Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Remove the Discs!

Search this Thread

Old 3/18/11, 07:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
So it looks like the disc has depth to it. So you remove the bolts, slide the whole assembly out, remove the disc, and reinstall the assembly sans disc. The dump valves would replace the whole assembly I guess. I'll remove mine but if it's too loud I'll open up the hole in the disc and reinstall. I guess you can tune the sound to your liking. Sweet. We'll have to track different sizes in the hole. Anyone got a decibel meter? Oh I do.

What we really need to know is if and how much of a HP gain there might be from removing the disc.

You can't slide the disc out due to the fact that you remove the nuts and the studs stay on the h pipe side...if it was bolts you would not have to remove the 15mm bolt from the rocker side of the exhaust, and remove it to accomplish this...also the spacer would fall out and reinstalling the spacer and 2 gaskets i guess would have been harder to do according to Ford??
Old 3/19/11, 07:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2006stiguy
You can't slide the disc out due to the fact that you remove the nuts and the studs stay on the h pipe side...if it was bolts you would not have to remove the 15mm bolt from the rocker side of the exhaust, and remove it to accomplish this...also the spacer would fall out and reinstalling the spacer and 2 gaskets i guess would have been harder to do according to Ford??
So when you remove the discs, do you get any drone at cruising speeds? I know there very little "cruising" go on, but just curious.
Old 3/19/11, 12:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Sorry guys, was out of town on business. Drove the Boss from DC to West Virginia and had a blast. No hwy drone without the disks, just a nice loud rumble while cruising and distinct hammering on acceleration. There is also a cool thwap sound during engine breaking which sounds to me a bit like a lopey idle. With the trackey, the sound will be amazing. Removing the discs does makes a big difference both inside and outside the car in terms of volume.

One cool thing is hearing the side pipes while driving alongside a jersey barrier or through an underpass; the sound that echoes is excellent. I will try to get a sound file up shortly, but can't figure out a way to do it via iPhone.
Old 3/19/11, 01:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by atrain1975
Sorry guys, was out of town on business. Drove the Boss from DC to West Virginia and had a blast. No hwy drone without the disks, just a nice loud rumble while cruising and distinct hammering on acceleration. There is also a cool thwap sound during engine breaking which sounds to me a bit like a lopey idle. With the trackey, the sound will be amazing. Removing the discs does makes a big difference both inside and outside the car in terms of volume.

One cool thing is hearing the side pipes while driving alongside a jersey barrier or through an underpass; the sound that echoes is excellent. I will try to get a sound file up shortly, but can't figure out a way to do it via iPhone.
Old 3/19/11, 02:21 PM
Cobra Member

You SUCK--->I'm so JEAOULS!!, Thanks for giving us a reason to keep an eye on these **** computer's.
Old 3/19/11, 02:25 PM
Cobra Member

Im pretty sure with the iPhone u can create a voice memo and that will create an audio clip that you can transfer to your computer via iTunes. It's been awhile since I've had an iPhone. But I'm pretty sure that will work! I can't wait to hear it!!!
Old 3/19/11, 08:16 PM
V6 Member

You're Boss looks awesome!
Old 3/19/11, 08:58 PM
V6 Member

Old 3/20/11, 05:38 PM

Guys
A little heads up for you. We just got back from Detroit. We did a test fit on the Boss 302 exhaust at Ford. We are building electric cutouts for Ford Racing. It is a brand new style since the exhaust uses a 2 bolt design. Came out very nice and fits very well. It also sound very nice open. Nice a deep rumble.
They should be available from Ford Racing in 30-45 days.

I will try to get a picture of it in the next day or so.
Old 3/20/11, 05:40 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Quick Time
Guys
A little heads up for you. We just got back from Detroit. We did a test fit on the Boss 302 exhaust at Ford. We are building electric cutouts for Ford Racing. It is a brand new style since the exhaust uses a 2 bolt design. Came out very nice and fits very well. It also sound very nice open. Nice a deep rumble.

Great. How will they actuate, by remote? Any idea on price?
Old 3/20/11, 05:41 PM
Cobra Member

Guys

Put me down for 1.
Old 3/20/11, 05:57 PM
FR500 Member

Guys

Let's hope there will be a "Loud" button where the auxiliary outlet is on the dash...
Old 3/20/11, 09:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Guys

siiiiiiiiiiiiiick
Old 3/20/11, 10:53 PM
Cobra Member

All depends on price & how loud they are. I will probably want them open all the time anyway.
Old 3/21/11, 01:37 AM

Guys

Nice... Hope the Track Key is ready by then!

So, now we're looking at three must haves!
Springs, Gauges and Cutouts. So much for trying to keep this one stock!

Last edited by manOwar; 3/21/11 at 01:41 AM.
Old 3/21/11, 06:30 AM
GT Member

Guys

Thanks Guys, When we talked about 2months ago you were looking for a set up. Will you be doing the units with the hole in the disk and will you be able to modulate the opening like the upgraded units you make now.
Old 3/21/11, 09:21 AM
V6 Member

Do you need to put some sort of gasket in place of the disc?
Old 3/21/11, 09:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by merc50
Do you need to put some sort of gasket in place of the disc?
No - the disc itself is very thin.
Old 3/21/11, 01:11 PM

The product will be sold through ford so i can not state any pricing.

It will be similar to our standard electric cutouts. This one will be specific to the bolt pattern of the Boss exhaust.

It will come with our new remotes to control it.

Here is a teaser pic.

Old 3/21/11, 01:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Looking good...I see BOSS302 engraving as well!

I'm assuming the cutout eliminates each sidepipe, and the exhaust exits where the cutout is located?

Last edited by 06GT; 3/21/11 at 01:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Remove the Discs!