Notices
2012-2013 BOSS 302

Kona Blue and Black Stripes/Roof

Search this Thread

Old 3/1/11, 01:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kona Blue and Black Stripes/Roof

So how many of you are going to swap your Kona Blue car over to black? Do you care about hurting whatever "collectors" value there might be? The only thing that gets to me is the addtional cost of new stripes and painting the roof. Even with Sync and HID the more I read about the car the more I want to get it.
Old 3/1/11, 02:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by bpmurr
So how many of you are going to swap your Kona Blue car over to black? Do you care about hurting whatever "collectors" value there might be? The only thing that gets to me is the addtional cost of new stripes and painting the roof. Even with Sync and HID the more I read about the car the more I want to get it.
There are quite a few talking about it for sure. The cost alone will make it where I won't do it. I will change my front grill before I change anything else on the car. I personally like the white and blue look. The roof looks a little ridiculous but it's growing on me every time I look at the car. Other owners may put the stickers on their cars, but I don't see too many wanting to paint their roof a total different color to make a Boss replica...so it's all good in my book.
Old 3/1/11, 03:13 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nccstud
There are quite a few talking about it for sure. The cost alone will make it where I won't do it. I will change my front grill before I change anything else on the car. I personally like the white and blue look. The roof looks a little ridiculous but it's growing on me every time I look at the car. Other owners may put the stickers on their cars, but I don't see too many wanting to paint their roof a total different color to make a Boss replica...so it's all good in my book.
The more pictures I see of the blue car, the more I like it white roof and all. I wouldn't change a thing on the appearance side.
Old 3/1/11, 03:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

If the LS had been available in Kona Blue / White Stripes, I would have gone that route.
Old 3/1/11, 05:55 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Arrow Maybe

I'm thinking about it. I've estimated the cost to get the roof painted and decals replaced will be around $2K. I'm fine with the white decals but I'm not too hot on the white roof. With the dark color it reminds me of a police car. But what appeals to me about the black stripes is the color integration with the black wheels and spoiler. Plus all of the other black parts. If you look at the cars with the black stripes they look more like a complete package to me. I'm not going to do many mods to the suspension and engine so changing the looks is where I'll focus. I'll probably get the car and think it's the coolest looking car on the planet and not touch it. But if not I'll paint the roof blue first and see how I like it with the white stripes. If I'm still not happy I'll swap out the stripes. I'm hoping to get a couple more PS of the car and will post if I get them.

As for collector value it won't hurt that if there ever is a collector value. If you look at all the mega buck older Mustangs they have all been rebuilt from the ground up and that hasn't hurt the value. Changing decals and painting the roof is not a big deal. What's going to hold the cars value is the engine.

First this:

Then maybe this:

Old 3/1/11, 06:21 PM
V6 Member

Well you can have the best of both worlds. Dont paint the roof, have it wrapped in 3M wraptivo and it will allow you to revert to white for sale or when you feel like it. You are talking 2-250 to get the roof wrapped BY A PROFESSIONAL and then the vinyl kit.. No matter what you say, a retro,rebuild will never be worth as much as an original unrestored.
Old 3/1/11, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by blkside
Well you can have the best of both worlds. Dont paint the roof, have it wrapped in 3M wraptivo and it will allow you to revert to white for sale or when you feel like it. You are talking 2-250 to get the roof wrapped BY A PROFESSIONAL and then the vinyl kit.. No matter what you say, a retro,rebuild will never be worth as much as an original unrestored.
It's not going to hurt the value over the long term. Short term maybe. Do they have 3M in kona blue? If I paint the roof blue and don't like it I can repaint it. I'm not buying the car as an investment. Again it's the engine that will generate long term value. I have a friend with a 1969 Mach 1 with the 428 CJ. The engine option was $357 back in 1969, he has the original invoice. Compare that to a 1969 Mach I non CJ. There's a HUGE difference in value and it's based on the engine. The original Boss cars are valuable mainly because of the engine.

Last edited by 5 DOT 0; 3/1/11 at 07:32 PM.
Old 3/1/11, 06:41 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by blkside
Tim
or anyone have links to more info about this? I know nothing about it.
Old 3/1/11, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
Tim
or anyone have links to more info about this? I know nothing about it.
I'd leave the black roof on your car but you can have someone wrap your trunk in black.
Old 3/1/11, 07:01 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
I'd leave the black roof on your car but you can have someone wrap your trunk in black.
I am getting a new deck lid because I need to drill for the spoiler. I will paint it like the 70 and I am going to add louvers also. That may be too much black on top plus without the black roof (think FL) it will look more like the original. If this wrap thing looks good I would rather do that on the roof rather then paint. The roof will depend on how it looks after I do the other things first as it is always better to decide with the actual car in front of me.
Old 3/1/11, 07:04 PM

I forgot you were buying a new trunk lid.
Old 3/1/11, 07:18 PM
Cobra R Member

I forgot you were buying a new trunk lid.
Well, I got the gauge pack out of my system so it is this and saving my pennies for Utah and extra wheels. Besides pulling the discs I doubt I will mess with the motor, suspension or interior (well maybe some nice (er) mats).
Old 3/1/11, 07:21 PM
Cobra R Member

I'd leave the white one on yours
Old 3/1/11, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by 2012YellowBoss
Well, I got the gauge pack out of my system so it is this and saving my pennies for Utah and extra wheels. Besides pulling the discs I doubt I will mess with the motor, suspension or interior (well maybe some nice (er) mats).
Come on, you already have the mats. I've pretty much gotten the gauge pack out of my system too. Notice that not a single review last week mentioned anything positive about it? In fact I think only one or two articles even mentioned it at all. I'd be happy with one in the LS but I'm not going to pay that much for it. My point is that it's not that big of a deal not that there is anything wrong with the gauge pack.

Last edited by 5 DOT 0; 3/1/11 at 07:31 PM.
Old 3/1/11, 07:42 PM
Cobra R Member

Come on, you already have the mats. I've pretty much gotten the gauge pack out of my system too. Notice that not a single review last week mentioned anything positive about it? In fact I think only one or two articles even mentioned it at all. I'd be happy with one in the LS but I'm not going to pay that much for it. My point is that it's not that big of a deal not that there is anything wrong with the gauge pack.
Egg-zact-ly
Old 3/1/11, 07:55 PM
Cobra Member

I will definitely change the roof, hood and stripe colors - I'll paint the roof Kona and like Scott (2012YellowBoss) will get a new deck lid so I can put the spoiler I want on the car. Stripe colors for the C stripe and hood are still undecided. I plan to change many parts on my car to suit my tastes so I'm not worried about the collectability - I just want to DRIVE!! Collectability is what my K-code '66 fastback will be for (if I ever get it done!)
Old 3/1/11, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by MustangFanatic
I will definitely change the roof, hood and stripe colors - I'll paint the roof Kona and like Scott (2012YellowBoss) will get a new deck lid so I can put the spoiler I want on the car. Stripe colors for the C stripe and hood are still undecided. I plan to change many parts on my car to suit my tastes so I'm not worried about the collectability - I just want to DRIVE!! Collectability is what my K-code '66 fastback will be for (if I ever get it done!)
What spoiler are you going to put on your Boss?

Here's what I'm thinking about doing, a TruCarbon GT500 spoiler.

http://www.trucarbon.net/Trucarbon_M...25-dca42kr.htm

I PS'd this photo to remove the white GT500 stripes on the trunk.
Attached Thumbnails Kona Blue and Black Stripes/Roof-15_trucarbon_gt500_photoshop.jpg  

Last edited by 5 DOT 0; 3/1/11 at 08:49 PM.
Old 3/1/11, 08:01 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by MustangFanatic
Sounds sweet, what spoiler you going with? You plan to black out the deck lid or all blue?
Old 3/2/11, 08:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

Some interesting ideas. I like the thought of putting a vinyl wrap on the roof instead of painting it.
Old 3/2/11, 07:37 PM
Cobra Member

Rick - I hadn't seen that spoiler but I really like it! I was planning to go with a GT500 style rear spoiler.

Scott - right now leaning toward painting the spoiler black and leaving the decklid blue.

Quick Reply: Kona Blue and Black Stripes/Roof