thanks.
Old 9/30/15, 07:35 PM

Now what brand to buy?
Old 10/1/15, 08:59 AM

go to tirerack.com you can read reviews of their winter tires and can also view wheels on your vehicle. They deliver your new wheels mounted and balanced to your door. Summer tires are like driving on ice once the temperature drops below 45 degrees. I suggest you keep them and put on a set of winter tires around mid November then put the summer ones back on in mid April. I also live in NJ and speak from experience.
Old 10/1/15, 10:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Buy Michelin's, they're awesome. Sears has a great deal on free interest for 24 months using a sears card on a purchase over 400 dollars. Also 70 dollars off when you buy 4 Michelin tires.
This is the deal I took. size 265/45/18. I love them.
Old 10/1/15, 05:41 PM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you live in New Jersey all season tires are going to be only slightly better than the summer tires. You really should be getting winter tires.

Compared to summer tires in the warm weather and winter tires in the cold weather an all season is a poor compromise.
Attached Thumbnails Summer tires-tire-performance-vs-temp.jpg  
Old 10/1/15, 06:30 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by dgc333
If you live in New Jersey all season tires are going to be only slightly better than the summer tires. You really should be getting winter tires.

Compared to summer tires in the warm weather and winter tires in the cold weather an all season is a poor compromise.
Sure, if you get cheap ones.

If he lives in a well populated area, and if he doesn't get much snow, and if the temps don't regularly get below about 10-15*F then there isn't a ton of need for proper snow tires. If the roads are cleared quickly then they'll probably do just fine.

I'm a huge proponent of snow tires, but they don't always make sense. Good all seasons will offer good traction in temps down to 0*F and will still be acceptable in the snow for those rare occasions.

If regular sub zero temps and/or snowfall are typical then yes, snow tires are probably a better choice. I'm not convinced New Jersey sees any of that regularly...
Old 10/1/15, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tangofoxtrot5
go to tirerack.com you can read reviews of their winter tires and can also view wheels on your vehicle. They deliver your new wheels mounted and balanced to your door. Summer tires are like driving on ice once the temperature drops below 45 degrees. I suggest you keep them and put on a set of winter tires around mid November then put the summer ones back on in mid April. I also live in NJ and speak from experience.
Thank you very much, and to all of you as well for the great advice.

Last edited by cozyp828; 10/1/15 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10/2/15, 09:39 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeywhat
Sure, if you get cheap ones.

If he lives in a well populated area, and if he doesn't get much snow, and if the temps don't regularly get below about 10-15*F then there isn't a ton of need for proper snow tires. If the roads are cleared quickly then they'll probably do just fine.

I'm a huge proponent of snow tires, but they don't always make sense. Good all seasons will offer good traction in temps down to 0*F and will still be acceptable in the snow for those rare occasions.

If regular sub zero temps and/or snowfall are typical then yes, snow tires are probably a better choice. I'm not convinced New Jersey sees any of that regularly...
This is true, but if he already has dedicated summer tires and is willing to buy the additional rims that will be only used in winter then why not mount winter tires to them. You can get winter sport tires like the Dunlop Winter Sport 3D (have used them on 2 cars now and love them). They aren't nearly as hard core as say a set of Blizzacks, but if he lives in a populated area then they will be much better than all seasons in the snow and much better than snow tires in the cold and dry.

I live in a very populated area, but even with that, during a serious storm they can only keep main roads clear, there will be snow to be dealt with on side roads and at intersections.
Old 10/3/15, 06:05 AM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A proper winter tire will give dramatically better performance on cold dry, cold wet, icy and snow covered roads compared to an all season. There is a big difference between getting by and actually having a tire that is designed to perform in the conditions you are driving in.

If your car came with summers and you are buying a second set of tires really doesn't make sense to get all seasons.
Old 10/6/15, 05:51 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by dgc333
A proper winter tire will give dramatically better performance on cold dry, cold wet, icy and snow covered roads compared to an all season. There is a big difference between getting by and actually having a tire that is designed to perform in the conditions you are driving in. If your car came with summers and you are buying a second set of tires really doesn't make sense to get all seasons.
I live in Ontario and totally agree. Snows all round mounted on wheels is in MHO the safest way to go in snow,ice and low temperature conditions.
Old 10/15/15, 04:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea, summer tires need heat in them to have grip.
Luckily, We rarely get super cold where I live, or I would get winter tires.
I will prolly just use the snow/rain setting for the winter.
Old 10/21/15, 08:14 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Snow tires should almost be a no brainer when you're talking about a rear wheel drive car, like a Mustang.

I have snow tires and live in Ontario. Its one of the best driving cars I've driven in the winter seasons.

Mind you... this is the first car ever to have winter tires put on. I've always driven with All season tires. It really is night and day.

Even if you have that "one weekend" where your city get dumped on with snow, its worth investing in snow tires, just for that bad weekend.
Old 11/6/15, 05:53 PM
GT Member

I'm from nj and I can assure you that you should get 4 snows not all season tires.
As you know in nj the storms can be ridiculous! rear wheel drive won't cut it with A/S.
Use your summers April - November. snows DECEMBER thru MARCH. you won't regret it!
Old 11/6/15, 09:57 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeywhat

Agreed, if there isn't a lot of snow I'd go with all-seasons myself. Keep the factory rims and put the AS tires on in the fall and take them off in the spring.

Michelin's Pilot AS3 is a good all-season tire that gives up little in dry performance (it works as well as some competitor's summer tires - Michelin tested the AS3 specifically against Conti's summer tires and I can say from experience that the AS3 is as good as Nitto's NT555 summer tire if not better) it does trade some snow traction though for better overall grip on wet and dry pavement which is evident in the design of the tire since it doesn't have a lot of sipping but is formulated to stay pliable in low temperatures and uses silica impregnated rubber as well to enhance wet and snow capability.
Old 11/7/15, 10:34 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by bob
Agreed, if there isn't a lot of snow I'd go with all-seasons myself. Keep the factory rims and put the AS tires on in the fall and take them off in the spring.

Michelin's Pilot AS3 is a good all-season tire that gives up little in dry performance (it works as well as some competitor's summer tires - Michelin tested the AS3 specifically against Conti's summer tires and I can say from experience that the AS3 is as good as Nitto's NT555 summer tire if not better) it does trade some snow traction though for better overall grip on wet and dry pavement which is evident in the design of the tire since it doesn't have a lot of sipping but is formulated to stay pliable in low temperatures and uses silica impregnated rubber as well to enhance wet and snow capability.
I have AS-3 on my GT500 and in any temp they are much better than the Goodyear crap the car came with. Just because you live in area that doesnt get a lot of snow doesnt mean you can drive on summer tires. Under 40* they are dangerous and prone to cracking.
Old 4/18/16, 09:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Michelin AS3

Summer tires-image_d25dd5073bab67437041f36e42e6619206fcad2f.png
Originally Posted by rider
I have AS-3 on my GT500 and in any temp they are much better than the Goodyear crap the car came with. Just because you live in area that doesnt get a lot of snow doesnt mean you can drive on summer tires. Under 40* they are dangerous and prone to cracking.
After my 2's were 1/2 way on tread I ordered a staggered set for new rims handling is unbelievable around corners fast , then another full set of 235-18's for my stock rims then two spare rear tires

Summer tires-image_c8a8d3fddb77b8d2b9fb58be602acddba7baac1c.jpeg

Last edited by GottaHaveIt; 4/18/16 at 09:51 PM.