Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Steeda 302R wing

Search this Thread

Old 1/1/12, 07:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by steveespo
Alex, love that diffuser, you made it yourself right? Any chance you did wind tunnel test on your aero mods they are very cool.
Steve
Yes made it myself. It is made to the book so to speak. Don't have any wind tunnel testing not as common as a dyno you know.

Working on making the bottom flat this winter.
Old 1/1/12, 07:55 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 908ssp
Working on making the bottom flat this winter.
I recently had a chance to see a Porsche 997.2 GT3 RS up on a rack and it's as flat as a pancake under there.
Old 1/1/12, 08:38 PM
GT Member

That is interesting. Looks like they have 2 versions, one flat panel and one concave like stock. I prefer the concave look. $849 is steep but I wonder what the weight is?
Steve
Old 1/2/12, 04:08 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
You know you'll have to drill two new holes (four including the larger ones through the supports under the trunk lid) and fill and paint two holes right? Filling and painting is a lot more difficult than drilling new holes.
No, not with the new Steeda wing. I'll just have to fill two of the holes and use two of the existing holes. I'll just fill the holes with silicone goo as I am cool as slushi with the look.

Just bought 10 yards of 6 oz carbon 2x2 twill to cover it. Should be sick. Yes I'll have leftovers for some more stuff later.
Old 1/2/12, 04:35 PM

You better read the Steeda website again. You need to add two more holes. Then again if silicone filled holes are fine then having your spoiler flap around at 100+ is probably fine too.
Old 1/2/12, 04:53 PM
GT Member

I see your point. The guys I spoke with did not mention this, but it makes sense that a total of four holes will be required to stabilize the wing, since it is deeper and more substantial than the OEM product. ****. I'll be sure to provide feedback and pics once done.
Old 1/2/12, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Further
I see your point. The guys I spoke with did not mention this, but it makes sense that a total of four holes will be required to stabilize the wing, since it is deeper and more substantial than the OEM product. ****. I'll be sure to provide feedback and pics once done.
A tip for drilling the two holes on the underside of the trunk: drill the 3/4" holes slightly offset to the outside. This will make it much easier to get a socket into the hole to tighten the bolts. Not the same but it's the same process mounting the LS wing.
Old 1/2/12, 05:48 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't recall where I saw pictures of the underside of the Boss 302S trunk.

The pictures showed how it was reinforced and made mention of someone working on a wing that was in between the LS and the 302S.

Anyone?
Old 1/2/12, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by GT_350
I don't recall where I saw pictures of the underside of the Boss 302S trunk.

The pictures showed how it was reinforced and made mention of someone working on a wing that was in between the LS and the 302S.

Anyone?
The LS is the same as a Boss. The 302S trunk lid has been reinforced for the G-Stream wing.
Old 1/15/12, 04:41 PM
GT Member

I installed the wing today. Sorry, no pics yet, but they will be posted soon. As this is my first mod other than drilling the grill, it was a bit rocky and tedious. But overall I'm satisfied. Ended up losing one bolt in the trunk and had a little chipped paint. No worries.

Yes, you have to drill two additional holes for the wing, but that is no big deal. Getting to them on the underside is tough. The trunk lid has a second layer of metal under the outside layer to add strength; two layers separated by space (I-beam strength), so I actually drilled a one inch hole in this deeper layer to get to the other screws, using a Forstner bit.

The hardest part was prying the old wing off because of the ubiquitous sticky tape. After unscrewing the four bolts, you think you can just off the wing? Think again. After several attempts, I finally realized that using string, in a see-saw method worked best to splice through the foam tape and separate the wing from the lid. What a PITA.

The new wing looks absolutely incredible. Just wide enough to avoid hitting the antenna, but still substantial. The edges are directed in two planes to provide stability and downforce.

I skipped the carbon fiber, as the black primer looked just fine. I'm fine with flat or flawed paint for accessories. Flat is less flattering but oh so sick. It is actually a slightly dull gloss. The overall shape and curves suit the Boss so well.
Hats off to Steeda. I just might have to post their sticker on my car, my Acura. Lol.

BTW, can't wait to try it on the track now, and see if I feel the difference. Should provide some added insurance on those high speed kinks.

Last edited by Further; 1/15/12 at 04:46 PM.
Old 1/15/12, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Further
The hardest part was prying the old wing off because of the ubiquitous sticky tape. After unscrewing the four bolts, you think you can just off the wing? Think again. After several attempts, I finally realized that using string, in a see-saw method worked best to splice through the foam tape and separate the wing from the lid. What a PITA.
Here's a good tip on this, I used some nylon string to remove mine and it came off very easy. This is the string that Home Depot uses for tying down your Christmas tree to your roof and it's a lot heavier than fishing line yet flattens out enough to fit under the spoiler. I tried fishing line at first and it wasn't working that well. Once I used the string it cut it like butter and popped right off.
Old 1/15/12, 08:08 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
It is a tedious process, but it sounds like it was worth the work.. We would love to see the pictures and the feedback after you take it to the track,. We are sure you won't be disappointed.

Keep us informed!!

Thanks
TJ
Old 1/16/12, 07:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am a bigger fan of the 427r Trak Pak. Carbon Fiber and looks like the sex but will get you more attention than you may want..
Old 1/16/12, 11:18 AM
Cobra Member

Location: NJ. Waiting for our Gov. to be held accountable for his actions>>>Jersey Broke
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Here's a good tip on this, I used some nylon string to remove mine and it came off very easy. This is the string that Home Depot uses for tying down your Christmas tree to your roof and it's a lot heavier than fishing line yet flattens out enough to fit under the spoiler. I tried fishing line at first and it wasn't working that well. Once I used the string it cut it like butter and popped right off.
I tried dental floss and had the same problems removing the OEM spoiler. String works the best. I used mason cord. I think it's because the string creates more friction which aids in the cutting action. Fishing line and dental floss are to smooth........ I will agree 100% at being a PITA for what should be a smiple job.
Live and Learn

Last edited by boss man; 1/16/12 at 11:21 AM.
Old 1/16/12, 04:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Pete07GT
I am a bigger fan of the 427r Trak Pak. Carbon Fiber and looks like the sex but will get you more attention than you may want..
Yeah buddy!

Old 1/16/12, 06:21 PM
GT Member

Nah, didn't want the giant wing. Something a bit more low key but edgy is what I was looking for. Check it out. I went a bit picture crazy and the quality is suboptimal, but they get the job done, never-the-less. I used kite string to separate the OEM wing from the dual foam tape. I thought fishing line may be better, but did not have any. Dental floss failed miserably.

You can see three extra 1" holes in the support metal. There are two for the additional screw mounts, matching up with the new holes made through the top of the lid. The third is in the lower right, which I made to retrieve the 1" metal disks and an attempt to retrieve a screw I dropped behind the under sheet of metal. I replaced it with a spare screw. Brake cooling kite and trans scoop in the trunk, ready for installation.

Couple of mag views.

Here is a mount for one of the screws on the original OEM wing. I just replaced it with a nut and bolt with some goo for waterproofing. I have no urgent need to fill the hole.

Plenty of room for the antenna.

Old 1/16/12, 06:26 PM

It looks fantastic! We need a photo from the side with the whole car in it.
Old 1/16/12, 06:36 PM
GT Member

It looks fantastic! We need a photo from the side with the whole car in it.

Thanks. Ask and ye shall receive.

Last edited by Further; 1/16/12 at 09:23 PM.
Old 1/17/12, 09:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks great with all the black on your car.
Old 1/18/12, 10:59 AM
Bullitt Member

that's really nice looking.

Quick Reply: Steeda 302R wing