Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Kona Blue and Black Stripes/Roof

Search this Thread

Old 3/8/11, 06:57 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MJockey
If your going to paint the roof blue, I would remove the strips all together and go with the sleeper look.
Today I'm in a mood to leave it stock.
Old 4/12/11, 12:25 PM
GT Member

I think the flat black (or maybe a semi-gloss?) looks good.
I really like the first pic.
Something about the gloss in the 2nd pic is not doing it for me.

Old 4/12/11, 12:40 PM
Cobra Member

i'd so do the black roof, but in gloss 3m vinyl. woudl be cheaper than the blakc and if yo get tired of it all you need is a new sticker pack from ford and you will be golden and stock. i dont liek thehite stripes with the black wheels. i realyl and truly wonder why they didnt offer black as an option on kona, it looks much better than white IMHO
Old 4/12/11, 01:03 PM
Bullitt Member

I think all the cars would have looked better with flat black decals instead of the glossy finish.
Old 4/12/11, 01:13 PM
Cobra Member

ive got matte black on my 10 and they are no fun to maintain, the shelby guys in mny local club jsut wax over the glossy ones.
Old 4/12/11, 01:31 PM

The original decals (they are not 3M tape) are only available in gloss black, red, and white. If I change them, not likely this week, I'll be using the stock gloss black decals. I've said this many times before that the high gloss black wheels don't look right with the high gloss white decal set. They do look incredible with the black decal set. FYI the decal set is over $1K so it's not likely that people will be changing back and forth.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

Last edited by 5 DOT 0; 4/12/11 at 01:34 PM.
Old 4/12/11, 07:04 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JPJr
I think the flat black (or maybe a semi-gloss?) looks good.
I really like the first pic.
Something about the gloss in the 2nd pic is not doing it for me.
Man that really looks outstanding, I love it. If I had the b**** to do it I think it would great on all the colors but real nice on mine. Rick, don't know what you will do but if you go into the expense of changing to black going matte would be the way to go and yes the wheels look better with the black matte or not.
Old 4/12/11, 07:31 PM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 343 Likes on 216 Posts
FANTASTIC!

I would not have to wait until the next MY had that combo been offered. IMO the white accents seem out of place, regardless of the Boss heritage.
Old 4/12/11, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
Man that really looks outstanding, I love it. If I had the b**** to do it I think it would great on all the colors but real nice on mine. Rick, don't know what you will do but if you go into the expense of changing to black going matte would be the way to go and yes the wheels look better with the black matte or not.
If Ford offered a matte black decal set I would consider it. But they don't. I would only use the original Ford decal set. If I do change colors I've decided that I would paint the roof black where previously I stated I would paint it blue. Another member here has a kona blue 2010 GT with matte black stripes on his car and I hope to meet him later this Spring. That will give me a first hand view of how it might look. He also just added the TruCarbon carbon fiber rear spoiler so I'll get so see that as well. It's in my budget to either change the wheels or stripe color so stay tuned.
Old 4/12/11, 08:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
If Ford offered a matte black decal set I would consider it. But they don't. I would only use the original Ford decal set. If I do change colors I've decided that I would paint the roof black where previously I stated I would paint it blue. Another member here has a kona blue 2010 GT with matte black stripes on his car and I hope to meet him later this Spring. That will give me a first hand view of how it might look. He also just added the TruCarbon carbon fiber rear spoiler so I'll get so see that as well. It's in my budget to either change the wheels or stripe color so stay tuned.
I would think you could get a set made up for less then the official cost somewhere but then again what do I know as I still have not checked on my roof. It will be done, that is for sure, just need to get off my lazy butt.
Old 4/13/11, 01:25 PM
Bullitt Member

kind of off topic, but I'd love to see someone come out with a matte black Boss 302 stripe kit for the C stripes, hood, and even a matte black vinyl for the roof so it could be reversed.

I'd love to see this... a black 302 Laguna Seca with the grille surround painted black, and a matte black stripe kit with the roof having a matte black vinyl to cover the red, matte black vinyl to cover the red rear spoiler and the wheels powdercoated matte-black or gunmetal... that is my dream.
Old 4/14/11, 12:15 PM
RTD
GT Member

What was Ford thinking by NOT releasing that combo. It's beautiful. If available, it probably would have accounted for 90% of Bosses sold.
Old 4/14/11, 03:46 PM
Cobra R Member

Well so much for the vinyl wrap on the roof. I went to a place today and they said they would not be able to match the color correctly. Also they have only four foot sections so there would be a seam.

He said even if they could do it the cost would be more then $500. So I am going to have to paint it. He did tell me he could do the side stripes for around $350 and the hood for $100 in matte/flat black. I really want to do it, I could easily paint the trunk lid top in matte and it would all match what is left, the tail light panel and louvers.

I got some thinkin to do

Last edited by 2012YellowBoss; 4/14/11 at 09:10 PM.
Old 4/14/11, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
So I am going to have to paint it. He did tell me he could do the side stripes for around $350 and the hood for $100 in matte/flat black. I really want to do it, I could easily paint the trunk lid top in matte and it would all match what is left, the tail light panel and louvers.

I got some thikin to do
Scott if you paint it your car won't be original.
Old 4/14/11, 09:08 PM
Cobra R Member

Yep, that hard first step. So I am thinking that it may be the first flat black Boss. This way I don't have to buy a new deck lid, just paint it flat on top, add the spoiler I have, replace the hood and side stripes. Then it will match the louvers and taillight panel.

The other option is paint the roof, leave the stripes but buy and paint a new deck lid and paint the louvers. This will cost more and I would be happier with the flat black. I am really leaning with the flat and need to talk more with these guys to see how the stripes come out.

Want to order a set? May get a better price on two sets
Old 4/14/11, 09:19 PM

Short of painting your car pink you should do what makes you happy and don't worry IF the changes might impact the value of your car 20 years from now.

I'm hoping someone else will do the black stripes on KB before my car arrives so I can see what it looks like. I'll get new wheels or swap white for black but I won't do both. Or at least I won't tell my wife.

Last edited by 5 DOT 0; 4/14/11 at 09:58 PM.
Old 4/14/11, 09:29 PM
Cobra R Member

If he paints it he doesn't get it
Old 4/15/11, 10:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Short of painting your car pink you should do what makes you happy and don't worry IF the changes might impact the value of your car 20 years from now.

I'm hoping someone else will do the black stripes on KB before my car arrives so I can see what it looks like. I'll get new wheels or swap white for black but I won't do both. Or at least I won't tell my wife.
The car is only going to be worth something (more than what we paid) 20 years from now if Ford stops building faster and better Mustangs. So unless some Government mandate kills the performance V8, I wouldn't worry about the collectablity.
Old 4/15/11, 02:36 PM
Cobra R Member

As of now I have no plans to sell it and I am not thinking much about value. I would not do things that would directly hurt the value of the car but my concern is keeping it as original as possibile just for the sake of it.

In any case there are a few things I would like to do, the spoiler and roof and first on the list. It will be something that can be changed back if needed. I think this Boss will look great with the flat black stripes as would any color Boss.
Old 4/15/11, 04:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm thinking about blacking out my roof with vinyl. Looks easy except for getting under front windshield trim.

Quick Reply: Kona Blue and Black Stripes/Roof