2012-2013 BOSS 302

Some Interesting Trackey Info

Search this Thread

Old 5/27/11, 11:00 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Vito
I talked to a guy at the store and he said it was CARB
lol, i talked to your mom and she said it was a patent issue.
Old 5/27/11, 11:17 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM

lol, i talked to your mom and she said it was a patent issue.
Are you retarded?
Old 5/27/11, 11:18 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Are you retarded?
Maybe Bill Ford is? He told me it was CARB.
Old 5/27/11, 11:32 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Maybe Bill Ford is? He told me it was CARB.
There goes the neighborhood lol
Old 5/28/11, 02:31 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Whammer
So if CARB is holding it up then it's possible it will not be approved.
If in fact it includes the 'ghost cam' effect at idle, I would think it would be impossible to get approval. Because increasing the overlap at idle (where they check emissions) is dumping raw unburned fuel in the tail pipe = CARB fail. Whereas using TiVCT in the stock tune is designed to clean up the emissions at idle and lower rpm (no overlap) but dial in performance (increased overlap) at high rpm's.

Which is why it makes more sense to allow after market tuners (incl FRPP) to play with and sell 'ghost cam' tunes vs selling it as a factory tune.

Besides, the track key tune is a real performance tune for the track at speed - not a gimmick for city streets idling at stop lights.

Last edited by cdynaco; 5/28/11 at 02:33 AM.
Old 5/28/11, 04:49 AM
GT Member

Is the Track Key just some myth or some marketing hype? Im getting ready to purchase a BOSS, but the track key is one of the main reasons I do want the BOSS. I just dont want to make a 40' something thousand dollar purchase, just to know that one of the main features is not going to happen...

I just may wait to see what 2013 BOSS'es come out with then.. I dont want to be disappointed and pissed off.
Old 5/28/11, 04:56 AM
Bullitt Member

what i was told is that it is very difficult to get a patent approved for a software functionality. ford applied for the patent, waited it out because they wanted to be sure it was granted before track key went out. if they only put in the patent app, then put track key out and the patent was declined they would be SOL and others could take that and build off it. i honestly dont get why it would matter if other cars had tghost cam, ford will sell anyone any part off the boss they want so why not the tune.

Still, i was told the original patent was denied, then ford went to tweak and resubmit hoping to get the patent the second time around. it makes sens, an app is not a guarantee of a patent. time will tell, but if the lund tune is not being sold, bama isnt offering one anymore, and they are saying its a ford patent issues i tend to believe it.
The Patent office denies almost nothing these days. They do not have the staff nor the expertise to investigate every patent, nore hire experts in every possible field that understand all technology issues. Todays patent office looks at basic issues and approves. They are self-funding and want your patent application dollars! The strength of the patent is them tested in the market place. Any Patent lawyers out there? I can't believe the general, overriding, patents that get approved in my industry. It's rediculus! If there is something worth patenting, Ford have endless patent lawyers and endless experts on any give topic/technology. If its a patent issue, I'm shocked!
Old 5/28/11, 05:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Would it have possible to designate the Trackey for off-road use only. The buyer would have to sign a form saying they understood that it was for track only.

There, problem solved so give me my Trackey!
Old 5/28/11, 07:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I happen to work for a large law firm who does extensive intellectual property and patent work, and as such has the ability to review and research all patent office approval activity and process. I can find nothing about this, or Ford being denied a patent in any official record or transaction on this matter. They have nothing rejected or pending at least in this regard.

However - it's not uncommon for Legal to work with R&D in these cases. Perhaps it is an internal "legal" hold, based on their own judgements on patent-worthiness. It is possible for it to be a "patent" hold and still not really be in the USPTO's court as of yet. Only someone in Ford R&D or Ford Legal could tell us for sure, but that's rather unlikely.
Old 5/28/11, 10:19 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
That is not really a true statement. Ford could not even apply for certification until the first production cars were being sold due to some kind of stupid rule, it is not Ford's fault for that. So they could only even start the process around April, now think how slow government works and we come up with something like July at best. It should not have a problem passing, remember it does not add horsepower or effect gas mileage, right? Then again we are all getting 26 MPG in the Boss right?

I don't believe that for one second. What about new model cars? How can they SELL a car that has not been approved? Obviously a car maker would need to know that their car meets requirements BEFORE they PRODUCE and SELL a car.

I'm also pretty sure that Ford said it effects gas mileage. They said it's not something you would want to use for daily driving.

I guess we'll know for sure in a couple of months.
Old 5/28/11, 10:21 AM
Cobra Member

Are you retarded?
lol, was joking man
Old 5/28/11, 10:22 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Whammer
I don't believe that for one second. What about new model cars? How can they SELL a car that has not been approved? Obviously a car maker would need to know that their car meets requirements BEFORE they PRODUCE and SELL a car.
Believe it. That's what I originally thought as well. This is an accessory not a new car.
Old 5/28/11, 10:24 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
Believe it. That's what I originally thought as well. This is an accessory not a new car.
I suppose, but something still seems off to me. But like I said- we'll know in a couple of months.
Old 5/28/11, 10:30 AM
Cobra Member

i wish it had already come out, ive got an appt for mods in mid july so it seems ill never get to try it unless i go back to stock. i was looking froward to launch control too, mostly because its a really cool phrase. and because i cant launch a car lol
Old 5/28/11, 05:05 PM
Bullitt Member

i wish it had already come out, ive got an appt for mods in mid july so it seems ill never get to try it unless i go back to stock. i was looking froward to launch control too, mostly because its a really cool phrase. and because i cant launch a car lol
Launch control is pretty cool. I use a feature in my old EEC IV ECU that allows me to pull timing in 1st gear at selected Load/RPM levels. In combination with the 2-step in the ignition box, launch is floor it, dump the clutch and hold on as the timing comes in lifting the front wheels.

The above about the patent office is pretty much true. Up until recently, they'd approve most anything as they generally don't have the expertise to know if a technology is unique. More recently I would get some pushback - perhaps someone told them that I was making cracks about patenting a ham sandwich. But even when they do have an issue, they give the applicant a chance to clarify and perhaps eliminate some of the claims that are too broad. A patent almost never gets rejected. Besides, a good applicant will do an extensive patent search to verify that a their invention is indeed unique before applying for a patent. It is highly unlikely that a massive company like Ford would have a patent rejected. Also, it's generally taken 1 - 2 years to get a patent from application to being granted, not sure if Ford has a way to get expedited review.
Old 5/28/11, 05:15 PM
GT Member

I want it for the idle lobing cam feature too- I love the sound of that, and sounds like my old 91 Pushrod engine with an E-cam.

Launch control will be so much fun to try out and use as well. I cant wait.

Ford, please get that track key software out for us to buy soon! $302 dollars and lets do it!!
Old 5/28/11, 09:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Maybe Ford is waiting for Track Attack in Utah where they can introduce it as training session. That would be worth waiting for!
Old 5/28/11, 10:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Are you retarded?

http://www.youtube.com/v/T549VoLca_Q&hl=en_US&
Old 5/28/11, 10:34 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by BOSS_man
Does this mean Bill Ford isn't?
Old 5/28/11, 11:18 PM