Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

So what deal did you make to get your Boss?

Search this Thread

Old 9/29/11, 09:07 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by black_bullitt
I paid sticker for my no options BOSS, right at $41k.

You have to keep in mind there are deals to be had on GT500's... I mean, they're everywhere.
41 was what mine costed new. What do you mean buy no options. I thought they only came in Boss and LS.
Old 9/29/11, 09:12 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Options are Recaros/LSD and Car Cover/Floor Mats.
Old 9/29/11, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by ApexCars
Options are Recaros/LSD and Car Cover/Floor Mats.
LSD sounds like a great option.
Old 9/29/11, 09:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
I wasn't bragging or stirring. Did you see my second post? I was sympathetic to anyone that has lost their job. I was assuming that, if you're making a deal with your spouse to buy a car, you could actually afford it.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting you are unsympathetic, I have no way of knowing. Rather, I was commenting on your apparent lack of knowledge of what a typical "two income family" is and how in fact a $45k boss is a big deal, that is all.
Old 9/29/11, 09:40 AM

I'm with you guys. $45k is a big deal for a toy. Maybe not for some. I could not do it for a car that I will abuse for sure. Just couldn't justify it.
Old 9/29/11, 09:43 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
LSD sounds like a great option.
LSD IS a great option!! Leaving parallel tire marks is like a drug.
Old 9/29/11, 09:49 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Fat Boss
Agreed. (Did I just agree with you? ) I read somewhere that to succeed or at least more than get by you need to make twice your age in salary in thousands. In the bay area I think it's more like 3 times. If you aren't then you shouldn't be buying a new Boss IMHO. 25k is what 12 bucks an hour? I'd sure hate to try and raise a family on that or twice that. Being single and very lucky to work for a great company and a great "boss" I'm glad I can afford a "Boss."
Another good guide is that you should not have more money tied up in depreciating assets, such as cars, boats, ATV, PWC, etc; that are combined worth more than half your annual gross income (according to Dave Ramsey). I think a few of us bought the Boss as a toy, not a DD. So according to the above you should be pulling down at least $100k to buy that toy (not even counting the other vehicles you may have). Not judging anyone, just throwing out some old guy advice.
Old 9/29/11, 10:04 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
As far as getting my wife to agree to let me buy the Boss, she never really did and is still griping about it. I told her that it was time for me to get a car and that since every car we have bought since 2000 was for her until she got tired of it then she handed it down to me so she could get a new car, it was my turn.
I had the same discussion with my wife, pointing out that she gets the new cars and I (or the kids) got her hand me downs. She was nice enough to not point out (or maybe she forgot) that her "new" car is 8 years old and that I had purchased 3 used cars since her last and current new car. But she did persuade me to sell 2 of my used cars.

I only got away with getting the Boss because both of my kids think it is really cool.
My kids were way in favor of me buying the Boss. And they are both out of the house and married with kids.
Old 9/29/11, 10:23 AM
Cobra Member

All interesting points about the budgetary impact of a car such as this. We aren't talking about a guy who works as a landscaper, and the only vehicle he owns is his pickup truck that he uses to keep a roof over his head and food on the table. We are talking mostly about a 2nd vehicle, though I'm sure there are quite a few people who can only afford 1 car and live in a decent climate that they can drive it year round.

I've been married over 20 years, and the wife got her first new car out of college after her used Prelude got stolen, Honda CRXsi. I was still driving Ford sh1tboxes year after year while we got the Accord once we started a family and then moved onto minivan hell. The wife got the new minivan to drive while I drove in no paticular order, a 77 Tbird, 76 LTD cop car, 73 Lincoln, 78 LTD II, 70 Merc Cyclone GT, 96 Buick Roadmaster.

When we finally earned enough and my Buick Roadmaster got hit and they couldn't find body parts to fix, I got my first new car in '07, a nice Infiniti G35x. Now a few years later, I sold my G37S as I hated the clutch and am now tooling around in a paid for '97 Grand Marquis from FL until we can save up enough of a down payment. I could go out tomorrow and buy a decent used car that would be fun to drive and much newer than the Merc, but I am willing to wait. Being fortunate enough to be in a position to buy something like this makes me count my blessings every day.

I'm sure most of us have had our share of crappy vehicles, and have made sacrifices for other so they could have their new ride. I can't wait to have the joy of taking delivery of a new Boss taking into account the time, effort, and sacrifice it took to get it. It will be worth it all in the end, much more so I think than if it were just handed to me, say if I won a contest or something...