The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2012-2013 BOSS 302 (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f813/)
-   -   Some Interesting Trackey Info (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f813/some-interesting-trackey-info-495813/)

2012YellowBoss 5/26/11 08:17 PM

Some Interesting Trackey Info

http://www.mustangevolution.com/must...ost-cam-tunes/

http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...08/#post902316

Lots of strange news coming out about Trackey, guess we are the lucky ones to be the first with this (if it ever arrives).

ShaneM 5/27/11 12:20 PM

i was told that a few weeks back and posted it up in a thread around here. no one really believed it at the time. My source was right it seems. the same source also said that patent is what is holding track key up, not CARB. According to source track key patent went up once at the USPTO and was denied the patent and they are trying again, hence the continuing delay.

my old thread: https://themustangsource.com/f813/he...ck-key-494793/

Scouped biatches lol :) Now never doubt me again!

stupidgenius36 5/27/11 12:22 PM

Sucks for those that wanted the Ghost Cam tune...

Traveler1949 5/27/11 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by ShaneM (Post 6081121)
i was told that a few weeks back and posted it up in a thread around here. no one really believed it at the time. My source was right it seems. the same source also said that patent is what is holding track key up, not CARB. According to source track key patent went up once at the USPTO and was denied the patent and they are trying again, hence the continuing delay.

my old thread: https://themustangsource.com/f813/he...ck-key-494793/

Scouped biatches lol :) Now never doubt me again!

Did a pretty thorough search and could not find a patent application for Trackey or anything that sounded like it might be part of it. There are a bunch but they mainly have to do with EcoBoost.

2012YellowBoss 5/27/11 01:02 PM

I don't think the patent would "hold it up" they may be trying to get one but that would not effect the release of what they have. I spoke with one of Ford's marketing directors and he told me it was in fact CARB.

The way the program will work (from what I understand) is that it is ordered with the VIN and car number. Dealer installs it and the program will erase itself, so there is no patent issue there with someone trying to copy it.

CaptDistraction 5/27/11 01:16 PM

as I said in another thread:

I'm also disappointed that this will be no longer offered. Whether or not its a "fake" mod, it was neat to be able to tune the mustang's idle sound and behavior.

I wanted it because it separated my mustang's note from another 2011 that wasn't as modified as mine is. I love the boss 302's track key sound, and I hope Ford isn't so short-sighted as to alienate their fanbase of 2011+ Mustang GT owners by making that technology specific to the very limited edition boss. There's plenty of other ways that the boss is exclusive, so to me it makes absolutely no sense. Especially with how passionate the Team Mustang development people have been up to this point.

I wouldn't have purchased a mustang had I not been pulled aside at the 2010 Rolex24 at Daytona by the mustang's coyote engineering team and had a long chat about how simply badass the motor was and how passionate they were about mustang performance.

2012YellowBoss 5/27/11 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by CaptDistraction (Post 6081150)
I hope Ford isn't so short-sighted as to alienate their fanbase of 2011+ Mustang GT owners by making that technology specific to the very limited edition boss. There's plenty of other ways that the boss is exclusive, so to me it makes absolutely no sense.

IMHO, the Boss is the Guinea pig for this new technology, I would bet in time we will see it out there for F150's !

Plus every other car company doing this also :lol:

5 DOT 0 5/27/11 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by ShaneM (Post 6081121)
My source was right it seems. the same source also said that patent is what is holding track key up, not CARB.

My source tells me that CARB is the ONLY thing holding up TracKey. :yup: :yup: :yup:

Jza1736 5/27/11 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
My source tells me that CARB is the ONLY thing holding up TracKey. :yup: :yup: :yup:

I hear the same

Big Vito 5/27/11 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0

This

Mustang_Man 5/27/11 03:25 PM

Patent isn't likely to be holding up anything. It only takes a few days to put together a patent application (I have 4 patents, I know) and as long as it's applied for prior to a commercial offer to sell, the patent prevents anybody from stealing the technology. Now if clever people heard about what Ford was planning to do with the track key and did similar (or just figured it out on their own - it doesn't take a particularly smart person to realize the possibilities with dual independently adjustable cams), then these tuners are withholding product as a service to Ford. Or more accurately, not to bite the hand that feeds them.

Dig-It Racing 5/27/11 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0 (Post 6081162)

That's what the Ford Racing rep at VIR told me today. He let me hear what it sounded like on a silver LS out here at the track. SWEEEEET!!!!!

It'll be worth the wait!

cdynaco 5/27/11 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by BOSS_man (Post 6081243)
(or just figured it out on their own - it doesn't take a particularly smart person to realize the possibilities with dual independently adjustable cams),

Well that's what I think - how can they patent something that isn't unique to Ford, the 5.0, or the Boss??
Using DOHC to adjust valve timing is not new. Neither is using computer controlled hydrualics to adjust cams.

Whammer 5/27/11 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Big Vito (Post 6081232)
This

So if CARB is holding it up then it's possible it will not be approved.

5 DOT 0 5/27/11 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Whammer (Post 6081333)

Anything is possible

2012YellowBoss 5/27/11 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Whammer (Post 6081333)

That is not really a true statement. Ford could not even apply for certification until the first production cars were being sold due to some kind of stupid rule, it is not Ford's fault for that. So they could only even start the process around April, now think how slow government works and we come up with something like July at best. It should not have a problem passing, remember it does not add horsepower or effect gas mileage, right? Then again we are all getting 26 MPG in the Boss right?

Dean#4AI 5/27/11 07:25 PM

I would think they would be more interested in emissions.
I'm sure Ford wouldn't have bothered if there was much of a chance it wouldn't be approved.

PTRocks 5/27/11 08:01 PM

From the conversation I had a couple weeks back with one of the guys working on TracKey, Ford was close to certifying the tune. After that, CARB gets a car with the tune for evaluation, and approval comes three months later. So we're supposedly still three months out by now.

ShaneM 5/27/11 10:22 PM

what i was told is that it is very difficult to get a patent approved for a software functionality. ford applied for the patent, waited it out because they wanted to be sure it was granted before track key went out. if they only put in the patent app, then put track key out and the patent was declined they would be SOL and others could take that and build off it. i honestly dont get why it would matter if other cars had tghost cam, ford will sell anyone any part off the boss they want so why not the tune.

Still, i was told the original patent was denied, then ford went to tweak and resubmit hoping to get the patent the second time around. it makes sens, an app is not a guarantee of a patent. time will tell, but if the lund tune is not being sold, bama isnt offering one anymore, and they are saying its a ford patent issues i tend to believe it.

Big Vito 5/27/11 10:36 PM

I talked to a guy at the store and he said it was CARB