Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

So what deal did you make to get your Boss?

Search this Thread

Old 9/27/11, 08:28 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My deal was made 14 years ago when we got re-married. I committed to never putting the family in financial jeopardy by not being able to provide what she and the kids needed. With that said I told her she could never question my toy purchases from motorcycles(5), sleds(1),boats(1), pwc(2), ATV/SXS(3), and now the Boss.

She knows I would sell it all at the drop of hat if needed.
Old 9/27/11, 09:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mjbarnet
My wife said if I got a Boss I would have to get a new wife...I told her that wasn't fair because I couldn't afford a second Mustang AND a second wife

Told my wife I need a better track car, and she didn't blink. I said it would easily fit in the new 30x44' garage I'm building out back.
She might want a crossover next spring. And in the future some upgrades to our house. Seems fair to me.
Old 9/28/11, 06:43 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ace72ace
My kids aren't going anywhere near my Boss or the wife's GT any time soon.
I wish my 7 year old son and 10 year old daughter were old enough to drive it. They are missing out on some real fun.
Old 9/28/11, 06:49 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by AlsCobra

It's not as much a money issue as it is an expensive toy issue. You won't use it every day and it's not really gonna make you any money. Kinda like a Harley. Just a toy.
It's so much fun, I do use it every day.
Old 9/28/11, 07:15 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2
I wish my 7 year old son and 10 year old daughter were old enough to drive it. They are missing out on some real fun.
I guess I should qualify this... I have 4 kids, 2 older girls and 2 younger boys, 19,17,12,10. The 19yo is sophomore at UNH and takes after her mother, very responsible and trustworthy, she gets to drive the wife's 5.0, but that's more my wife's call than mine. However it's a moot point as she bought her own VW Beetle to get to school, so driving the car is optional for her. Now my younger daughter, unfortunately takes after me ('tude and behavior as a teenager), and shows poor judgment behind the wheel, as evidenced by all the body damage on the family minivan. On top of that, she also has much more of the immature teenage mentality and attitude, and thus won't drive the Mustang unless either of the parents are riding shotgun. The fact that she doesn't yet know how to drive a stick shift is helping us put off this question a bit longer, but she ain't takin' the 5.0 to the senior prom...

As far as my sons go, my older son also takes after me, but with much less 'tude than her sister, so he's a 'maybe' on driving the Mustang once he reaches driving age. My youngest son shows a lot of maturity at such a young age, and seems a lot like his oldest sister and thus would likely be trusted to drive responsibly. Given the psyche of adolescent males, I really think I would want my sons (and maybe even the 17yo) to attend one of the advanced driving courses at a race track, with classroom instruction and then time behind the wheel with a professional instructor. Learning the limits of a high performance automobile at a young age I think would be a worthwhile investment.

My oldest son wants me to get 'the black Boss' cause he thinks the color combo with the black stripes are 'epic'. Doesn't matter to him that it would be another 5k more than an optioned base Boss, or that it has no back seat, he just think it looks super cool, and would give just about anything to be seen being dropped off at school in one. I keep trying to tell him a 'regular Boss' should be just fine for the wow factor, but he'll hear none of it... Daaaaaaad, get the black one! He'll have to settle for a race red 2013 with HIDs and exhaust restrictors out.
Attached Thumbnails So what deal did you make to get your Boss?-mustang_1600x1200.jpg  
Old 9/28/11, 12:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sometimes, negotiating with the spouse is harder than with the dealer.
Old 9/28/11, 01:22 PM
INKY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It was very easy here. I feel in love with the Boss once I saw it. I was going to settle for a 5.0 after having no luck with the Boss through the New Car Sales on base, stationed in Germany. Once I started reading more I decided to start looking for one stateside online and shipping it over, which is exactly what I did. Pick her up on Monday and can't believe how much fun it is. Wife has been behind me 100% the whole time. Can't say to much with her Grabber Orange 08 GT in the driveway.
Old 9/28/11, 02:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I had to agree to never buy another car - ever again.
Old 9/28/11, 04:19 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Dig-It Racing
Surely you can't be serious...?

<wait for it...>
Old 9/28/11, 04:20 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
...and you're how old?
Old 9/28/11, 05:03 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
My wife said as long as I dont buy another car. Pretty sure she meant until I get rid of the Mustang.
I'll use it against her when its time to replace her ride, or she will have to buy it herself
Old 9/28/11, 05:15 PM

No wife here. My deal was with myself during my last deployment, I told myself to get debt free. The BOSS was my reward to myself.

I think maybe I need to get a decal like this...

Old 9/28/11, 08:21 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by black_bullitt
No wife here. My deal was with myself during my last deployment, I told myself to get debt free. The BOSS was my reward to myself.

I think maybe I need to get a decal like this...
Congrats on the Boss and being debt free.
Old 9/29/11, 12:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
Am I missing something? The Boss isn't expensive and it definitely shouldn't be a big deal for a two income family.
This a joke or something?

The typical Boss sells for about $45k before taxes, license and insurance. The median U.S. family gross income (yes with 2 incomes) is just about $50k, again before taxes.

Ignoring costs of food, housing, education, any activities for children, the average family would have to work for about a year and half to afford just buying the boss. (That is, working only to pay for the Boss)

Factor in 10% unemployment, 24% under employment and you have recipe for high risk on top of the year and half of labor for a car. So, yes it is a big deal to the majority of American's at present.

Last edited by askjeffro; 9/29/11 at 12:06 AM.
Old 9/29/11, 03:10 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by askjeffro

This a joke or something?

The typical Boss sells for about $45k before taxes, license and insurance. The median U.S. family gross income (yes with 2 incomes) is just about $50k, again before taxes.

Ignoring costs of food, housing, education, any activities for children, the average family would have to work for about a year and half to afford just buying the boss. (That is, working only to pay for the Boss)

Factor in 10% unemployment, 24% under employment and you have recipe for high risk on top of the year and half of labor for a car. So, yes it is a big deal to the majority of American's at present.
That's is 11ShelbyGT500s way of bragging or stirring the pot. Because 45k is alot of money to the vast majority of people, especially when you have a mortgage and kids in college along with another car payment for the family vehicle.

Last edited by UnrealFord; 9/29/11 at 03:12 AM.
Old 9/29/11, 07:08 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wasn't bragging or stirring. Did you see my second post? I was sympathetic to anyone that has lost their job. I was assuming that, if you're making a deal with your spouse to buy a car, you could actually afford it. If you're making 50k together, you shouldn't be talking about a new Boss. If you have kids in college, you're in your 40's 50's and IF you're only making 25k at that age, you didn't do it something right.

Last edited by 11SHELBYGT500; 9/29/11 at 07:14 AM.
Old 9/29/11, 08:39 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Are you guys really paying $45k for a boss? That seems really high. My buddy bought his GT500 for right at $46k. Really thought they were going for $40k tops. Huh
Old 9/29/11, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
Are you guys really paying $45k for a boss? That seems really high. My buddy bought his GT500 for right at $46k. Really thought they were going for $40k tops. Huh
I paid sticker for my no options BOSS, right at $41k.

You have to keep in mind there are deals to be had on GT500's... I mean, they're everywhere.
Old 9/29/11, 09:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
I wasn't bragging or stirring. Did you see my second post? I was sympathetic to anyone that has lost their job. I was assuming that, if you're making a deal with your spouse to buy a car, you could actually afford it. If you're making 50k together, you shouldn't be talking about a new Boss. If you have kids in college, you're in your 40's 50's and IF you're only making 25k at that age, you didn't do it something right.
Agreed. (Did I just agree with you? ) I read somewhere that to succeed or at least more than get by you need to make twice your age in salary in thousands. In the bay area I think it's more like 3 times. If you aren't then you shouldn't be buying a new Boss IMHO. 25k is what 12 bucks an hour? I'd sure hate to try and raise a family on that or twice that. Being single and very lucky to work for a great company and a great "boss" I'm glad I can afford a "Boss."
Old 9/29/11, 09:05 AM
GT Member

Yes Al, we are actually paying sticker or more for Bosses. Very few people have been able to get them for under sticker and even then not much under. It's a supposedly rare car that just came out.

If a GT500 is the car you want, then yes, there are deals to be had because it has been around awhile. If they keep making Bosses then in a few years there will be great deals available on them also. But if you really fell in love with the car and feel that you really want one now or that they may stop making them and this will be your only chance to buy a brand new Boss then you are going to have to pay.

As far as getting my wife to agree to let me buy the Boss, she never really did and is still griping about it. I told her that it was time for me to get a car and that since every car we have bought since 2000 was for her until she got tired of it then she handed it down to me so she could get a new car, it was my turn. Since 2000 she has had 2 mini vans, an Expedition, Jaguar, Acura, Mustang GT, and a Cadillac CTS. She then said that I was being ridiculous looking at a 2 seater. I explained that now that our oldest daughter is driving and has her own car, we will have plenty of other vehicles that can carry all 4 of us. I also reminded her that she had been looking at Corvettes a year ago and that they don't make a 4seater in a Corvette.

After that she didn't have much to say other than that she had been wanting to replace her CTS and we don't need 2 car payments!! I only got away with getting the Boss because both of my kids think it is really cool.

Quick Reply: So what deal did you make to get your Boss?